Universal Dungeon Plunder by Dominic Duchesne (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Mar 5, 2013.

1. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Sigh.... The price of the perspective paradox....

2. Cheeseball

Cheeseball Active Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Product Trainer
    United States
    Yeah you're right. There is nearly no difference between a slot machine-like interface, physical throwing dice, and or a hidden system like in any JRPG/CRPG where calculations are done in the background. Everything is random.

The slot machine interface would have the attacks, spells, healing, etc. randomly roll down, but give you a visual chance to "hold" the commands you want to do. This is the simple equivalent to rolling multi-sided dice, where your chances to get attack rolls and saving throws are compounded by the bonuses and modifiers, which I liken to the "holding the slots". CRPGs/JRPGs hide these altogether and just show you the character sheet's stats for your own calculations.

Is it because the slot machine interface may make this rogue-like game "look" too basic, which might ruin the appeal?

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I'm enjoying it so far. I grabbed the deluxe edition to support the dev. Great work :)

4. Llamaentity

Llamaentity Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Just played this for four hours straight. Loving it so far.

Some of the interface elements look a bit basic but the pixel art is pleasing to the eye on my iPhone 5. I love the sounds of the slots, too, along with the mechanics of the slots.

Being able to influence my spins through multiple holds and spells/abilities is awesome. Having stats to pick from when you level up is always nice, too. One of my favorite things about the leveling/class system overall is the stuff that carries over between playthroughs, including some gold and items, but most importantly the permanent runes and being able to start your next character off at a level higher than 1.

Got a Mage up to level 6 and then got owned by a skeleton :c But now I can start mages at level 2 XD

So if you're wary because of the slot machine combat, others before me have already explained how well it's pulled off here.

Easily worth the asking price, as it seems to have replay value galore.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    With all the positive vibe in this thread, plus heavy involvement from the dev, i will buy deluxe right away. Thanks for the imps guys.

6. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #66 bigred447uk, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    It's got it's grips into me already. Buying the deluxe edition to show appreciation for the dev.

What intermediate runes are everyone choosing ? I think I'm going to go with Artifacts to increase the drop rate.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yeah, same here. Chosen Artifacts +50%.
    Good equipment is vital at start.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #68 oooooomonkey, Mar 6, 2013
    I haven't picked one yet, thought I'd get a few games in first so I knew what would be useful. But it looks like ill be picking artifacts.

I agree with someone else who posted before about the slot machine combat. While its a cool way to do the combat and personally I'm enjoying it, it could have easily been dice or cards and would have fit the dungeon theme better.

This is kind of what I was hoping king cashing to be like, having the simple spin hold spin slot machine combat is great but for me its the wandering around the world and dungeons that make it brilliant. Along with all the items and stuff this should be an easy buy for dungeon crawler fans.
    I'm even thinking of getting the extra skins just for the hell of it. :)

9. Llamaentity

Llamaentity Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Decided to play some more, this time on a warrior. Level 9, halfway to 10. Had to use up three life scrolls shortly after I hit level 8 :c The warrior does seem to be much easier to survive with than the mage.

Went with health for my first intermediate rune, and gold, artifacts, life scrolls for my minor runes so far. It all seems to be working out pretty well so far for me.

Too sleepy to keep playing for now... :C

10. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    What about this "deluxe edition"? I can only find one standard edition in the App Store! :confused:

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There is only one app. "Deluxe Edition" is one time in-app purchase to unlock extra cosmetic only character skins.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Playing the game and loving it so far, especially the fast and intensive slot wheel battles. Will leave 5 stars on the App Store.

13. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I've only read this far in the thread, so this comment is probably irrelevant by now. Most roguelikes have a chance to hit value, invisible damage dice (or The Lord High Random Number Generator). I don't see how a slot mechanic is "un-roguelike"; to me, it just seems like a different way to visualise those semi-random dice rolls. There are a few roguelikes which have deep combat systems (OAngband comes to mind, maybe ADOM, a semi-roguelike), but they are few and far between.

I remember following arguments on Usenet over whether or not a game with graphic tiles instead of ASCII characters was still a "true" roguelike. I'm just happy that silly debate has been resolved.

14. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I don't even notice that its a slot machine. You are so focused on watching your armor levels and trying to beef up your attacks that the slot machine look fades into the background

15. #75 DungeonPlunder, Mar 6, 2013
    Thanks Bazooka!

You can check the leaderboard for each class under the GameCenter icon on the main menu.

16. You mean like this? :cool:

Thanks to everyone who purchased this game so far!

17. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Don't know what the link is? It won't show on my ipad?

18. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh hell yeah, I like the dice much better than the slots :D I mean the slots are cool but dice just seem to fit the dungeon theme a little better.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I am curious about how the dice will be implemented.