iPad Dungeon of the Endless (by Amplitude Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by IzumiNowa, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I also like the current icon. Represents the game perfectly and is rather unique.

2. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Plus 1 for the icon. This game isn't really about the flashy graphics. At first glance it can be offputing. But once you start playing, everything fits together perfectly. The more I play, the more I like it.

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Is this really hard, or do I just really suck at it? I can't get higher than the third level, I've failed six times so far. I think I might have to try the "Too easy" mode :(

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It's hard :) Think FTL, Easy is "normal" and Too Easy is... too easy :p

It has the standard rogue-like formula where you must learn on each run to make all successive runs better.

5. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    So once you find the exit and obtain the crystal the enemies don't stop coming? I've only played two games and I'm really enjoying this.. The dungeon crawler/tower defense gameplay is fantastic.. Love the graphics as well.. It just hits all the right spots for me.. Seems like a game that'll keep me interested for a while ala FTL..

6. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Another Luciano1084 platinum rated game.

Since your profile pic is Cloud are you going to pick up FFVII? I'm not really interested in replaying it.

7. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    so it's a great game then u say ?

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I don't argue with Luciano1084.

9. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I struggled to get into this for my first few plays but I think I'm actually getting it now.
    Reading a more thorough explanation of the game definitely helped - if anyone's interested I found this very helpful:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203411482

10. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Haha you know it.. FF7 is favorite game of all time.. Awesome week

Attached Files:

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sort of, but to be clear.

You start with the power crystal, the ultimate thing of coolness, that while exploring the level you must always ensure nobody slips past your defenses and damages it.

It starts off, as you saw, parked on a pedestal in the first room of the dungeon. Sometimes when opening the door to a new room a wave or two of baddies will file out of the darkness and make a beeline right to it.

What really causes the excrement to hit the blower is, once the exit is located, you have one of your party members pickup the heavy crystal and cart it down to the next level. Once the crystal is lifted from its base the ENDLESS WAVES start, which will become unmanageable after only a minute or so. The big strategy of the game, therefore, is to setup a nice corridor of defenses for your crystal carrier to run through to reach the exit ASAP with your other party members on hand to offer assistance wherever needed.

12. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Does this rely on permanent unlocks to be able to complete a full run? In other words, is the game too hard to beat the first dozen runs or so because certain advantages need to be unlocked through achievements?

I personally really hate this mechanic in roguelikes, it feels like a really artificial way to increase replayability, so I tend to avoid the ones with this mechanic.

13. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Thanks Gek, I was able to reach room 3 using that strategy.. Finally getting the gist of things although I've got a lot to learn.. Awesome game

14. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Too easy and easy are sarcasm, they are the normal and hard mode.

[pc player here]

15. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So I'll get time to start it up this weekend, should I be starting on too easy or easy? If it is normal and hard I want too easy then?

I'm sure someone said further back that too easy was easy though?

16. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I said that, and I was half-joking. If you want a true rogue-like experience where the game slaps you around on every turn then start on Easy, otherwise go for Too Easy.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I really like the game's straight forward character unlock system.

While traveling through the dungeon you'll have a chance to meet ANY of the game's heroes to recruit on your current run but if you want to fully unlock them as a future starter (one of the two characters you pick at the beginning of a run), you'll need to do one of the following:

1) Clear a ship successfully with them in your party.
    2) Travel at least 3 levels with them in your party.

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Great guide, I really appreciate you posting that!

19. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #99 Jenohart, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Does anyone know if any of the DLC from the PC version is available here? Kreyang is my favorite hero but she's exclusive to the cross-game Founders edition/Deep Freeze DLC.
    Edit: Just noticed Kreyang in the preview screenshots. So I guess the DLC content is already part of the game?

20. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    From the description:
    The only DLC not included is Australium because that is exclusive to Steam.