Universal Dungeon of the Endless: Apogee (by Playdigious)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yeh same. I’ve been trying what Patho has been saying but really cannot get it to work. I’m on an Xs Max. Maybe it’s an iPhone 12 thing. But seems bizarre that one phone can do it and others can’t.

Ijipop likes this.
  2. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    i really need to put my foot in mouth here gentlemen. It would seem that I am mistaken, you cannot select groups. You can only select 1 or all. I made an extremely bone headed mistake and now realize I’ve been wrong this whole damn time. IM SORRY.

BUT......

this is is a big mistake on the part of the dev if there is truly no way of selecting groups. I always split my dudes into teams. I can still do that, this just makes the process much more tedious. Honestly kind of surprised this isn’t implemented. Sorry dudes, It wasn’t my intention to mislead anyone!!!!

Son of Anarchy and Ijipop like this.
  3. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    #23 brerlappin, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    We can submit feedback here, the red button in the lower right... hopefully Playdigious will fix some of the issues, like hero selection and text size

https://playdigious.helpscoutdocs.com/

Ijipop, L.Lawliet and AltsKev like this.
  4. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    #24 Defard, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    I personally prefer the old version. Text wasn’t so small and the character backgrounds / skills etc were much easier to read (I am playing on a 12 inch IPad Pro and it is super small). I am however excited about the DLC

5. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Is it just me, or is the text almost the same size and an iPad (just generic iPad model) and on an iPhone 11??

I played DOE a ton on Xbox, so it’s still playable for me, but I wouldn’t mind not having to hold the phone an inch away from my face to read the text.

brerlappin, Ijipop and Talbs like this.
  6. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Does not work for me. Text is so annoying in iphone X. Waited for this one for some time but i am disappointed asked for a refund.

Talbs likes this.
  7. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    For anyone playing on a large size phone, if you also play Crying Suns how would you compare the text legibility with that game?

8. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    DotE seems smaller to me than Crying Suns on the iPhone 12.

Talbs and MetaGonzo like this.
  9. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I see; that might be a deal breaker. Thanks.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Imo, you might get a very short term kick out of seeing this on your phone, but IMO long term the reality of how poor the port is will set in.

Here’s a review. It’s rather scathing but I can’t help but sigh and say yep to all of it.
    https://mobilegaminghub.com/dungeon-of-the-endless-apogee-first-impressions/

Many thought the lack of actual text size optimisation for mobile for slay the spire was bad. This is even worse.

downgrad3r likes this.
  11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm really disappointed because the Dead Cells port was amazing. I had high hopes for this one. It's unfortunate that it seems that it wasn't designed to be small screen friendly.

pathogen541 likes this.
  12. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I must agree with the review. My main concern being the text size and the unresponsive controls some times.

But so far I still enjoy the game a lot.

went up to floor 12 yesterday and boy that was stressful.
    (Died mostly due to one of my character killing the other one in the elevator... that was a surprise.)
    I feel pretty confident that Playdigious will adress those problems soon enough.

It’s not unplayable by all means. At least for me and my iphone 11.

devs really should hire some folks here to Beta test...

pathogen541, Talbs and Gwarmaxx like this.
  13. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i’m enjoying it a lot too, and i’m in an old 6S :eek:o_O

i totally agree with complaints about the small text thing, so i think the devs should fix that asap... anyway, this game is strategically wonderful!

edit > what’s the difference between the three grafx settings? i don’t see any substantial change.

Ijipop likes this.
  14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #34 Talbs, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    I also have the old iPad version on my device and I’m beginning to think that actually that was still, on balance, a better implementation so far as UI goes, which is a big deal.

• The old version allowed selection any heroes together whether 2 or 3, it could be done. This one cannot.
    • The old version allowed directing characters to locations whilst on the zoomed out map. This one cannot
    • The old version had a larger and somehow more responsive Pause button. Pause is vital in this game, just like FTL. This version, the pause button is smaller, somehow less responsive (I often can’t tell if I just paused), and it’s obtusely hidden away in the top right.
    • The old version actually had similar sized text, but actually larger in some useful areas like the resources tab.
    • The old version always displayed your resources tab when you were looking at things like merchants and research modules. This version dims the tab so you actually have to close out of, say the merchant, in order to assess your funds before purchasing.
    • The old version had an event log so you could tell if you just unlocked that type 2 module or not without having to track back to the research module to check. This version has no log.
    • There were just way less UI peculiarities on the old version. This one, there’s strange stuff going on everywhere. Subtle things that all add up, such as having to click again on the build icon in order to cancel out of it, else if you forget, you risk deploying a random turret or what not.
    The only thing that I really like about this version is the character data screen which shows all 4 on one page with all their stats. In the old version you had to compare the characters page by page, flicking between and so couldn’t see it all on one page for comparison.

15. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    i have ask developers about the font size :

Ijipop likes this.
  16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I got the exact same.

I’m really hoping they can do something. But since the text size issue is through the entire application, I will be surprised if they do.

17. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey @Talbs , have you also suggested them about all that points in your previous post?

some of them look really essential, i never played the old version ‘cause my iPad was gone, just bought the game when went on sale.

brerlappin and pathogen541 like this.
  18. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I was going to type all of these out, but you have saved me the effort. Still love the game but the combination of all of these ‘minor’ UX / UI things is a bit frustrating really.

I’ll add one more, if I remember correctly, the old version allowed a certain amount of zoom (by pinch) before activating the zoomed out map. I used that constantly.

19. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    I really really really really really really really hate that I agree with this review. DotE was/is one of my favorite games, and I will not be giving up on this version just yet, but damn, they really did a hack job with this port. The more I play the more I’m becoming frustrated with the lack of control groups, the unresponsive characters that sometimes won’t respond to commands, the stripped down control options (you also used to be able to activate/deactivate entire branches of rooms from the over-view map, you can’t even activate/deactivate a single room from the over-view map), the thing is, this is still, at heart, the same amazing title I poured hours and hours into, but the UI issues this sloppy port created REALLY hamstring the entire affair.

id honestly recommend anyone wait a few updates before picking this up, I could see it causing more frustration than entertainment.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  20. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    On too easy difficulty. But still very proud!
    Now lets attack that « easy » difficulty.

Attached Files: