Universal Dungeon Legends 2 (by Dreaming Wizard Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Sounds great thanks guys! I actually like the solo non party style dungeon crawler and I like the ability to choose difficulty as well :)

houseofg and Lukasz Radziejewicz like this.
  2. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I love the 20 km of dungeon hype... Haha!

Are you Polish by any chance? Seems to be quite the RPG dev scene there! I think this will be like the third Polish dev game I bought in the last couple months.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I’ve now put in a few hours into the game and made it to the third floor of the dungeon. No question: this is definitely scratching that dungeon crawling itch for me. The early going is a bit frustrating, but once you get a decent weapon and some armor, it feels like you have a fighting chance, especially if you’re smart about using resources. Even then, monsters really raise the level of tension; it helps that the sound design is pretty brilliant, and you can really feel it when you hear the familiar scratching sound of giant scorpion around the corner.

Talking about sound, the game really nails the atmosphere. The dungeon feels suitably oppressive and dank, and the use of light and shadow and shaky cam gives you a sense of “being there” that’s missing from games like Legend of Grimrock (for me, anyway).

Now, this is a lot simpler than LoG: you play with only one character, there are no buffs or debuffs, and no traps to speak off so far. Besides fighting monsters, much of the gameplay involves finding ways to open doors and gathering loot from barrels and chests. Non-human NPCs show up every once in a while to give you fetch quests, which can net you a necessary key or a magic weapon or armor. I just got my first spell, which adds a much needed dimension to the otherwise frantic button-mashing combat.

A few improvements I would love to see:
    • Rather than including so much useless loot, I would love to see gold or some of other currency — even if there’s nothing to buy. Maybe there could be a way to purchase consumables like HP potions and torches.
    • On a related note, monsters should give much better loot. You do much better tapping on every barrel you see than defeating anything but a boss.
    • Every once in a while, the double tap system to use items stops working and you have to quit and restart to fix it. Not a big deal (you can save anywhere), but still annoying.
    • It would be great to mark locked doors in the map. It’s not that hard to find your way back to a door once you’ve found the key, but having a note on your map would still be welcome.
    • Early on there are two related quests that can be started out of order (and can make it seems like you’re stuck). There should probably be a way to make it work in any order or some way to prevent you from getting it wrong.
    • There are several buttons missing affordances. Also, clicking “new game” by mistake immediately quits your current run — there should be a confirmation dialogue before you potentially lose progress.
    Overall, though, I’m really enjoying this.

4. Lukasz Radziejewicz

Lukasz Radziejewicz Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2022
    Male
    I am Polish :) I am glad you support polish developers ;)
    20 km heh I thought I would count it, one tile is 3 meters so I have couned tiles and i got 20 km ;)

I am glad you made it that far, 3rd floor is with big spiders. I especially like the next one, hope you will enjoy it.
    I have focused on creating an atmosphere by music/sounds and visual effects, so I am glad you can feel it.

Thank you for a list of improvements, I will try to implement them during one of upcoming updates :)
    About gold, I had a problem with it, I mean dungeons are supposed to be abandoned, so where would you use that gold? But on the other hand as you see, there are from time to time npc that you can talk to, so you could buy from them. I will take it under consideration :)
    There are skulls and tools that are usless now, but in next update I am going to make use of them (skull for drain life spell, and iron tool to open chests that will be locked).

houseofg and squarezero like this.
  5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Ah — good to know about the skulls and tools. I get your stance about gold; it’s just nice to get something from combat (besides xp) that doesn’t clutter your backpack.

Thanks for the response — we love engaged developers around here :).

Lukasz Radziejewicz likes this.
  6. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    I think I’m stuck on those quests and I can’t find a damn gold key (chose not to kill rat king)

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    If you got the eye from the rat king, go to the creepy tree and get its quest. You’ll be able to complete it immediately and get the key.

8. CrayonWarrior

Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Thx, but problem is, I talked to both and chose not to kill the rat king. Don’t know where creature is that rat king wants me to kill.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Keep exploring the dungeon. Eventually you will find an area with rocky walls — just kill one of the giant scorpions you encounter and get their stinger.

10. Lukasz Radziejewicz

Feb 3, 2022
    Male
    When you look at the automap, the cave with scorpions you need to kill is on the south east. You need to find a way south that is in the mid of the way between Rat King and the Watcher.

11. CrayonWarrior

Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    I’ll have a look, thanks

12. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    The head bobbing is really annoying and only detracts from the experience. Not to mention it often turns pov slightly to the side and stays there. I get what your going for but if you think about it, even if in real life, even if your head moves about involuntarily, your vision remains focused on whatever your looking at (unless your drunk or sick.) Wish there was an option to disable.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Hey, I like the head bobbing. I find it great for atmosphere, tension, and immersion — it’s an aesthetic and experiential decision that distinguishes the game from other dungeon crawlers. But I guess it’s different strokes for different folks, so giving people the option is probably a good idea. Kind of like the film grain in Silent Hill 2.

14. Lukasz Radziejewicz

Feb 3, 2022
    Male
    Yes I think you are right, I got some positive feedback for the head bobbing but I understand some people might like it the static way. I will work on the option of disabling this head movement and it should be added in next update (2-3 days).
    Thanks for drawing my attention to this thing :)

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Nice update out today, making some of the “trash” loot meaningful and adding feedback to the save button. Quick note: “Game Saved” is staying on screen after you close the save dialogue box — you have to open and close it again for it to go away.

Great to see the support for the game :).

16. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I’m enjoying the game so far, and the update is great, with the most noticeable improvement being the movement speed. Movement was painfully slow before the update.

However, I seem to be stuck on the first level. There are two doors that can’t be opened. There’s a chain nearby each one, but those chains can’t be interacted with, since no triangle is attached to them to pull on. I can’t see any nearby switches near these doors either. I seem to have killed all the monsters that I have access to on this level as well, and I can’t see anything further on the automap.

I must be missing something, or else there’s a switch that’s very hard to see.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    A few things:
    • There are doors that open with switches in different locations — and sometimes it takes more than one. You may need to use a lit torch to find them
    • There is one door that requires a key. You need to complete two quests to get it (one from the eye tree, one from the rat king).
    Good luck!

David1953 likes this.
  18. William Hououin

Feb 11, 2022
    Male
    #38 William Hououin, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Hi!

So, I finally, after many years of using Touch Arcade website, decided to create an account, and I did it just to come here and say:

thank you Lukasz for your fantastic dungeon crawler! I’m about 5 hours in, it’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a DRPG that much.

The ambiance is soooo good, I really feel immersed when I play.

i am also very happy to see you’re interacting here, and still working on making the game even better!

we’re lucky to have devs such as yourself in the mobile gaming sphere.

keep it up! Cheers !

19. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    #39 David1953, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Thank you for your reply. I only have one lit torch left, and I’m finding that the torches don’t last that long. I hope that it’s enough to find any switches that I need. I wish that there were more torches available, or at least a way to relight old ones.

I haven’t seen any Rat King anywhere, btw.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    If I remember correctly, he’s in the south east quadrant of the map, towards the middle. You probably don’t need a torch to find the switches, though there is a keyhole on the second floor (I think) that does require a torch to spot. Keep your eyes open for torches on the floor — they’re easy to miss. I do agree, however, that torches should last longer (or at least you should be able to put them away when you don’t need them).