Universal Dungeon Hunter V (By Gameloft)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    The real funny thing is they removed dungeon hunter 1 & 2 from the App Store so you have no choice but to play the pay to win games haha. So yea if you think this dungeon hunter is going to be any different than the crap that is dungeon hunter 3 & 4 you are going to be sad. :(

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not if you backed up the file

Got great memories of those first two games, i had just bought an ipod touch 4 and i was amazed at how good DH1 was. DH2 was even better, played that to the end, two great games

3. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

I hear you they were one of the first games I beat on iOS (I have a short attention span haha).

4. MarkyR74

MarkyR74 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    That article is so farcical, it's conclusion is based on things like gamers embracing free to play because of Planetside 2, but it's been on PC for 2 years as it says yet it doesn't claim PC gamers embracing free to play, and then to conclude the same just because gamers queued up to play Sony's other new free to play game at the PlayStation event in Las Vegas is so ridiculous you've got to laugh, nothing to do with people wanting to try the game out at the show before its released of course..

It will be a very very very long time if ever before a game that they charge £45 and spent 50 million plus to make is free to play.

5. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I have the exact same memories. I think I played DH1 on my 2nd gen and was enamored with the game and iOS itself. Fun fun.

6. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #46 Rip73, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    I'll give you one example.
    Call Of Duty Online.
    It may be a China exclusive at the moment and when it officially launches but it is Free To Play and has/is cost/costing as much to develop to release as a North American retail release.

So if one of the very biggest in console is doing it, expect others to follow.
    Just as Borderlands Online is doing as that will be Free to Play and cost just as much to develop.

Granted, both will only be available in China at launch (and possibly other selected Asian markets) but there is no doubt that the same thing will be replicated in Western markets in the not too distant future.

Nope, not really. I remember testing Nokia 9000 Communicators for the major European cell network back in '95 before it became commercially available in '96.
    I even remember testing WAP, Nokia 7110's , Psion's and Symbian at various years between '95 and '99, all before they were made commercially available and were all the precursors of the modern smartphone.

So, no, not particularly new to smartphones.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Ah, good ol' Rip.
    Great to see you again.

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    JB my man, I was just wondering myself where you've been.:)

Good to see ya around.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #49 ste86uk, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    The website doesn't give much info though, I was wondering about classes and skills ect took me ages to decide on DH4 which class to play.

Played for a bit but after swapping devices and losing my game I give up on it and thought I'll wait for 5.

Hopefully it does as well as 4 so it gets plenty of updates. I would still prefer premium as I said, but as the other guy said this being freemium will probably last much longer and be fun for free if it's not too bad on the IAP but we will see.

Edit: I don't know if you all know but there's some sort of signup on the website for rewards when you start the game. Sounds like a global one to me as in everything people do out of the options gives points added to a global total and then everyone that signed up get all the gifts.

10. WingMaker

WingMaker Active Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Italy
    I don't know if it is Thor 2 or Dungeon Thor 5
    Am I wrong?

(._.)

11. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    I can feel all the hatred and angers towards Gameloft , but u can just save ur energy and time by ignoring this thread . Just like me.

12. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Aw people can steal each others' gold? In a dungeon crawler rpg? Wuuaaahh?

Mobile gaming aint dead broskis. Maybe old favorite IP franchises are getting milked, but thats about it. there are definitely great premium games and F2P games done right released weekly. And there are most definitely great premium games and F2P games done right in the market at this moment.

13. Fisher5991

Fisher5991 Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #53 Fisher5991, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Remember these chef-d'oeuvre?

Zombie Infection (Java) 10/10
    Soul of Darkness (Java, NDSi) 10/10
    Hero of Sparta (Java, NDSi) 10/10
    Might and Magic 2 (Java, NDSi) 10/10
    Diamond Rush (Java) 10/10
    Castle of Magic (Java, iOS, NDSi, WP) 10/10
    Shrek Party (Java) 10/10
    High School: Hook Ups (Java) 10/10
    Cops L.A. Police (Java) 10/10
    Gangstar 2: King of L.A. (Java, NDSi) 10/10
    Block Breaker 3: Unlimited (Java, iOS, Android, Symbian ^3, Bada, Blackberry) 10/10
    Ninja Prophesy (Brew, Java) 10/10

I would like these games =-( . Nostalgia.

Dungeon Hunter 5 - Free-2-Play. All hope for Magna Memoria from the Japanese studio Gameloft. I remember their great JRPG.

14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    That's one I'm not happy about, it'll probably cost me all of my gold to upgrade my gear by the sounds of it. Building your own Dungeon sounds good but sounds like it costs to hire minions to go inside it and you won't be able to save gold as people spending cash will probably just steal all your gold....hopefully it's done fairly.

15. swisssk8er1

swisssk8er1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 12, 2011
    Just watched the twitch livestream with the DH5 devs. Energy system and always on internet connection requirement confirmed :(

16. Gameloft_Ryan

Gameloft_Ryan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Community Manager
    San Francisco
    DH1 and DH2 were removed because they are older games, similar to what other developers do with older titles.

DH5 will have Cloud Saving and it's not class based like DH4. You'll play as a Bounty Hunter after the Demon War in DH4 and you'll deal with all of the aftermath. The style of play you'll experience is dependent upon the weapon you equip and you can have two different options equipped at once.

My go to has been one melee weapon and then dual crossbows.

If you missed the Twitch stream from our Montreal studio you can watch it here: http://www.twitch.tv/gameloft/b/616462161

17. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Yeah, I think I am going to stick with dh4

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #58 ste86uk, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    I'll see if I can watch that later, glad to hear it'll have iCloud and no classes and just depending on gear sounds good.

But how does it work skill wise? I mean is it like equip a bow and have skills for that, eqip a stave and have magic? Or are they all set skills and only attacks are different based on weapon?

Finally I keep hearing about energy, I don't usually have time to watch twitch streams so how does the energy system work in this one? Any way to remove it via a purchase or only to purchase more energy?

Edit: I forgot to ask how are te controls also? Any changes? I tried playing 4 recently on my air 2 and the controls were harder to use than on my iPhone but obviously because of size....probably just me still getting use to it though.

19. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #59 oscar123967, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Note: theyre heading the more towards the direction of enternity warriors with this one. Both UI and gameplay wise.

Weapons:
    Dual blades (quick & close)
    Greatsword (slow but powerful)
    Crossbows (quick and range)
    Glaive (strong and mid range)
    Staff (long range)

You can equip a primary and secondary weapon. Theres a button to switch between them during the heat of battle.

Customization/armor/skills:
    Total of 6 slots
    One primary
    One secondary
    One armor set
    3 slots for 3 skills
    -You obtain skills by aquiring bounty tickets And spending them. You then use these tickets to buy a lottery spin so you can get a random skill card. You then equip these skill cards to your character (3 max). So rather than having a tree to build and aquiring skills through that, you are collecting these skill cards and creating the best combination you can.

Element system:
    fire>nature>death>light>water>fire
    Enemies, armor, and weapons carry this element system

Freemium system:
    -3 main currencies: gold, gems, and bounty tickets (plus plenty upgrade currencies)
    -Energy system (start with 14 and gain 1 every level. Easy missions cost 6 energy, the harder the difficulty the more energy I assume.)
    -Lottery: win armor, buy spins with gems.
    -The mission menu has a candy crush feel to it.

Strongholds:
    -minions generate gold for you to collect from time to time
    -You steal gold from other players if you beat their dungeon and get gold stolen from you if they beat your dungeon.
    -You capture minions from missions to then put in your stronghold to defend it.

Multiplayer:
    You can battle along side one of your friends character. Theyre controlled by AI, but they have their gear.

Controls:
    Same as DH4, except the super power spell button has been taken out and replaced with the swap weapons button.

I personally like the game so far. I'm sure it is a huge disappointment for those who are looking for a meaty dungeon crawler, but I'm not looking for that. I just want stuff to wack at while I have a couple minutes to spare. I'm still worried about the stronghold system.

Oh and also the menus are nice and crisp, unlike DH4s

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    No release date yet?