Universal Dungeon Hunter 5 by Gameloft

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by EthanLean, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm a mod. ;)

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ugh. Stage 7, and im getting mauled. I think im moving forward too fast.

My only complaint with this game: 7 gems for a potion.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I denied DH5 access to Facebook at some point, whereupon it promptly deleted my progress and character.

Kudos. This is by far the most efficient Facebook enforcement policy in the history of iOS :)

4. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Oh lol. That works too i guess hah

5. metalmandave83

metalmandave83 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm not too impressed with this game. Honestly TaiChi Panda has been more enjoyable and rewarding than this game. Potion system sucks. Energy system looks like it could get out of balance. The gear system with different elements is wack. I'm not feeling this game at all right now. I'm also not paying $5 for one chance at one piece of gear that could potentially be useless. The elements system is going to require multiple gear sets later on I believe. Paying money for virtual health potions is just the worst idea ever. I got to stage 4 or 5 and couldn't move forward because I ran out of potions and my gear wasn't "evolved" enough. I shouldn't hit a wall so soon in this game. The missions are very bland and not worth grinding for shit gear. I'll give this game another shot tomorrow but I don't think this is going to last more than another day on my devices.

6. taiga97

taiga97 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Did anyone get the rewards we were promised?

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    What rewards were we promised? LOL.

8. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Yea I tried reinstalling, blowing on the cartridge, everything. Still stuck at 25% loading every time when the game starts. Guess it's just not happenin.

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I kind of have to agree. One huge issue aside from timers is the fact that the good drops are almost non-existent. Maybe if you play for a very long time then go through hard levels you might get something but if you look at the potential loot, they all pretty much suck.

And yes the game gets hard VERY fast. I unlocked the 2nd difficulty, did the first mission and beat it after 2 tries. Then the 2nd mission, I'm down to 10% health by the time I get to the boss area every time. Even my AI partner dies before I even get half way in the level. I can tell this is going to take a lot of grinding and gear won't get much better early without fusion boosting all your 1 star equips that will drain all your money.

10. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    I've been playing the game for more than a couple of hours now. And although it's ok, it kinda lost its Diablo-esque vibe which is what I crave, and is now more similar to God of War. Deleted it for the time being

11. natesmkdwn

natesmkdwn Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Overall a really fun game. Love the stronghold battles. Using minions for guards

12. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    anyone else experiencing crashes or long load times?

13. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #113 Nekku, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Seems like I've just downloaded an 1.2gig in size IAP shop with (probably, not sure yet) an actual game hidden somewhere deep inside it.
    Don't you dare to tell that this game is a stripped down version of Diablo 3
    you filthy casual
    . Not even close, dude.
    2 stars for graphics, animations and combat system, though - come at me.

Nice work on deleting comments but leaving the subjective my-opinion-is-the-only-one-which-is-right bs, mod. You must be really proud of yourself by silencing people who don't share your opinion. (y)
    The TA way to handle things like that. Just make them disappear instead of actually discussing them on a 'forum' especially when there isnt any harm done to anyone. Way too much to ask for it seems.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #114 Vovin, Mar 12, 2015
    To say it first, I support both freemium and premium games.
    But his isn't freemium as it should be, it is paymium or pay-to-win. I guess only a heavy amount of grinding will justify to call it "freemium".
    Also, the combat system is very shallow and the enemies lack variety. Stuff like that was ok when Diablo came out, but today, it is a no-go. Complete levels and always the same few enemies with just little vatiations. The level design and graphics are truly nice, but everything else gets drowned in boredom. And if you understand that you have to grind quite a lot, the lack of enemy variety and combat tactics becomes even worse.
    Games like Torchlight / Torchlight II do this a dozen times better than Dungeon Hunter 5.
    As Edmillan said, it's more a GoW than an appropriate Diablo-like.

I don't see much Dungeon stuff, btw. Maybe they should rename it to Overworld Hunter.
    And in my opinion, that Clash of Clans-like base building stuff is uninteresting in a Diablo-like.

It doesn't feel like it fits together, it makes Dungeon Hunter 5 a 2-in-1 game. Stupid design idea, that was - imo -just added to ride on the wave of all the successful base building games right now. For me, it doesn't feel as if it would belong to a hack&slay and distracts from the actual game. But who can blame GameLoft? They just want a piece of the gigantic CoC-cake.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #115 Vovin, Mar 12, 2015

Huh? Which comments got deleted secretly by mods or admins? You sure? This is a serious claim.

16. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    While I do agree the presentation has been pretty good so far my from initial play thru. Fully voiced story telling, a proper story behind (which is essential since they go a SP route now) Great Art style with above average graphics for a mobile game. So high quality for a mobile game yes I agree. But feels like a PS4 version of D3? Honestly not even anywhere close to that. Not sure how you judge things but even after discounting the fact that this is a mobile game, still it is no where that level of quality and experience. And that have not put in the fact that this is a freemium (p2w) game which is already ultimately flawed to begin with in a loot based game. Buy loot instead of hunt loot is the worst idea for such game just like how auction house makes the original D3 looks bad after some time that Blizzard had to admit to the flaw and remove the system entirely. Like some others have said which I have to agree that good loot seems non existence.

For a loot based dungeon crawling game, grinding is expected so nothing much to complain about that part. But so far my journey in the game has been pretty disappointing which is not a good sign to start getting such feel this early. IMO there is nothing wrong for trying to do new things to a genre. But with their current concept and design, it would have been a better game if it is premium and allow people to actually farm for their glory instead of buying them. As for IAPs maybe some optional one for gold and thats about it. That would have made this a much better game overall. Will still continue to play a bit more and see how it goes. But I dont think as what it is atm it would last like previous DH series. Honestly I even felt that DH from PS3 is much better than this one as far as Dungeon Crawling goes. And that is a premium game of cuz.

17. taiga97

taiga97 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    For "enlisting" if you enlisted with an email you were supposed to get rewarded when it came out, you can check the dh5 site.

18. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Shocking money pit. Gameloft truly are despicably greedy!

Fortunately there are some far better, more moderate and fair developers out there so not all games are as tainted as this one is!

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Eternity Warriors by Glue had a deeper combat system with the use of the block and the moments of invincibility in dodges.

BUT, for what this is (as mentioned a few times more like GoW button masher) i was enjoying it until i found out that potions are 7 gems each. That's just greedy. Oh wait, it's gameloft they are the best they do everything they are mighty they optimize. Pfft.

20. theLorax

theLorax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Just found out theres no co-op. Its kind of misleading to put player names on AI and call that co-op. Real co-op is what would have made it more special than other dungeon crawlers like ORC. Kind of wack since DH4 had it. Game features are supposed to increase, not decrease. Gonna delete and move on.