Dungeon Hunter 3 by Gameloft

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LBG, Nov 2, 2011.

1. gfxdaddy

gfxdaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Male
    Illustrator | Web | Graphic | Digital Publishing D
    London, UK
    Are you surprised? Only reason MC3 was as good as it was is because a different Montreal studio handled it--I hear Ubisoft Montreal had a big hand in it's development as well. Six Guns looks like a classic example of the original Gameloft dev team--copycat, devoid of life, boring, with marginally decent graphics. Look back at all the Ubisoft/Gameloft tie-ins, those are the only Gameloft games worth getting most of the time (Prince of Persia, Rayman/ Ultimate (windows Mobile), etc). Even Spiderman--which was a good game--was heavily based off Prince of Persia's engine.

2. miSterGuN

miSterGuN Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #142 miSterGuN, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    Unfortunatly, this isn't true. The "different Montreal studio" is in fact Gameloft's Montreal studio, which has been around for many years. If you compare the credits of MC1, MC2 and MC3, you'll see that the core team of the project is the same.

3. silentassasin47

Dec 10, 2011
    It's pretty sad that GL is beginning to adopt the freemium model like this. Too bad for them, because in the end it'll hurt their profits much more since not a lot of people actually pay for the IAPs they have in their games.

At least we have other studios that have proven they can put out great quality games. EA might not have many games in their department, but the ones they have put out are just amazing. If Rockstar has success with GTA III we might even see more of them in the future, and let's not forget all the other devs that are jumping into the UE3/Unity platform which has created amazing games so far.

4. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    Wow I seriously can't wait for the 3rd game. On Facebook it says the trailer comes out in 8 days, I hope the game is ready soon!!!

I'm an Illusionist on Hard, Level 50 something, I'm a fiend for this game!!
    Also a Death Walker level 40 something on hard.

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I don't really mind wave based games, but this model just looks sad. I have no desire to play the melee version of a Glu Mobile game (wasn't a fan of Eternity Warriors either).

Nah! Gameloft has made some good games in the past: Eternal legacy, MC, and NOVA. From my perspective, half of Gameloft's games were good and half were bad. They make some good games then use their name to sell you bad/mediocre ones. Now, it seems all bad.

Predictions for NOVA 3: The whole game will be based of Halo's firefight mode. If I didn't think GL would half-ass it, this would be a great addition or separate game. I also wouldn't want it to replace the story.

*Obviously, this can be deemed a hasty, exaggerated prediction.

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Freemium games often don't have stories, characters, or a point, beyond leveling up and spending money on IAP as you go. Case in point, Six Guns. However, Dungeon Hunter is the type of genre that doesn't really need storyline, character development, or a general point/broad goal. But Diablo games at their heart are all about looting dungeons and micromanaging your equipment. Dungeon Hunter 3 will have no loot drops, so the whole experience is back to being shallow, hallow, and pointless. Within 20 minutes you will wonder why you are playing this. It's not going anywhere, or leading to anything. There's no payoff. No reward. It'll be like you are a gaming zombie.

7. ADR GANG

ADR GANG Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I'm not gonna download this game even if it is free. This game is just a waste of space like Six Guns. I'd be better off reserving all those space for other more exciting games such as GTA III, Sonic CD, Megaman X....

8. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    I read in GAME magazine that this with grace the wonderous PSP VITA...so how will that work with freemium dreams for GL?

9. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Ima download it cause it IS free :)

10. ADR GANG

ADR GANG Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    It is not just free, it is "FREEMIUM". I bet you can't play this game for a minute without the irrating pop-up asking you to pay money for its IAP, just like in Six Guns.

11. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    place your bets! i have zero problems with gamelofts games. six guns is fine with me, gives me something to do and as long as i dont NEED to buy certain items in the game to complete certain missions without earning moneys then im fine. also there are no ads from what i saw, shouldnt really be complaining about a free game no? this IS the path gameloft chose to fight piracy, yes it does fail but hey if they want to waste thier efforts to try to make us spam IAP to pay them then i say CHOOSE! choose to pay them or not its up to you :)

12. San

San Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Marketing Group Manager, Global. Gameloft HQ
    Paris
    You can play it as long as you want.

13. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Choice is subjective

For us who have some sort of demands for quality you can't play six guns without paying.

I played it for an hour or so and when doing a mission and I got low on health a GIGANTIC message box popped up asking me to buy an healthpotion, and it wouldn't go away untill I bought it with some of those sheriff stars, IN THE MIDDLE OF A GUNFIGHT!

That is synonymous with "Can't Play"

14. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    #154 Greg G, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    I can live with a different way for them to bug you for money though I prefer just paying for it. What I mind is dumbing down the game to the point where it looses all the game elements that made it fun no matter how much money you spend. This series is about killing stuff, looting corpses and chests, deciding if you want to equip new loot, and bashing stuff with your new found weapons/armor. Perhaps there should even be a reason for bashing all the stuff like saving the world from big bad evil and a few cut scenes to maintain the illusion that you have purpose. This looks to be all gone other than killing stuff and trading in points for stuff in a store where they really want you to pay real money for your virtual sword so you can go back and kill more stuff without purpose. No thanks!

That's just nuts. I "Can't Play" Six Guns because it bores the crap out of me and all I think about is how good it could have been if Gameloft had any integrity.

Oh well, I can only hope they make less money this way.

-Greg

15. San

San Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Marketing Group Manager, Global. Gameloft HQ
    Paris
    My comment related to Dungeon Hunter 3, not Six Guns.
    By the way, if you had been ready to pay $6,99 for Six Guns (which is not a lot either for a full 3D game like this), then spend this amount as in-app purchases, and it will give you the possibility to play for hours and hours...

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Agreed!

I've definitely toned down my arguing about "Appstore Vampirism" since our review site* is up! I'll just write reviews that broadcast the shallow, lifeless gameplay. Plus as I've stated before there are other ways to fight piracy, but most of the definitive ways will need Apple's support.

*It's in the works still, so things aren't perfect and you'll still find me on the impression thread!

17. Defiance211

Defiance211 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    If you think six guns was bad, try real football 2012, absolutely horrible!. I think its safe to say the only quality titles that gameloft will have is the NOVA,Modern Combat, and Asphalt series, and all of the new releases will probably be freemium junk.

18. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    I have to say I was quite appalled with Six Guns. It was the fastest download/erase I've ever had on my iPhone to date. The game didn't even open with a cutscene! Unless I skipped it or something, not that I care. These elements of in game purchasing really hurt games and if dungeon hunter is even resembling six guns at all then I'm not sure what to say about gameloft games. They better not do this junk on the next Nova. I'm surprised Gameloft is responsible for tin tin because that's a pretty damn good game utilizing a friggin movie license/book. Keep bringing stuff like that.

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Oh boy, they messed up Real Football 2012 too! That truly is a shame since soccer is my favorite sport, but it's not unexpected because NFL Pro 2012 was terrible; every time I read my impression for it I still say WOW. At least there's FIFA (both mobile & 360) so I don't care too much.

20. chriser

chriser Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    #160 chriser, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    Great gameloft games are:
    Those are 10/10:
    - modern combat 3 & 2
    - gangstar 3
    - dungeon hunter 1 & 2
    - prince of persia
    - splinter cell
    Rest of the games is like 6/10, 5/10 - very average, little boring.