Dungeon Hunter 3 by Gameloft

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LBG, Nov 2, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm super excited !

When i first got my ipod i was after a Diablo/Baldurs Gate type of game, LOVED Dungeon Hunter I, played that till i completed it. Dungeon Hunter II was also a superb experience.

Cant wait for this third one !

2. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    jeez

i have never heard the word freemium used so much in a post, face the facts guys gameloft is gonna do what they wanna do with games and if you don't buy em or download them and pay for the IAP others will. its a business don't forget that

3. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I finished DH1 & DH2, enjoyed both of them and was pleased to see a teaser for DH3 on the video. Now, all I see is the freemium button and it's really a no way for me if the in-app can't be avoided. I hope they'll release at least 2 versions (freemium + full) for the launch...

4. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Really? Ya don't say? :rolleyes:

They aren't getting my money. If IAP become the dominant route, games existing with micro transactions then I'm done.

I come from a different era, a core gamer at heart, I refuse to be nickel and dimed. I want to pay a higher price upfront, if needed, for a full experience.

I want a complete game for my $$.

There's other platforms, for my time and $$ if iOS jumps the shark.

3DS, Vita, XBox 360, Wii/U, PS3 and PC.

I myself will not buy into an IAP gaming dominance. I want no part in that, therefore I abstain from giving them $. If I buy the game (I'm still supporting that IAP are acceptable)...

To me they're not. This is my occupy Wallstreet moment for iOS. No to greed.

5. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Exactly. Take League of Legends and Team Fortress 2, for example. The free-to-play model works very well for them, but Gameloft can't seem to get it right. And they're about to ruin my favorite series of theirs in the same way they ruined Let's Golf. :(

6. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    this. like poster above you, I will not pay for any iap. I'll pay for games from other small developers I guess. vote with my wallet. I was kinda excited for six-guns but with iap all over that by the sounds of it that might be out too. It's a shame I've always supported gameloft games but will jump ship shortly. There are plenty of other developers not messing with IAP with their games. It sucks, gameloft games were starting to get pretty good.

I should add I don't have a problem paying more for a game if, even if games were $10-20 and offered a more console like experience. I just want to pay for it once and forget about said purchase...

7. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    #47 Cg2005, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    From a non-biased standpoint

Hey guys, first post. I just want to point out the fact that Modern Combat 3 uses OPTIONAL, yet not necessary IAP which looks very similar on the HUD, and the game is fully playable without it. Perhaps the same will be for this game? Just trying to add some deductive reasoning and hope into the equation

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    MC3 was a paid game though. Take into account that these games are going to be free. Why would they be giving out quality games for free unless there was a motive to make more money that way?

9. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    Good point, I was not aware that this would be free initially. In that case, it's a pretty garbage move to take a series that has done very well as is, and try to squeeze even more money out of it. Poor decision...

10. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Agree fully.

11. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Until you've been bombarded by hackers who bomber, turret, helicopter spam attacks with spent $$, earning XP and being rewarded do it over, and over, and over, and over again.

12. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    A tweet from Gameloft:

13. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    #53 Cg2005, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    I guess I haven't spent enough time with it yet to notice those problems, but that's too bad. Hopefully they can make things right with this title. I know it's probably not going to happen, but that IAP model will be the demise of their sales (at least no purchase from me, anyway). Perhaps not though, maybe the IAP has been a huge payout for Gameloft since they've using it.

14. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Im not as worried about IAP as I am about the game beeing "unplayably-easy" as DH2.

I mean, a "Diablo-Clone/Action RPG with focus on loot hunting" can't let you find 5 epics before you leave the tutorial area.

I finished DH2 just because it looked ok, but it was a massive failure in terms of gameplay.

It's sad because there is no reason for the game to be to easy.
    The whole point of multiple difficulty levels that play out when you complete the previous one (Normal - Nightmare - Hell) is so that casual players can enjoy the game on normal, they can fight cool bosses and follow the story.

But then the real game starts on the second difficulty level, and that's when you start finding the cool items and face a real challange.

Gameloft, please to ruin this game to, it got great potential! Just like DH2 had.

15. rozetta

rozetta Active Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Anti Virus research
    Helsinki
    This.

I, too, found both the games way too easy and short. I would honestly prefer that they take DH3 more along the lines of Diablo/Torchlight, with randomized dungeons and loot, main questing town (hub) and selectable difficulty level from the beginning. They should also add some enchanting and socketing or similar item enhancement system. Think Aurum Blade, but with decent graphics and controls.

I will very seldom play a game through a second time, so I always start on the hard difficulty setting. Forcing me to play on easy means I will breeze through the game quickly and not play it again.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont think Gameloft ruined the Dungeon Hunter games at all. I was late to iOS and got these games back in March time. Loved the first game, a bit short but for the price it was brilliant.

Second to me was even better, bigger world, hours of fun with it. I like taking my time with these games and not marching through trying to complete it instantly.

Huge fan of both of them, just cant wait for a third. Still after an 'Ultima' type non-linear game which DH2 was 'slightly'. Best RPG i think is Aralon, would love Dungeon Hunter to be as big as that or like Order & Chaos but an 'offline' version. Eg tons of missions/side-quests.

Either way i'm looking forward to DH3 for sure. Havent got an issue with IAP either

17. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I respect your opinion,
    And that is why they should make a propper second and third difficulty level.
    Not just Easy three times over.

The easiest thing would be to do it right, it's probably harder to it as porly as Gameloft made DH2 then to just make it a functional Diablo-clone like everyone hoped it would be.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for the good reply, glad it hasnt descended into a 'you're wrong, you're an idiot' type response as you see on other threads.

To be fair i should perhaps opt for a harder difficulty setting ! Just often with so many games on my ipod i tend to play a bit of one here and there, if its too difficult i often give up as i've just got so many to play.

But i feel we're getting close to the 'perfect' Diablo type clone many of us want which is exciting.

AND i saw a tweet from the guy who created the Ultima series to say there'll be an iOS game coming at some point 'soon'. More exciting news !

19. mobilegame08

mobilegame08 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    new images free premium game...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I won't mind the IAP as long as its just like a one time unlock fee or extra in-game money or something.