Dungeon Hunter 3 by Gameloft

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LBG, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    #221 Jtown4prez, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
    The items in the game ( exept a certian few) can be obtained with gold. If you have "patience" which i have :)

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Glu's $500 gun can also be obtained with "patience". :p

3. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Good. Looking forward to downloading so I can give it a 1 star review. At least I won't have to pay to express my displeasure with them abandoning a series I have really enjoyed. Even if I like the game it gets 1 star for using the name Duneon Hunter 3 and only providing Dungeon Bros.

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    The sad thing is it might turn out to be a pretty decent Dungeon Bros.! But, honestly, what does that really mean? Eternity Warriors was only fun for the first few days. The only thing that ever really kept me playing Glu Games was the half-multiplayer and this has none that I know of. I guess Glu finally did put it in Gin Bros., but we waited forever.

5. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    This game should be fun regardless of the freemium factor. I will be playing it in shorter bursts instead of long periods like with Dungeon Hunter 2. I think the experience will be entirely different. More action, less adventure I guess. I am not sure why they are calling it DH3 though. Should be Dungeon Hunter: Arena

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I guess anyone who is excited about the new wave based gameplay, the new question isÂ…will there be an excessive IAP system? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Only speculation until then and I know what I think.

7. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    It's really saddening to read the YouTube comments regarding hatred for freemium.

Half say "I'd gladly pay full price!" half of which are possibly liars with common sense knowing they're posting on an official trailer by GL.

The other half, "I get ALL my games for free I don't want this shit!"

Then there's those that reply, "you're the reason they're doing this, THIEF"

Followed by, "no, YOU'RE the IDIOT!!!"

The rest are simply ecstatic they will even have the chance to play for free.

I hope this gives a clear picture of what it's like for folks outside of TA.

8. zombiesmoke

zombiesmoke Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    There's already a fantasy oriented, wave-based, storyless freemium action game on the Appstore, it's called Eternity Warriors.

It's pretty pathetic for Gameloft to compete with Glu; not even trying to be the top ios gaming company anymore.

9. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    I wouldn't say it's pathetic. Competition often leads to great things, unfortunately GL's core fanbase was not freemium oriented so it's bound to tick off a lot of people, especially 'crackers'. However, evidently many people do appreciate these types of games.

I cannot bring myself to wish failure on a company so I can only hope this leads to a much larger fanbase for them so they can continue to make the premiums I, myself, enjoy.

That said, I plan to play the crap out of this if they ever get around to adding a complete multiplayer experience, PvP and all. They should have also left possibility for a proper sequel but who knows, they might have something up their sleeve if they plan to continue the series.

I would also be very, VERY displeased if they were to pull the two previous DHs from the store As AppStore classics, I hope they can live on and sell, however slowly.

10. karka

karka Member

Dec 18, 2011
    agree with madman100 for sure!

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    In my mind i'll 'pretend' its like an updated Gauntlet. Mentioned it 40 times before but i wish we had a proper Dungeon Master III RPG experience as both games were superb. To me theyre a bit like an old classic film, its been about 10 months since i last played them so i think i'll return to them early next year and play them all over again

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha yeah!

I'll prolly just treat it like a wave based arena game when I review it. Maybe make a couple comparisons to Glu. I'll prolly also do a small rant about the game's name too. More than likely it'll score better than NFL Pro 2012 an Six-Guns. I'll try and be as objective as possible, but it still irks me when other devs (even much smaller ones) go for a premium price but GL doesn't.

13. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    nevermind

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I still hang onto crazy hope that they wont go crazy with the freemium. When done right (Bullet Time) its not too bad, the 'prices' of items werent super crazy and if you wanted to cheat/get ahead quickly it wasnt too expensive to buy some coins.

Six Guns (still like the game but the prices are TOO high) was the opposite, half a nickel for completing a mission and items priced like theyre made out of gold.

IF you manage to get a lot of coins in the game and prices for new items arent 'too expensive' then it could be okay. But i bet items will cost a lot of money and 'surprise surprise' you have to purchase a lot of coins with real money. Time will tell

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2011
    My wish would be for all these companies to offer the app 2 ways ..

1. Pay a premium and it is Ad free

2. Free app plagued with IAPs and ads.

I am certain there is a market for both people like myself who would pay just to not see ads but plenty of people who would love a free game and could care less about ads.

I know its a pipe dream and will never be a reality but one can dream :).

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I'll hang to that hope as well!

I do see why ppl could/do like Six Guns and I made a point of it in my review. My problem with SG was it's over 700mb for repetitive gameplay that went no where. It also had a mediocre AI IMO and was just hollow. I feel like if SG was $7 most people wouldn't be happy with their purchase, but since it's free they let it off easy. Maybe SG should have just been a subscription based western MMO with more depth like I said earlier.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Again i hang onto blind hope that they release a great update to Six Guns, has potential but i cant see it happening really.

I hope i'm totally wrong about Dungeon Hunter, wish some websites were more honest, the story about DH3 featuring the video seemed quite positive when really they should have shot them down for totally (well possibly) destroying this RPG franchise.

Anyway not long to go now (Talking of Gauntlet i wish there was an official version, Atari i'm sure still own the rights to it, wish they would re-release some old classics not just VCS)

18. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    it's free to play, so no one will be buying it not knowing what it is.. :)

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha yeah! Buying wasn't the best word. I guess I should've said getting or downloading. I think a lot of people will instantly download it thinking it's an actual DH3.

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle

Sadly there is absolutely no point to this. The whole freemium fad is developing because so many people pirate the games. It is easy enough to crack a premium game and let anyone download it for free onto jailbroken devices. Freemium games are very hard (if not impossible) to do the same with.

Having a free and premium version of the same product would only mean that the premium game would get pirated.