iPhone Dungeon Hearts - (by Devolver Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 27, 2013.

1. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Quite a nice game, it is frantic and fast but if you can manage the speed it is very fun. The controls feel smooth although I sometimes tap when I intend to drag.

A couple of things though:
    The tutorial is hidden in the options, I had to search for it to find it.
    There is no sense of progression, it is kind of a high score game, which is a bummer. Some people might find this up their alley, but I like to see my heroes get stronger and finish the game off with a end-game boss.
    Also, the battles are far too long for it to be a mobile game. The enemies have way too much HP, and is not suitable for a pick up and go kind of game.

2. goggles

goggles Active Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Frustrating Experience

I downloaded this game tonight with great excitement, only to be let down. My main gripes: Gameplay is too quick, there seems to be a near perfect touch zone for the gems, and when you put those two elements together it made for an exceedingly frustrating experience. There is no progression in difficulty; the speed of the gems do not change and it doesn't start slow and ramp up. The monsters don't have life bars, so you don't get the feeling that you are doing anything to it. Numbers pop up displaying damage but without a lifebar that's a useless feature. Also, because the enemies have no lifebars, when you get to a monster that has lots of life it feels like it's taking FOREVER to kill it.

I actually really enjoy the games concept quite a bit and I love the level of polish they put on the graphics...it's too bad they didn't flesh out the gameplay to be less frustrating. Way too fast paced for me.

Also, when your characters use their skills a message pops up that says something like, "push the button upon landing to deal extra damage" but I couldn't find any such button. Glitch? Not sure.

All in all, graphics and sound are amazing, but as of right now the gameplay is lackluster and supremely frustrating due to poor pacing and unforgiving touch zone on gems.

Am I regretting this purchase? You bet! Do I have high hopes for this game? You bet! It's got the potential to be an amazing game...it just needs more love and care.

3. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Uhhh maybe you should go to work instead of even faintly considering hanging out on the TA boards dude. LOL

4. metalmandave83

metalmandave83 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    He'll need something to do when he's fired.

5. metalmandave83

metalmandave83 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I'd like to buy this but would rather wait and see if they make it universal. I've got too much stuff on my ipad already.

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

That answers it. Damn. I had been watching this one for a VERY long time but my kryptonite is games that are just too fast. There's a fine balance, games like Plants Vs Zombies - they do it right. This, however, doesn't seem to have that. I don't want to be miserable playing a game that's too fast when it doesn't need to be.

I want to support this game, I do, but I can't just drop money on it in hopes it'll get fixed later down the road. I'll be watching the thread very closely, but man... I am really sad.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The speed thing is odd, because I watched that entire video thinking "this is slow as hell, it'd better speed up soon".

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I work in front of the computer. LOL.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... thanks for the overwhelming concern.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #30 Exact-Psience, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    The speed is what makes the game finite i think. It's meant to be frantic.

The downside is that when you lose a hero (0 hp), his color of runes become useless, and become more of a hindrance in getting far. Makes everything more crippling than just losing a character with some useful skills. His runes block the other runes. You can t match the dead guy's runes so you are stuck moving them around... and in this game, crowded = bad.

It's meant as a on-the-go, hi-score type game similar to Monsters Ate My Condo, as opposed to the hype that this was some kind of a Puzzle/RPG which it isnt.

I really thought it was a PuzRPG, and that was a letdown. Nonetheless, it was supposed to be a well thought out game... Unfortunately, the game is too unforgiving with a steep learning curve, and the game's speed doesnt help here.

I think im gonna keep this for now. I enjoyed the brief time i played with it, so imma keep playing (from time to time) to see if i can discover some tactics that will make the game more enjoyable.

But right now, i cant recommend it as is for the steep learning curve, difficulty, and the wrong-genre-expectation mindset.

If you're up for a challenge or just want a new hi-score puzzle game with a hard-to-learn system, then by all means, the game is decent enough if you can be patient to keep playing while figuring out strategies and stuff all with the game's frantic pacing.

11. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The trailer was so good, but after playing this, im actually disappointed with the gameplay. How i wish they just sticked with classic match 3 then added a few twists. Moving a gem around is something i hope to be removed from the game.

12. amdreh

amdreh Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Brazil
    #32 amdreh, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    The video looked quite interesting, but after reading those impressions I'll pass. Besides, I've just finished 10000000, so I think I had enough of matching for a while.

13. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I gave it some more time today. There's a good idea in there somewhere but man...after the first few monsters you just end up trying to brute force your way through. There's simply no time to try and limit enemy attacks, build up combos, avoid hexes, note your HP and note when up to 12 different skills are active.

Even if we're going to take it as a MAMC type of puzzler, it's just information overload and poorly presented.

Also with a game like this controls have to be perfect, because every mistake will punish you but...nope. Moving the gems around at speed is fiddly as hell.

Still, a big update or two could fix it.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is my problem. Cant keep up with all of them at the same time, and failing in one aspect is usually gg.

15. spott96

spott96 Active Member

Nov 8, 2010
    California
    I had fun, but I might be done with the game...

I've gone through three runs in this game, and I am currently #1 on the leader board with 26,545 points (first time even being close to #1 on a leader board), and I think I am done.

I liked the feel of the game, the art, and the music. However, the game play gets a little tiring and by the 15th monster a little too frantic with too much to watch (health, skills, runes, matching, combos, etc.)

I'd say I got my three dollars worth, but it's hard to recommend, unless I start to see some updates or features added like more heros, boosts to skip through some beginning levels, different skills, or something to make each run different.

Overall, I found it fun for awhile but it doesn't have a lasting appear right now, and I'm not sure how long it will stay on my device.

16. ypai1217

ypai1217 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2013
    I have an iPad 1 and I can't even start the game.. It crashes at the loading screen. I feel ripped off :(

17. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I for one like that it's hard. And that the matching is different than the norm.
    Sad to see this game with so much negativity out of the gate--it's pretty good quality.

18. link6616

link6616 Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I know the feeling. I mean, I was surprised it says it supported iPad 1, because that's increasingly rare, especially when 3d is involved. If it didn't say it supported it, I wouldn't be the slightest annoyed, but this really is just a case of set up expectations I guess...

Oh well, I've had a tweet complaining about this favourited by a dev of the game it seems, so hopefully that means something will happen...

19. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    This game is also pretty RAM loving. I had to empty the multitasking bar otherwise it crashes on my iPad 2.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If the guy at the top of the leaderboard won't even recommend the game, you know something went wrong.