Universal Dungeon Falan (by Happy Doze)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Charging is not the only point here. Excessive heating and battery drain damages your phone and its battery in the long run. Unless you plan on upgrading every year.

2. TheSilveryWolf

TheSilveryWolf Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    When you are low on health (could be x amount or x% of health) could you provide some indication, like the health meter pulses or the screen is awash in red or something? Sometimes I don't pay attention :p

3. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Reporting back after playing a few days with lower power mode and even haptic feedback disabled. (iPhone X)

Heating and battery drain is substantially low. The camera area heats up slightly but it's negligible. But the game sure doesn't feel the same any more. Sure, it's playable, but lacks the smoothness and responsiveness of the default settings.

boorch likes this.
  4. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Gaming sessions take way too long for my liking. I simply get bored and loose interest, since single moves are simply irrelevant for most of a session.

5. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #45 geoelectric, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Low Power Mode is a “limp home” mode anyway—not something to be using up front. Nobody should be seriously suggesting it as the way to work around a power suck. It’s an unexpected performance bug flag that a turn-based 2D indie game should be draining a battery significantly, not an expected fact of life.

The “I’ll only fix it if it gets hot in LPM” comment was off base and, along with the bias towards adding content before QoL features that seem standard in 2020, made me a bit pessimistic about the trajectory of this game. Match games don’t succeed on content, they succeed on atmosphere and whether you can quickly achieve flow state, guided smoothly via QoL features and design polish.

If I hadn’t snapped it up after the first few comments I’d be taking a pass on it now. It’s not really grabbing me the way Dungeon Raid, Wargames, etc, did. Not sure if it’s just being at the tail of a bunch of these matchers or that it’s actually missing special sauce, but I wandered off the game much more quickly than expected.

Rocksaint likes this.
  6. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    is the cooldown reduction from intelligence supposed to be ongoing? I only notice it on powers that are currently on cooldown.

Second not liking upgrades to items being removed when you level them up. Strongly pushes player towards stat upgrades instead of item upgrades, in which case, why have them?

7. Moshfosh

Moshfosh Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Can someone explain what the numbers on the enemy icons mean? I feel like I missed something

8. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    #48 metalwastebasket, Oct 24, 2020
    I get where you're coming from, but I think you're painting @boorch in an overly bad light here.

First and foremost, remember, this is a one man project and the dude was being very transparent about his resources and capabilities as a developer and (unless I'm missing something) hasn't flat-out rejected anything beyond overhauling the way the entire game works.

"I'll only fix it" is paraphrasing in the worst way possible. That was never stated explicitly and...look...I don't know the first thing about game development or whatever and I'd imagine no matter the genre of game, if it's running in 60fps (again, I don't know if it is) and utilizes haptic feedback to the degree that it's being meticulously used here, in principle, the game is going to suck the life out of your battery. Turning off the bells and whistles DOES do wonders (as evident by @Rocksaint's post and my own experience with the game), so clearly boorch has done his homework. Also, for some bizarre reason, your post makes it sound like you're talking about iOS' native Low Power Mode. Turning on an IN GAME battery saver mode certainly isn't a last ditch effort to save battery and no one in their right mind is going to tell you to turn on iOS' Low Power Mode to play their game.

That said...whether or not you've got Match 3 burnout or if the game just bores you and seems overly long is totally your call and I fully respect that, but I couldn't stand idly by while your post basically deemed both the game and the developer worthless.

boorch likes this.
  9. OtterKen

OtterKen New Member

Oct 24, 2020
    Like the idea and the graphics:)

boorch likes this.
  10. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #50 boorch, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion. This will be implemented in the v1.2 update.

Ok I won't get into boring technical details here but I want to shed some light into this. The sort of "industry standard" when releasing mobile games is to have a 30fps lock (which is the only thing "Low Power Mode" of Dungeon Falan does) by default. As @metalcasket already mentioned, I want to underline it's NOT the native Low Power Mode on iOS, I'm talking about the "Low Power Mode" in the Options menu of Dungeon Falan.

I simply prefer to keep it at 60fps and give the user option to set it to 30 if they want because I want the initial experience to be as smooth as possible. I'm aware of all the tricks of dynamically changing fps-limit when nothing is happening on screen on most of the "turn based" games but I simply preferred to have some animated backgrounds on some of the boards so this was a fair drawback for me. There's not an unexpected performance bug. Everything that's happening on a tile is just a multi-purpose shader I have, that even handles animations with simple UV displacement and changing material properties at run-time. This was also a design decision to keep drawcalls and occupied texture memory as little as possible (no frame by frame animation) and make the processor handle those. This made it possible to make the game run decently even in low end devices, while keeping the "polish" still. The fact that it's a 2D turn-based indie game does not mean that it should be able to run on a GameBoy Color. The whole idea of this project for me is to make a game in the medium that I love (which is 2D and pixel-art) and make it as polished as possible with the features I love (I'm a big fan of shader-work and haptics etc). As mentioned in the early posts, I'm just a technical artist by profession, not a full fledged programmer. But that doesn't mean I have limited technical knowledge about what's going on under the hood of a game engine.

About the overall game design, I'm sorry it didn't grab you as Dungeon Raid did, but it's simply impossible to meet everyone's expectations. I'm always glad to hear any positive/negative feedback so thank you for your feedback because "any" feedback means at least somebody cared enough about this thing I created (amongst millions of other games) so they are inclined to say something about it. I totally respect your opinion and if you're not satisfied with the product, you of course have the right to get a refund at https://reportaproblem.apple.com/ It only takes a minute.

After reading your comment, I started investigating all parts of the game that used Intelligence and I found a weird edge case. This is probably what's causing your problem. I fixed it and I even cancelled the "pending for review" update and I submitted and upload another build with this Intelligence stuff fixed. Thanks for hunting this bug!

Regarding upgrades being removed, this has been a debate going on for too long and even though I still believe it's a fair drawback, since it's brought up multiple times, I will try a version where you keep your upgrades and maybe even run a small public TestFlight for it, before coming to a definitive conclusion to include it in the game. My main worry is it would break the (already pretty fragile) balance and maybe make it a bit boring because once you select an upgrade, you won't be able to change it with another upgrade until you die. (Stacking multiple types of item upgrades is of course out of the question since it'll be basically "god mode" and will be super hard to balance)

Yellow is their Attack Damage, Blue is their Shield, Red is their Health. This was explained in the "Quick Tips" screen that's shown automatically in the beginning of every run until you "die" at least 2 times. It's also accessible from the top right "Menu" button all the time. Please let me know if "Quick Tips" wasn't shown automatically in your first ever run, if that's the case that may be a super rare bug.

CrayonWarrior and metalcasket like this.
  11. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #51 boorch, Oct 24, 2020
    Hey everyone!
    I just submitted an update (1.1) to the App Store.

Changes in v1.1:
    • Reflect damage percentage raised from 10% to 50% per stat value
    • Poison damage (offensive or defensive) can stack for a maximum of 5 times now
    • Fixed Music On/Off state in Options not being stored properly
    • Fixed an edge case that prevented skill cool-downs being effected by Intelligence stat

90% of all the bugs I fixed from the initial beta to this release were detected by the TouchArcade community. So I'd like to THANK YOU once again for the precious feedback!

12. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Just throwing out there that I’ve playing quite a bit for long sessions, and I haven’t really noticed my phone hearing up or any major battery drain. The only thing I did to settings was turn off haptic feedback, because I f’ing hate haptic feedback on anything but action games.

As far as damaging the battery, I’m on the iPhone 11, first week it was out purchase, and I use the battery case for it (day 1 it came out), and my phones’s battery health is still 98%... I am no tech guy, so obviously this is just my own observation, but I literally use my phone for everything (even for work now with a Bluetooth Keyboard in the age of COVID).

Also, this may be blasphemy, but I actually am starting to like this more than Dungeon Raid...

boorch likes this.
  13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Still wish there was a way to manually save. Then the game would be near perfect.

14. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Hi guys! v1.1 update went through!

Here's a question for you: I've just received a review that says they can't unlock a character even though they earned enough fame to unlock it. Did anybody have this issue? If not I assume it's just a misunderstanding on user's side because I wasn't able to reproduce it.

Cheers!

15. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    I do believe every instance of me unlocking a character and background has required I kill the app first and launch it again. iPhone XS on iOS 14.1.

16. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Glad I could help you find one. Fair enough on the item piece, although I will point out that skills have the same "no change until you die" problem, and of course you could implement a system that allowed changing upgrades if you wanted and the programming wasn't prohibitively annoying (currently, when you go to swap out an item via coins, you can see what existing upgrade it has, you could add such knowledge and allow overwrites to the shield-based upgrade acquisition screen).

Hrrmmm... not yet for me. The race/class intersection gave a ton of build knobs to twiddle in Dungeon Raid, we'll see if item upgrades can stand in for that if they get changed or if new classes or races get added.

17. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    Someone seem like to get it wrong.
    It's actually DR inspired I feel, but it is another game.
    You might want DR to come back however it doesn't dream come true.
    DR has many good appeal exactly, but this game has different specialities as well IMO.
    I like it!!

18. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Oh, I like it too. It's just not past DR yet.
    More bugs(?):
    - now that intelligence lowers cooldown, it appears that there is a 5 round cooldown for skills. Which is fine, but when you go to select a skill that is already at 5 round cooldown when you level up, it says the cooldown will go from 5>>4, but it does not
    - is it intended that if a bomb boss explodes and you survive its not intended to end the level?

solarnya likes this.
  19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What I've found with the unlocks is that while I didn't actually need to first kill the app to see the new unlocks, they didn't show up unlocked until the second game since unlocking. So the flow would be:

1) Play a game that technically earned me a new unlock.
    2) (the new unlock not showing) Play a second game.
    3) Now when starting the third game I see the new unlocked material from the first game.

When selecting Equipment Enchantments (like Drain or Reflect), why not be able to first see what is already on it, like when doing an Equipment Upgrade?

20. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Game started acting real weird at end of level 13. Killed boss, when the monster tiles were replaced the new icons were overlaid on the old ones so it was really hard to tell what anything was. Since it just saved, closed app and reloaded save game. On turn 622, a path I traced didn't resolve when I took my finger off, it just stayed shimmering on the board. Nothing else I swiped on the board did anything. I was able to launch a fireball, but the shimmering line has just stayed there. I can change menu options or hop over to my character sheet, but I can no longer play the game.

I was a mage with Shield Echo, Fireball, Disarm, and Scavenge, stats 37/13/38/170/100%, 11 regen, 150% reflect, 10 poison. Morning Star with poison attack, rusty helmet, demon shield, and guardian armor.

So I ask you... am I falan the dungeon, or is the dungeon falan me?