Universal Dungeon Falan (by Happy Doze)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Oct 19, 2020.

1. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #21 boorch, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Hey thanks for the feedback!
    • Yep item upgrades are lost when getting a new weapon. This is by design (and I believe it existed on Dungeon Raid as well). It feels like it's a drawback but in theory, upgrading your weapon has more benefits (+1 dmg per weapon matched) and upgrading armor, helmet or shield is also beneficial (the shield increases exponentially per upgrade on the same item like +1, +3, +5 etc) and it also allows you to switch your strategy depending on your character stats throughout the game (otherwise it'll be upgrading the same effect all the time). Stacking multiple effects is a bit "uncontrollable" in terms of game design and may produce lots of edge cases that will ruin balancing of the game. I also love the way it forces you to try different play styles each run. Judging by the analytics data I get on the beta period, people tend to "not experiment" a lot and stick with the same skills/upgrades all the time if they're not forced to. :D
    • Added "dynamic changing of board skins" to the road map, can't guarantee when it'll be implemented tho since there are a lot or more urgent updates in the list :)
    • This has been requested before, I feel like it'll be a bit inconvenient (balancing-wise) but I'm planning to include a way to "trash" a skill to earn some XP in return so it's not a complete loss, but a minor draw-back. No promises tho since I still believe the thought I mentioned above ("I love the way it forces you to try different play styles each run") applies.
    • Offensive poison lasts for 3 turns but it resets to 3 every time you inflict another attack on the same monster so that would be a stack perhaps. Defensive Poison is applied every time a monster attacks you (so, every enemy turn unless they're stunned or "sleeping"). That also stacks but it's for 2 turns (so it's lost only if you stun them with "Earthshaker" skill of Warrior or destroy their "weapons" woth the "Shatter" skill of Rogue). It's a bit hard to stack poison damage and it's a bit less useful after turn 200-250 so it's more like a "complementary" stat for a "tanky" class like Warrior for sustained damage, or as a last resort finisher for a "crit" class like Rogue.

On Normal mode, the game is saved every time you defeat a boss (so usually around every 50-60 turns) on Mayhem mode, there's no save because it's meant to be played only for 100 turns in a one go. This was the quickest way to implement some sort of "save game" for me since I develop this game in the limited time that I have left from my day job and I try to use the majority of my time to add new content and keep the somewhat working save system as it is. (Saving data is super complicated for a non-programmer like myself) :)

As a positive side effect, you can use it as some sort of "cheat". So let's say you're at turn 273 and looking at the board, you see you'll definitely die next turn. You can exit the run using the Menu button top left, and when you press "continue" on the main menu, you will load your last save, which will be the turn after you defeat the last boss (most likely to be after turn 250 since bosses are usually spawned every 50 turns in Normal mode) so it acts like some sort of a "checkpoint" in a way :)

"Falan" literally means "et cetera". Or it you think more casually "stuff". It's kind of a funny word play, but it also sounds somewhat "exotic" for those that don't know its meaning, that's why I chose it :)

Regarding the difficulty, I'm somewhat satisfied with the balancing of the latest version. I know some people play the same "run" for 3-4 days, and that's how I imagine Normal mode to be played like :)

Myrkul and Ijipop like this.
  2. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Great game till now and i think with a little ironing here and there will be fantastic...!
    One small marketing tip to the dev... Change the app icon to something more memorable and unique (like a skull, sword, door, hero face etc.)... The existing is a little bit "generic" and this is difficult to stand out on the app store or to create an "adventurous feeling" to potential customers... just my 5 cents... :)

3. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    It's endless, so it's a highscore game. On iOS 14+, apart from the usual high score leaderboards, there are also Daily Normal and Daily Mayhem leaderboards!

Jstorm likes this.
  4. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    I'm considering this :) It used to be just the "elite minion" skull, but later I made this version so it communicates it's a "tile based" game. Usually something "iconic" only works for games that have "proven" themselves already, hoepfully this will "prove" itself as well so I feel free to use any "niche" icon I want :D

ironsam80 likes this.
  5. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    @boorch what about iCloud support?

6. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    No plans to have iCloud support soon (because I have to learn how to do it first and new content always have higher priority than “utility” features).
    Depending on how the sales go, I might consider buying a plug-in to make implementation easier for me :)

solarnya likes this.
  7. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    So in order to save after a boss, you just force close? Really wish there was just a manual save. Even 50-60 turns to get to a boss can take quite a while. Thought I had beaten a boss but it didn’t save when I force closed it. (Figured exiting the dungeon would reset it completely)

Saving is really my only complaint about the game.

wonderbear likes this.
  8. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Nope you don’t need to force close. The game is saved the moment the boss is killed. If that didn’t happen for some reason, I would have to investigate why because that must be a bug! Thanks for the info!

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @boorch
    Good fun but, as you might already know, it doesn't appear to save my music settings (I have to keep turning it off, even within the same session).

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    DR didn't go on forever, the enemies would eventually start ramping up in power exponentially. As I recall, the limit was between 1000 and 1500 turns when it typically became impossible to keep up.

11. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Yep this has been reported and will be fixed in the next update.

It’s the same here. The enemies get exponentially powerful. On paper it’s endless, but theoratically you will die at some point anyways :)

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    #32 DaviddesJ, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    It works to make the game finite, but it has a bit of a downside. I remember learning 40 years ago in "Circuits and Electronics" that an exponential function often behaves effectively like a step function: below a threshold it's negligible, and above the threshold it's effectively infinite, with only a short transition range. What I found a bit unsatisfying about DR was that a bad run would be 1200 turns and a good run would be 1400 turns and there wasn't much difference really.

13. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Been playing for a few days now. And the game heats up and drains battery of my phone quite substantially. (iPhone X)

It’s a shame because this is exactly the kinda game I’d like to play for hours.

14. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Did you try enabling Low Power Mode at the Options menu? If you did and it still gets hot, it might be a bug and I would have to investigate it.

15. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    No, I haven't tried that. But ideally, I would expect it to perform well even without it. I'll try that and let you know.

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @boorch i think you’ve done a great job, the saving is an issue for me as I like to be able to quit whenever since I have a baby and it’s the way things often are on mobile games.

Wont other devs share that information with you on how to implement something like that or is it too complicated for that?

17. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Serializing the whole "board" content along with tile stats (health, shield, attack etc) is a favor that's TOO BIG to ask from my developer friends :) Actually I'm considering to figure out how it's implemented, at least it'll make me a better programmer (which I'm not even, I'm basically a technical artist heheh) so it might come in the future, but I can't really say when :)

ste86uk likes this.
  18. wonderbear

wonderbear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I have been on the beta and I found that turning on the low power setting does help, but it still drains the battery on my iPhone 11 Pro more than I thought it would. Could be because I am always using the animated backgrounds?

Rocksaint likes this.
  19. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Could also be the haptic feedback and vibrations too.

20. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Generally if you're going to play "for hours" then charging wouldn't be a problem? You aren't going to play for hours and also in a location where you have no access to charging?