Dungeon Defenders (powered by Unreal Engine. Coming Dec 2010) [Submitted]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by trystero, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axidrain

Axidrain Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    I think I read somewhere that the ue3 engine doesnt run on macs. But I could be mistaken. Anyway u should definitely check it out when u get the chance to. Looking forward for more games utilizing this engine :D

2. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree. Being a hardcore gamer, that follows the console space closely...

Any game on iOS utilizing unreal3 automatically gains my undivided attention.

This is mostly because I am fully aware of what the unreal3 engine can do, visually (with the right talent of course)

And that some of the best games use this engine:

Mass Effect 1 & 2

Gears of War 1 & 2

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Lost Odyssey

Bioshock

Borderlands

Mirrors Edge (consoles)

And others...

3. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    I must say, this Unreal engine is grabbing my attention too. Personally, I thought Rage HD was awesome, but I'm looking forward to Infinity Blade and indeed Dungeon Defenders even more. I'm not really a CD fan, but I have to admit that I'm looking forward to DD - it looks ahem, unreal. Can't wait!!

4. twittedapps

twittedapps Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I must say, UE3 for iPhone can't be like UE3 for PC. I can't see the way you can port a game from PC with 1000 drawcalls into a 30 drawcalls Iphone.
    What I mean is that what UE3 can do on PC is not what it can do on iPhone/iPad.

5. Axidrain

Axidrain Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    what's a drawcall? :p but anyway yea. im not expecting any console ports. just looking forward to nicer looking games on the ios platform. at least we now have a benchmark for what the ios devices can do >:3

6. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    Me too, I prefer something developed with the iOS in mind, than a lousy port... Don't get me wrong, but I prefer to keep playing Mass Effect on my PC/Console, and play different games using this engine on my iPhone...

7. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    #67 Borgqueenx, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Dungeon Defenders Submitted!

Awesome news deserved a new topic! EDIT: ok to some moderator it didnt need a new topic.
    By @TrendyEnt:
    and about the game vs real pc version:
    And it will be a universal version, at only 2,99 dollar.

Made by UT3 engine so awesome graphics, and a awesome gameplay combo! RPG+TD seems epic :D :D :D

8. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
  9. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Epic Games said ports were possible, it would just take a little reworking:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30223/Interview_Epics_Capps_On_Bringing_Hardcore_Flavor_To_iOS.php

Excerpts:

Do you use all of the exact same back-end tools, like Kismet and everything?

Yes. Everything's supported. The difference of course is that it's not quite as powerful a graphics processor as on the Xbox 360, so you'll probably do some custom content work, but you're using the same tool chain of UnrealEd and Kismet and the same phsyics tools and everything.

Is there anything in the tool chain about scaling down products that are developed on console platforms, or is that something that people are going to have to do manually?

I think it's going to depend on the title. I mean, if you're really pushing the PS3 to the limits, then you're going to need to do some rework.

But we've got some automated tools to help customize how draw calls are met for iPhone, but I think it's probably going to be a mix of the two. Some people's games are going to work just fine, and other games you're going to need to do some custom work.

Obviously, art, particularly seems like it would be an issue. I mean, the character models for Gears of War, specifically, seem like they'd be very hard to translate.

It actually turns out that we get really high-resolution textures, which is the first thing you'd think about how "we're going to have to dumb that down." But you don't, because you've got so much memory on an iPhone.

You've got 16 gigs of flash memory, which is way better, faster memory than what most people have generally on a home PC. So that stuff works really well. It's the big environments that get really complicated on the rendering tools for iPhone. But yeah, we've got some tricks for it.

Do you see this as becoming a big area for the use of your engine? Do you see it becoming a big new space?

I do. I mean, with the expansion of the Unreal Development Kit, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks who are messing around with the tools doing smaller projects. So we're not really just about giant triple-A console games anymore. Those are the ones -- Mass Effect gets press, but there are lots of small hobby groups or casual gamers using Unreal Engine. I think it's perfect for them. It's what they've been missing.

Hopefully more indie devs will use this. I'm also looking at you Gameloft.

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Have there been any hands on from the major sites?

11. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

Not that I've read, or seen. I've wondered the same thing.

12. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    If we're lucky at all, I'm hoping the game gets released this week.

13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

New info again :

-can confirm that DD:FW iOS has indeed been submitted to Apple certification. Feel free to e-mail Apple and tell them how much you're looking forward to DD:FW coming to their platform this year

Next week, our focus shifts to the Android platforms & various devices, and we expect to have exciting news on that front soon (including full compatibility lists)!

Looking forward to playing DD:FW with you online soon as we start to level up our official heroes together!

-Jer

P.S. We're going to have another brand new mobile DunDef-related product announced before the end of this year. Stay tuned...

- The game is about 400 MB
    - Yes there will be DLC for the mobile versions (more levels, items, characters, and such). But no, the upcoming mobile announcement is not related to DLC... how's that for vague?

Woah 400mb is pretty small, that's good!

14. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

Since they recommended contacting Apple, but didn't leave a way to do so...

But, would it do any good?

If the dev is recommending that method, maybe we should :p

And request a quicker process for Infinity Blade, while we're at it
    :cool:

Anyhow, in all seriousness, I hope both release soon.

15. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Great news that it's already in apple's hands. This is insta buy for me.

16. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    When it comes to using the engine and console ports, to iOS I'd enjoy seeing:

Turok, Batman, Mirrors Edge and Borderlands...

I doubt we'd ever see Mass Effect ported over, so I didn't include that series...

17. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Why can't you come out? EXPLOSION!!! lol I hope I will have enough for ib aralon and bfbc2. I'm definitely getting this though. Wait I has a question. Do you need to pay a monthly fee for an account?

18. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #78 Pacificsun0481, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    Account for what?

If you're asking about iTunes or game center?

The answer is no.

A bank account?

Depends on your age, bank or type of account.

- just use iTunes cards, it's easier. I don't know if that was your question or not.

19. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    No no no! Lol, I meant like in World of Warcraft don't you have to pay a monthly fee to keep your account? I'm asking if there is a system like that for this game! Lol

20. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Awww, just now noticed that it's an online multiplayer game. Will there be an offline singleplayer mode? otherwise it just looks like Pocket Legends but with much more diversity, and better graphics and gameplay.