Universal Dungeon Crawlers [by Ayopa Games]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iVaro, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Yes please. I want to go back and find the secrets!

-Greg

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I am so on the fence with this game.

My biggest concern is difficulty. I am fine with TBS games early on, but when things start to get a bit more complicated, it usually goes downhill for me.

How is the difficulty curve in the game? I see people struggling on 2-1, which seems pretty darn early to run into issues. I don't want to pick something up that I'm going to be frustrated with in the first few hours, I'm hoping to find a fun, casual experience.

Will I find that here? Are there difficulty levels, perchance?

Thanks everyone :)

3. chud575

chud575 Active Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Answers to many of your questions

Hi Guys,

First off - We believe we've squashed all the memory constraints. It now uses under 100 MB on the lower end devices, which should allow you to safely play the game without crashing. However, you should always kill off any extra apps you have running in the background just in case. I've done some testing but you can never really tell how all that works and gets handled by the system.

The update goes out today, and hopefully will go up in the App store this weekend, but i cannot speak as to how quickly Apple will process it.

Now to answer some of your questions:
    1. There are some questions pertaining to how to know if the character has acted. We grey out the ability when you do. The reason we didn't want to "Freeze" the character out, was because you can still technically walk after committing an action, and we were unsure how to display this various information without it getting confusing. However we are always open to suggestions.

2. The ability and player wheels will be fixed in the 1.1 update

3. Loot - Gold drops randomly (high % chance) Chests are fixed. There will be a store in the main menu on 1.1 update that will let you use the loot, and IAP that will let you buy gold to buy potions, etc. But i want to be clear: We really believe that a game should be 100% beatable without resorting to IAP. This game was balanced that way. You don't NEED to buy potions, but its there if you need the help or just want to be a badass and drink a potion of strength.

4. Finding out info about your enemy. In the 1.1 (maybe 1.2) update, there will be a Bestiary. After you see an enemy for the first time, then complete the level, you will unlock the ability to see those characters in the Bestiary. We will make sure this gets retro fitted to those that are deeper into the game when the update comes out

5. How Saves work Essentially the game works like this: When you walk into combat for the first time, an auto save is created. This way you can restart from last encounter. Whenever the "Your Turn" banner pops up, and you click on it, a user save is made. So the game is saving for you. Some of you mentioned that "Save when pressing home button". This should happen 9/10 times. It won't save if its in an un-savable state.

6. Justly - your mentioned your game got totally hosed and you couldn't restart. Really sorry about that, i've never seen anything like it. If you can figure out a way to reproduce it please PM me.

7. Healthbars - Healthbars only appear when they are necessary (when Roy has a heal selected), otherwise, you can get your currently selected characters HP above his portrait. Would you guys like an option in the options menu to just keep HB's up all the time?

8. Level Select Menu#- Will be in the 1.1 Update

Okay. Lemme know your thoughts.

- Josh

4. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #104 Card, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Yes - easy, medium and hard.

I'm on medium and I've had some very close battles, died once. But I'm only on level 2-1; easy would def' be the way to go for casual players.

5. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Hi Josh, looking forward to the update. Yes - an option to keep the Health Bar's up all the time would be great.

6. chud575

chud575 Active Member

Feb 13, 2010
    And it's posted! Ayopa tells me that we should be seeing it posted to the App Store but no later than thursday, and as early as tuesday. Sorry for the delay guys!

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I think everyone understands that, Josh. The point is that having to select each character to double check is rather clunky and necessitates even more tapping in an interface that already requires more tapping than it should. Instead, there could be some sort of visual indicator directly on the character so that it would be easy to see this information at a glance (in much the same way as an option to have health bars always visible would prevent you from having to check each character individually). For instance, you might make a character semi-transparent or something after they have used their action.

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    If you missed a secret in a level how do you (or are you able to) return to the level to find it?

9. Mfox76

Mfox76 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Anyone pass the banshee queen ? Can't figure out the proper sequence to pull the levers :-(

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #110 bigrand1, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    That's ridiculous! I've got over 500 apps! No way I'd do that for ANY reason! Get it down below 90! LMFAO!! No one game is worth that to me! I say just wait and let the dev fix it or forget it! It's that simple. Funniest thing I've ever heard!

11. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    The one with the rivers crossing? Trying to figure that one out myself.

12. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Me too!

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I found the game a little too simple, unfortunately. It doesn't seem like there are really enough choices to offer much strategy. Disappointing.

14. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    So how about some assistance with the banshee and the river crossing level?

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I didn't get that far. Doubt I will unless I have reason to think it gets more interesting pretty fast. If it's just a puzzle, not a tactical fight, I'm probably not that interested. What chapter is that in? I got to 2-1 before getting bored and switching to something else.

16. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I passed it. Have two characters pull the levers on either side first, then one lever in the back, then whichever side of the room is still flowing water... go back and pull the lever on the opposite side.

The banshee queen will spawn once more, and when you kill her again it'll be over.

17. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Then it sure would appear that your comment about the game being "too simple" would be premature and unfair.

18. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Wish I had the problems some of you are having. No matter what I do I can't finish 1-3. Crashes out of the game every single time it tries to load after the cutscene at the end :(

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    My ipad1 crashes every time the second stage summary shows and cannot go on.

20. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Thank you so much - worked like a charm.

She was chapter 2 boss. I do agree that your statement of "too easy" is premature given this new information - here I was asking for help from you because I thought you finished the whole game! Aren't all tactical fights a puzzle to some extent? Granted the first chapter levels were straightforward - target this enemy before they target and obliterate you - but as you can see from this level many of us were stuck on, there needs to be some strategy to work out how to keep her dead. I dunno what the next chapter might bring but I know I am excited to find out.

I am thinking that this might not be your genre - I recall similar complaints in other games of this nature. You just have a different way of looking at them then I believe they are meant to be approached.