Universal Dungelot: Shattered Lands (by tinyBuild LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Press and hold to get the description. Most of them are bad news!

I experienced a little display bug: when visiting the merchant, his text bubble appears behind the items so is hidden. I'm playing on an iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2.

2. guzhenjie1

guzhenjie1 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    The bug of spells' targeting hasn't fixed yet: when I cast a spell which needs a target, but there is no target on the screen, the game will be freezing alike, I can't cancel casting or do anything else. The only option is force close the app.

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #483 vectorarchitekt, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    It's pretty annoying, happening almost every other game now.
    The only good part is that you get to start the floor over again.

And the starvation thing is absolute crap. I finally had a great run....tons of potion, armor...almost to the boss but no food, no matter how hard I looked.
    These characters are gluttonous fatsos if they need that much food just to travel two floors.

This game tries so hard to get me to delete it. Between the randomness of the food to the fact that I can lose 20-30 health on one monster, and the axe throwing motherf***ers, seriously.

4. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    In the App Store it days 18 dungeons available to explore. So these dungeons are all the same? They aren't random for replayability like for example Runestone Keeper that generates entirely new dungeons in each playthrough?

5. elfspelth

elfspelth Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I hate this update. The trapped tiles don't add anything & now the fun little random events between floors are missing. Bah humbug.

6. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
  7. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
  8. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Just fired this up for the first time yesterday. Not getting it at all. Nicely put together, and the achievements string the player along nicely, but I feel like I have very little input into what is happening. I'm mainly just initiating random events by tapping, and occasionally using found items. I enjoyed Solitairica but deleted it after winning with two or three decks for being too shallow, but this makes Solitairica seem like chess in comparison.

Am I missing something? Is there a deeper level of strategy in there somewhere? Or is just a very well constructed time waster?

9. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    #489 sweetdiss, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Think of it more like Minesweeper, where you have to make educated guesses where to tap. Also, most of the strategy comes from managing your various spells and items. You don't want to waste them on weak enemies, stuff like that. I haven't played this in a few months so maybe someone else can elaborate.

Overall I love this series though, so you should stick with it a bit longer if you can. It's really addicting once it clicks.

Edit: Here's the review I wrote for toucharcade: http://toucharcade.com/2016/01/26/dungelot-shattered-lands-review/

10. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    #490 OrangutanKungfu, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    I think that's my issue - with Minesweeper, you rarely, if ever, need to guess; you use logic to work out the clear spaces. I became pretty good at Minesweeper back in my feckless student days, and I was hoping Dungelot would scratch that itch. Unfortunately, it doesn't - it's more like a fruit machine. It's a very well made fruit machine, and I can see why it would appeal to many people, but I'm not one of them.

I did read your review, though, to see if I was missing anything. Good review, well made game, but I think it's not for me.

Edit: But I think will give it more time. It's still quite compelling.

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I agree you rarely have to guess in Minesweeper, so it's not a super accurate comparison. Still, for me it kind of scratches a similar itch since there aren't that many good Minesweeper clones on iOS. It's definitely more of an RPG though, with the looting/managing/dying/upgrading aspects.

About 10 years ago I got super into Minesweeper and was obsessed with speeding through puzzles (no flags!) as fast as possible. Here's another game I reviewed a while back that is a pretty neat take on it: http://toucharcade.com/2015/07/20/puzzle-sweeper-review/

Sorry to keep going off topic, but I'm curious what Minesweeper games you like on iOS? I'm always looking for more.

12. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Somewhere out there is a very old PC with some pretty awesome Minesweeper times on it... Not sure what my best times were, but I was definitely regularly breaking under two minutes for Expert. Look, it was either that, or go back to writing my essays...

I've given Dungelot a bit more time and, yeah, I'm enjoying it more. Definitely more about the strategic use of resources than a logic puzzle. I've not really found anything to scratch that Minesweeper itch, but was put on to picross by TA this year. Revelatory. Paint It Back has been great.

I will definitely have to check out Puzzle Sweeper.

13. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Puzzle Sweeper is awesome.
    I suck at Minesweeper so Dungelot is better for me, however....
    It is so frustrating to figure out why I am always suddenly killed for no reason, besides being low on HP or starving.

14. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Anyone still playing this game? Any update in the near future?

15. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I'm playing from time to time

16. orton1227

orton1227 Active Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Love this game but having trouble figuring out a lot of the tile events. Is there a rundown somewhere? Obviously the sword increases your attack and the three claws attack you, as does the arrows. But why does the blue potion sometimes take away 30 health? And what does the scream do? And the blank ink with the pink background tile?

17. GBRA

GBRA New Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Loving this game, too bad there's no update to be seen T_T

18. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I wonder if this game will be supported or not.
    Not sure if having Tiny Build publish it helped Red Winter or not.