Dungelot [Dungeon crawler]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Pixeye, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    The game looks great! Looking forward to it.. If you need any beta testers count me in! :)

:D

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Go for it! Undead Cows are original and funny. Think Diablo II
    easter egg; only with zombie cows... you can't go wrong.

3. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    zombieCows on march

;-)

Paladin vs zombieCow
    [​IMG]

4. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    looks really great! What is this game about? To find exit within an ammount of moves (meat)? I will definitely buy it if it will have endless mode :)

5. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    #25 Pixeye, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

Yes, it will;-) Well, right now i removed meat to look how game changes...because i really dont see need in food resource ( in the mid of the game you'll have plenty of food and wont even bother )

Instead I'll make some dungeon cells unbreakable until you wont get a special pick to break out them.

The main goal right now is to survive 100 randomly generated levels. Each 10 levels there'll be a sort of a boss mob. ( You'll get achievements for killing bosses ). This mode itself kinda "story mode ".

I also planning to make endless mode with one life for game center scoring. So people will compete in how "deep" they can get in the dungeon without being killed.

To change level you need to find exit cell, but you dont have to end level if you dont want to. You can explore until you think it's time to go on. Some dungeons will have "floors" - I did not want to make moving camera and make a huuuge dungeon. Instead I've split dungeon in floors.

After each level you have a chance to meet karavan where you can sell your loot and buy something for your journey. The deeper you get in dungeon the less chance to meet karavan. Your inventory consist of active things to use ( scrolls, potions and so on ) and loot bag. You can upgrade loot bag to get even more treasures in it. (Loot will be sold automatically when you reach karavan ).

There will be also sort of portals that teleport you to little rooms full of mobs or treasures.

There will be no leveling..in standart way. Each game character has passive skills and can collect new armor set. When he collect all pieces of his set he change his costume and his passive skills efficiency increases.This is how level ups occurs.

6. GR3NADE

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Thank you for quick answer.

Just one word. Wow. Everything sounds perfectly. How long were you developing this game? Can you reveal the price for us? Will there be updates in future with more content, for example new characters or game modes?
    Few ideas:
    *puzzle - finish dungeon under X turns (like your meat system but you won't find anything that adds turns)
    *challenge - kill huge enemy, there are swords for +attack and something that drains you attack down - that "something" could be time)
    *some sort of multiplayer - arena battle - bomberman style with epic final fight when players meets, placing collected bonus monsters into cells as traps, who dies earlier loses or making own dungeons (& sharing it with others)
    *Climb that tower - you have one life and you will want to find ladder to get to the highest floor of the infinite tower with increasing difficulty (great for leaderboards because of simple number that you have to beat to become NO1)
    *Time trial - You have o find exit as soon as possible because the more moves you take, the more difficult the game will be (as puzzle mode but with increasing difficulty and shorter)

I don't want to know release date - it will be released when it will be ready and I know you said 2 months in this thread and by the way: I can test it for you if needed once beta is out.

PS: Subscribed to this threat because it looks really promising. I like how small game studios keeps contact with their players :)

7. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer

About price. I designed game both free-to-play and premium but last decision will make later cause I dont really know. I wont say that it's an easy task for us but in some ways I dont want to have publisher. I'm not greedy person and I like to play and honestly I HATE FREE-TO-PLAY cause in my humble opinion it's ruins game when developer thinks about how to make people pay, not how to make game better. But as I dont have any funding for marketing I see that free-to-play can get me more players.

If so I'll sell content packs. For example egypt pack. You'll get new dungeon view with few new mobs ( mummy for example ) - and I'll try to make balance in the way you wont have to pay a lot for leisure.
    You'll also be able to unlock new characters, we plan to add more of them.

If it is a premium game than price would be about ~1.99$.

Yes, we wont speak about release date right now but we do our best;-) What I know for sure that there will be little open beta via web (game developed multiplatform so there will be versions for PC, mac and web ) in september and of course close beta for ios right before release.

About your ideas;-) Thx and there are much to think about, but as we dont have a lot of resources and people (there are 2 of us + composer ) to make everything in first release, especially multiplayer. Better to do less and polished then a lot with bugs and glitches. If the game be popular I will make huge updates of course.

Right now I'm polishing GUI (WIP)
    [​IMG]

You've got active "action bar" for your consumables. Action bar is limited with 6 cells. At the very beginning you able to use only one ( you need to upgrade your inventory to get more place ), Most classes have 5 cells max, dwarf can use 6 cells in his inventory ( he is a strong guy ), and mage only 4 cells ( she is weak and cant take a lot of things;-)))

There will be no potions instead you can "refine" useless consumables in hearts (hp), swords (attack), food ( if it be in the final version ) or something else depending on the consumable value.

Also there is an abstract "loot bag" that you also can upgrade. The size of loot bag affects on how much loot and treasures you can collect.
    After getting to caravan your hero automatically sells everything in loot bag. The best in selling is joker class. He gains more money than any other hero.

Thats all for now;-) Stay tuned, I hope to add sort of site soon where I'll post videos and open web version of a game.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #28 undeadcow, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    Wow... that was quick. That's nice, but consider how awesome a zombie cow playable character would be. Cool villain, thanks. I'm excited to be able to carve my way through an army of undeadcows!

9. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Ahah;-) Well, I think it's easy to make sort of eastern egg when player suddenly become a mob for period of time) or play as a mob sprite) okay)

10. GR3NADE

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    I'd rather pick it for that price 1.99$.
    You don't really need any marketing because if your game is not good (not in this case), marketing does not help. But if the game is good, no marketing is needed. Players will tell others or even big review sites as Slide2Play, Toucharcade and you can hope to have review from IGN if it is very good. Look at story of iOS game called 10000000. How long were you developing this game? Hard work and time have to be awarded.

11. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Ye...I've heard about 10000000 nice thing;-) ...I've started thinking about concept in May, but first I started to make zeldish styled dungeon crawler with standart mechanics...in the mid of summer I realized that it's kind boring...or too empty and there is no need to make yet another "standart" game, so I made a quick prototype of this idea and find it fresh and more realistic to make, we took all arts in new mechanics cause it fitted well. So we're working on dungelot as it shown about 1.5 months. (with 2 week break for part work )

For the history;-)
    first concept pic

Btw....I dont know but is Dungelot name Ok?;-) Maybe abandoned heroes?;-)

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    $1.99 seems a fair price.

I don't like the name Dungelot, it seems too cutesy. Adandoned Heroes is better. Hard call on finding the best name.

13. GR3NADE

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    I don't like "hero" or "dungeon" mentioned in name because it is too much universal. You want to be different. What about Dungeon hero? (just kidding :D)
    Abandoned towers?

14. AyreGuitar

AyreGuitar New Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Indie Game Developer
    West Wales, UK
    Dungelot

Actually, I really like the name Dungelot! Does exactly what it says on the tin - It's a dungeon and there's lots of it!!!
    Looks like lots of fun - I'll have to look out for it during the beta testing
    Good luck!

15. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer

I guess figuring out a name for game is the most difficult part in development;)
    Nah..no towers in games... abandoned keep then, but no..something is missing.

I wont say that I want to be different speaking of naming a product;-) Maybe only if a name both simple to pronounce and original.

The words that a try to mix...
    • hero
    • dungeon
    • abandoned
    • keep
    • cave(?!)
    • forsaken
    • quest
    • king
    • kingdom of Alam...ee something;-)
    • tale
    • story
    • bane
    • treasure
    • loot
    • royal
    • heart
    • journey
    • abyss

16. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The art alone is instabuy for me. Love supporting Indie Devs. 1.99 price tag is right on too. And the 'minesweeperish?' gameplay with a twist of rpg looks amazing! :D

17. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    #37 Pixeye, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Dont mess with potato.

Tnx!;-)

What was done on this weekend's..a new mob - its a standart skeleton, nothing interesting in him BUT, now I can make paladin's passive skill that gives bonus against undead.

Also I've made a little sketch-concept of a POTATO DEMON
    [​IMG]
    One thing. Dont mess with potato. Ever. It can regenerate its health and have enormous hp. Sort of a "shield" class mob.
    I've also finished gui style and programmed action bar so in the next week I'll add consumable stuff to pick.

[​IMG]

Speaking about salvaging..if you've got any useless consumables you may transform them in hp,attack or food. I've mentioned that and now showing on pic how it "works";-)

I've also added "fireball scroll" Can't wait when I'll program this stuff! (Burning down enemies with fireballs)
    [​IMG]

And special loot bag for symbolizing consumable stuff in dungeon. There will be a rule in the game - all loot/crap for sale that you can find placed in chests and all consumables/goodies to use while playing game are placed in bags in dungeon.

[​IMG]

Little offer
    I wont guarantee to implement but if anyone have a vision or an idea or a dream of a perfect monster for a dungeon - feel free to write down, who knows, maybe you'll see your fantasy in this game;-)

18. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    Cool!

I love the art style. I also love rpg's, so I'm looking forward to play this game. Keep the updates coming :D

19. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Looks really fun/unique, and the art is gorgeous. Definitely on my must-buy list!

20. Sheo

Sheo Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Russia
    looks very interesting, your game has a lot of potential :) if there will be leveling system and different skills, your game can be so cool as Dungeon Raid