Universal Dungelot 2 (by Red Winter Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Ahhhhh... sweet success at least for my iPad 2. The last version had tahe res bug in the dungeon that made the dungeon too huge to see anything or play at all... Now it sounds like some of the higher-res devices have a problem.

I don't mind starting from scratch as I had finished it earlier... In fact I'm looking forward to it.

It's sad that this particular game seems to be snakebit as its such a great title. The first one is awesome but this one has a lot more interesting additions and the dragon, when powered up a bit, is a great addition later in the game.

I hope everybody eventually gets a working version as there is really nothing else quite like it in the App Store and you really don't have to pay a dime to finish the content it currently offers ( four dungeons in the last release)

You guys should also try "Dungeony" as its like a bizarre 8 bit version of Dungelot. Pretty cool GFX and you work your way through different levels of random enemies, pick up health, etc... It pretty much follows the Dungelot formula but has a well developed style of its own. Pretty well done.

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I have been a bit bummed by some setbacks, but I can't believe how truly upset people are getting over a GAME that costs nothing to download and if you did spend any IAP, it was probably less than a couple of trips to Starbucks or the dinner that you probably already crapped out.
    Unless you are a developer yourself, I'd not give the guy such a hard time since at least he is doing his best and trying to compensate for it. Before you rant, delete, and one-star it, consider if you were in his shoes AND the fact that we are talking about a game that will eventually reach it's stride. Did people act like this towards NASA when they killed a bunch of astronauts before they got it right?

3. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Yeah it is. I'm not saying don't complain, but you have to admit while browsing this forum that there are some serious first world problems here...

5. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    If the game is free or very cheap then play it for awhile (let awhile equal at least a week) if the game is bugged you can wait for it to get fixed and be stable or you can delete it.

When you have played the game on and off (mostly bug free) and you enjoy it for that length of time then it's probably safe to pay for full version or download xpacs or any small (fairly cheap) in app purchase.

No anger, no flared nostrils. Simple, easy and no bunched pants / panties.

This shaka is for you!

6. mondoz

mondoz Well-Known Member

May 31, 2012
    Since 'his best' doesn't seem to include any testing, I would say that 'his best' isn't very good.

7. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    But why would you even be here in this thread then? I can only assume that at some time.... You actually enjoyed his work.

So why be upset about it? It's now working 100% and he's even managed to improve it with found artifacts that persist between games, unused spells turn into mana, armor, cash or health, etc etc...

Plus I finished it before the iCloud glitch and never spent a dime... I'm gonna buy some runes or something now simply to support the guy for such a polished effort (yeah I know... when it's working). ;-)

8. NeckLicKhia

NeckLicKhia Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Why do you say it's working now?
    Do you have an iPad with Retina? If not, please don't say anything more. Please. Or read at least why we are complaining.

9. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Not upsaet, disappointed becuase, conceptually, the game is brilliant, but no where near as entertaining as the first game and far more frustrating.

10. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    WOW... what a mess is this game

now the resolution is a tiny screen on a Ipad Air..
    and AGAIN... LOST THE @#$#@$#$ progresss

11. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    Heck I'd move on to something else then... personally I find there is a lot more to do in this version. Last one was all monsters and the vampire could easily get to level 90 or so and that really was it... for me anyways. Got tedious after that.

It's kinda humorous really - the last version worked for retina users if they deleted the iCloud saves and now this one works for the older devices.

When it didn't work for me last update I simply mentioned it so the dev would know and then went on to play another dozen different good games. I just don't see the point of endless bitter complaints about a free game.

I'd just forget it for now and it'll be a nice surprise when he -finally- gets it running for everybody.

12. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    This game is lame. The first one was so much better.

Not to upset the dev, but I hope this game fails miserably so he can focus on making a decent game next time around rather than designing a frustrationathon aimed at getting my monies!

13. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    The newest update works again on good old low res devices, like an iPad2 (progress was gone, but at last I can play it again).
    I will think twice, updating this game again, in the future.

14. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Starting from scratch on my iphone 5, so far everything seem smooth.

15. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Please help me guys!
    I received an update for the game on my iPhone few hours ago, but nothing on my iPad. I don't understand.

16. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    How are they trying to take your money? Only thing that you really would need is the golden ham so you can play continuously past a hour.

The runes and carrots are easy enough to get and the levels are easier to get into. You also have artifacts you can collect which on top of the dragon pet and easier beginner levels makes it even more easy to explore deeper in the games depths.

Yeah, this game is a bloodsucker....

17. Lathariel

Lathariel New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    The "zoom effect" was annoying but it was still playable. The latest update that's supposed the "fix the resolution problem" made the game appear as a tiny tiny window (think %20 of the total screen), and now it's completely unplayable. The idea was behind this game was nice, and presentation is ok but I can't be bothered with this nonsense anymore. Uninstalled.

18. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I re-installed the first Dungelot. I think I'm done with this one.

19. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Played a bit more now. I think that as with every iteration of this game, I like the design choices a lot. The reusable artifacts are quite powerful and appropriately hard to get (I have only the first three) plus expensive in terms of wanting runes to be able to use more at once. The combination of needing carrots, gold, and runes, together with the prospect of getting an artifact on a really epic run, makes me want to replay the already cleared dungeons quite a lot.

Only glitch I've encountered so far is that sometimes a square marked as containing treasure actually has nothing under it.

20. Gregcurrie

Gregcurrie New Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Poor development cycle

This game needs a proper development cycle with proper testing before updates are pushed to live. When first installing the game, it worked ok. Then it had a zoom bug occluding part of the game screen. Updating the game lost ALL game data and left the game unplayable due to an even worse display problem. Going back through the App Store reviews and comments shows this has been an on going problem. The developer has obviously put a lot of work into the game, but it is no where near ready to be live on the Apple App Store.