Universal Dungelot 2 (by Red Winter Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Feb 12, 2014.

1. mondoz

mondoz Well-Known Member

May 31, 2012
    What an original insult. Did you come up with that yourself?

2. NLjaan

NLjaan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    You must be great at parties.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    He earned respect with his first excellent game, which is why people who aren't dicks are giving him a chance to remedy the situation. It's a free game, get over it. If you bought IAP and lost them due to data loss, contact the seller, Apple, for a refund.

4. Casmi

Casmi Active Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I have had all my data reset 4 times now as well as lost many runes (good thing I didn't purchase any) also, I found a dragon and leveled it up twice and it is gone. Now the game won't even launch...so sad. The original game was fantastic, this feels like a cash grab.

5. NLjaan

NLjaan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    How is it a cash grab when the game is free? The iAP is optional.

You never had a coffee that tasted like shit? Well guess what, that coffee will always taste like shit until you get a new one. This game however will get updated and fixed so if you guys would just have a little patience, things will surely get sorted out.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed, and guess what I have thrown away Starbucks coffee before for not tasting right. I bought the golden ham for this game on launch and have gotten more than enough entertainment out of it for that to be justified! ;)

7. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    I don't see how this can be a cash grab... The game is free and it is very easy to get runes. The game was made easier on the first couple of levels. We now get some value out of unused spells. Artifacts have been added to further increase chance of success (when you get them)

The only issue I ever had with this game is the updates come out too fast for them to be properly bug free. When I mean bugs I mean big glaring bugs because guess what? I don't know any game that has been released that is bug free. If there is more time spent squashing them and testing the games stability after all the additions and changes I think this game will be awesome.

Every new addition put in this game has really improved it. Just squash those gargantuan bugs!

8. Xeno

Xeno Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I recently downloaded this game as a fresh iPad Mini Retina owner. Shame it doesn't work because it was a lot of fun.
    However instead of crying over it I actually bought the first Dungelot. The gameplay is so strangely addicting. :D

9. NeckLicKhia

NeckLicKhia Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Yeah, you know what? I downed the game 3 days before the 'update' and bought the golden ham.
    Fine that you had enough entertainment, but please understand: I didn't!

10. mondoz

mondoz Well-Known Member

May 31, 2012
    He had a chance and blew it.

You can kiss his ass all you want, it doesn't change the fact that he is a poor developer, marketer, tester, and businessman. He has failed on all these counts.

11. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    #1271 Wiarumas, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    All software has bugs but it is NOT okay to release software with sev 1 defects like wiping users' data. Anyone who does any type of serious software work knows never to release if you lose data or if major functionality is broken with no workaround.

I can understand if it's some sort of rare event or conditions that would cause it, but the fact that the update wiped all users data is just poor or nonexistent testing. Either way, not tested or released knowing it would wipe data, are both inexcusable.

Doesn't matter if it's free or not, it's still the worst thing you can do to release broken code. Whether it's a paid game on xbox or a free add on to Mozilla Firefox, it's all held to the same software development standards.

I'm hoping his silence is him fixing the game, recovering some type of backup, and/or working on some type of in game compensation to those affected.

This is not my personal opinion. This is my professional opinion from being in the industry.

12. Agamaphooey

Agamaphooey New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Has there been any word about a fix? I really liked the first game, and because I had just made the mistake of downloading Spirit Stones, I wanted to help the developer out, so I bought a bunch of IAP.

How did this update get released in the first place? I don't want my money back, I knew going in I was buying something from a game I knew was released horribly broken.

An update or ETA for a patch would be nice. The dungelot website hasn't been updated in a while. Is there a place where the dev makes announcements? Twitter seemed pretty cricketty.

13. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    This AFAIK is the only time his update "broke" the game. I would think if you are "in the industry" (which seems dubious) you wouldn't pile on with a smug and obvious comment. I suppose you have never made a mistake... ever?

All this over a free game that frankly was TOO free... You never need to buy anything in this to finish the dungeons.
    The ham refills constantly - if you do -anything- else at all during the day it's more than enough. The only reason people bought it was to support the developer.

At least your comment wasn't just plain nasty like a lot of the others over here... acting this way over a free game is sad.

If anybody did actually buy something and feel ripped off - contact Apple, get your money back and maybe go away if you feel so butthurt.

14. Wiarumas

Feb 17, 2014
    Yes, we make mistakes every release. The point is you test the software, fix all your mistakes, regression test (to make sure things still work after fixes and things are 100%), and then release. Sometimes having UAT, beta testing, iv&v to make sure a third party validates your software before pushing the update. This is how things are done for every respectable software development project from flappy bird to HR systems.

This is not the first time this happened. The game had to be pulled from the App Store for months when it was first released from all the problems. Acts of charity can only carry someone so far. You can only burn your fans so many times. If anybody wants a dungelot 3, he needs to recognize his missteps and take the action to remedy the situation and proactively manage his project so issues of this severity stop getting dumped on the users.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    No it's really not, not at all. Even simple beta testing is restricted tremendously by Apple, leading some of the larger publishers to release some games on a limited basis to only certain markets as a means to "beta test" with a larger group than the handful apple allows. If you think Flappy Bird had UAT, more than a handful of beta testers, or 3rd party validation, you're insane. I definitely think that they rushed this last update out, but for Christ sake people, it's a free damn game. Don't play it. Play it when it's fixed if you want. If you spent on IAP, you are one of the few with a legitimate complaint, which you should take to the appropriate party, Apple, to address.

This is not my personal opinion. This is common freaking sense from being in reality.

16. Wiarumas

Feb 17, 2014
    I didn't say Flappy Bird had UAT. I said all software has regression. Sometimes UAT, beta, IV&V.

Yes, its a free game with purchases optional, but that's not an excuse it shouldn't be properly tested and that its okay to release updates with critical defects. I'm not playing the game obviously, but I also don't see why I have to censor my dissatisfaction just because the game was playable in some form for free.

17. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I went to iCloud >documents & data > turned off iCloud and the game booted up from the beginning and I figured, what the hell, might as well start over until the next update. It's not the end of the world...but I am definitely looking forward to the fix!

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    People are still complaining about Dungelot 2? Hmmm... I guess even epic games from small developers don't get much slack.

19. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    You're absolutely right... following your instructions it should boot right up and if you have a retina device it should play fine. I have an older iPad 2 so it has a scaling bug that happens when you enter a dungeon so I will have to wait on the fix.

Personally I wouldn't have minded playing again from the start as I had finished fully upgrading all the characters and had gone super deep into all four dungeons... more dungeons are supposed to follow. Thet pet dragon packs a heck of a punch when upgraded. That's providing it gets fixed and gains steam again.

It's certainly a unique and addicting experience (and pretty much free as well) so I can't get upset at the guy about it...
    Don't know what is going on at the moment but the guy slaved over it after pulling from the store so I can't see him giving on the game. Maybe personal issues are slowing him down?

20. qiangc12b

qiangc12b Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Patch 1.5 is coming.hope it fix the bugs.