Duke Nukem Forever is finally dead.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Eli, May 7, 2009.

1. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    wow those people actually kept theyre ticket stubs for that long, haha they must have been heart broken lol......and i dont really get it, if you read the article it says that they are still working on the game, theyre publisher just left or something

2. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Why would their publisher leave if the publisher is suing 3D realm for giving up?

3. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Come on, we've all heard the "official-speak". No matter what industry, things are going fine; it's still going; nobody's quitting, blablabla. Just because they say it, doesn't mean they mean it. Blizzard always denied details about their projects, and yet a lot of times it turned out that the general rumor's correct.

They should get sued :p I mean, I'll admit that's the hater/cynic part in me that's saying it, but they were continually inconsistent in their development of the game (at least that's my impression, didn't they scrap and engine or two?), unlike other games which were developed for a long time, but was somewhat consistent (an entire engine's gotta be a big change).

It's still too bad though, I would have liked to see it come out (so I guess I'm not entirely a hater). It would prolly have been epic (the vid they showed was epic).

4. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Sooo... does this mean no iDuke anytime soon? :confused: :D

5. reinhart_menken

May 8, 2009
    I just found out that Duke Nukem Advance is on GBA, so....*cough*

6. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
  7. SSJGohan3972

SSJGohan3972 Member

May 6, 2009
  8. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Crazy stuff. Sounds like the publisher is hoping to triage if possible. Should be good for another decade of rumors.

9. reinhart_menken

May 8, 2009
    #29 reinhart_menken, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    I figured it out, they're playing a very long and patient hype game that'll span across two decades, so that when it does come out the entire world will buy it :p

Anyhow, kidding aside, if what George Broussard said in the press release was true, then it seems that Take-Two tried to low-ball 3D Realms (and then some). 3DR told them that they wouldn't have enough money to keep the dev team without proper funding. Take-Two knew that, so they just decided to wait until 3DR would run out of funds, and then attempted to make 3DR a "deal they can't refuse" (at least they thought), to acquire both the dev team and the IP right at a significantly cheaper price.

Now I'm thinking 3DR should sue back :p There must be a legal term for intentionally driving your target to an economical corner.

10. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
  11. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
  12. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I'm just hoping good gameplay remains! ;)

13. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    It shall never die!

14. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    lolshitfit

15. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  16. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Bit bored of all this crap if I'm honest. Show some good stuff, then I'm down.

17. TheGreemSim

TheGreemSim Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly, believe it when I see it.

18. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    I feel really stupid right now, but what is so great about Duke Nukem?

Started in 1997...i was only 3, so i had never heard of the game.

It must be pretty big if everyone is crying over it...

19. Although the original Duke Nukem 3D was fun and turned the original original 2D platformer into a wise-cracking, risque' FPS that became an instant classic, the nerdgasm over the resurrection of Duke Nukem Forever is more about its ridiculous journey from its beginnings after DN3D was released to 3DRealms constantly switching game engines and rewriting large chunks of it repeatedly and constantly trying to keep hype going and occasionally teasing with screenshots or news or whatever ... only to have the whole thing blow up last year when 3DRealms finally went bust. It became sort of a legend unto itself, a long-standing meme. DNF became the definition of vapourware, but its legend lived on.

So naturally now that it appears to be finally getting a release from a competent company that can get shit done ... well, 13 years of pent-up nerd lust and frustration suddenly and unexpectedly coming to fruition (for real this time) is a lot to unload.

You can see the original DN3D in the App Store if you're curious. It's pretty damn dated by today's standards but it's still fun.