Duke Nukem Forever is finally dead.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Eli, May 7, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58519

I can't believe it. It's finally over. I'm sure we even have some Pocket God fans posting here who weren't even born or were too young to walk when Duke Nukem Forever was announced. For veterans of PC gaming, this is huge news. Duke Nukem Forever went from being the most anticipated title to a cruel joke.

For the history of Duke Nukem Forever, and things that have taken place during its development and have taken less time than its 12 year 9 day unfinished development cycle, check this out: http://duke.a-13.net/

2. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    My life... has no meaning...anymore.

3. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

what a let down, I have been waiting for that game forever. I played every Nukem game and was waiting for this, but now :(

4. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
  5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    and... daaaaaaamnnn :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

6. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Finally no more rumors lol. Team Fortress 2 was in 9 years of development...

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I was not going to buy this game, though I offer my condolences to those of you who had been looking forward to blasting monsters while ogling pixelated naked ladies. It just ain't fair.

8. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    maybe the devs were ogiling over the ultra realism of the naked ladies (full 3D, no less!) so much that it would explain why it never got finished... :p

With each bump in CPU and GPU power comes unpredcendented realism in modelling those strippers.

9. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Power like that can't be wielded lightly. I guess the world is simply not ready for realistic boobage. But, perhaps, in time...

10. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    wait a minute. can't you read? ;)

"In addition, Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever,"

"Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms," a representative for the companies told us. "Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

someone else will make the game instead. duke nukem forever will never be dead.

11. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #11 hkiphone, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    That's funny! Hahaha...
    I had a quick look at that website Hodapp mentioned. Really interesing trivia there like how the Mars rovers were proposed, developed, launched and operated for >2.5yrs in the same timeframe!

3DRealms must have been working on some really awesome curves!!!!

EDIT: I was right. They spent more polygons on the strippers than the rest of the gameworld. Forward the video clip on that site http://duke.a-13.net to 2mins11secs...

12. geelet

geelet Member

Mar 13, 2009
    #12 geelet, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    they really should make a remake for the iphone, make some money and get the product ready after sooo many years.. duke nukem, what a history haha

fo reeeaaaallllll
    but still the "what" duke is able to do is better than most actual games.

13. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Duke Nukem Forever? What vaporware is this?

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Can't you read? The Duke Nukem Trilogy is not the same as Duke Nukem Forever. It doesn't matter if Take Two holds publishing rights if the game never comes out. I'm really doubting Broussard is going to hand over the Duke Nukem Forever project for someone else to finish after having a 12 year ego trip revolving around not releasing anything less than the perfect game.

15. asbjoern

asbjoern Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Part of the Tactile Ent. team
    Copenhagen
    Jihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - this is a must buy for my kids.

Disclaimer: I don't have kids yet - but I guess if I have kids within the next couple of years it will properly be out when they are old enough to play it.

16. adamsm

adamsm Active Member

May 4, 2009
    it's too bad... :/
    Duke Nukem was my favourite game....

17. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Oh well, at least now we won't be kept in the dark about whether or not it was coming out. Now it isn't, at least not the code that they developed, I don't think.

It's so hilariously ironic to have their game's name be Duke Nukem Forever, and the game then taking so very long to develop but never see a release. It's almost poetic.

18. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Wow this is some news... Duke nukem's death is finally confirmed, can't say I'm suprised really... Like most everyone else, I have been waiting on this for 8+ years at least. I thought this and Starcraft would never see the light of day, turns out that Starcraft is coming... and this...? This just makes me depressed... :(

I wanted Duke more then starcraft.... WHY?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the link Hodapp, Great read so far!...

19. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Looks like you can keep Duke down but you can never kill him!....

"Take-Two Sues 3D Realms for Failing to Deliver Duke Nukem Forever"

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58642

FTA - "Update: Documents for the case have appeared online, revealing that, among other things, Take-Two is demanding a copy of the Duke Nukem Forever source code.

Original: Take-Two Interactive, publisher of Duke Nukem Forever, has filed suit against the remains of Apogee Ltd./3D Realms for failing to deliver the long-awaited title."

20. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

haha hell yeah take two, amazing. i hope something comes of this.