Universal Duet Game (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Man this game is good. And hard. Acceptance VI about caused a brainsplosion. 300-some tries later, I got it.
    I think this has to be one of the best in the "twitch game" sub-genre. Very smooth.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I beat Acceptance and then stopped playing. Acceptance VI is where the game crosses the thin line that separates challenge and masochism, and a number of other people have pointed it out as a difficulty spike. For me personally the problem with that level, and invisible levels in general is that Duet is a game about finding rhythm and improving upon it iteration by iteration to reach the end of a level. When obstacles are visible you can refine your rhythm within a run by seeing how many pixels of clearance you had on the last obstacle. If invisible obstacles appear occasionally you can surpass them and then get back into rhythm when you see a visible obstacle, but with something like Acceptance VI where the whole level is invisible obstacles you are committed to a single rhythm which you cannot refine during the run because the information required to do so is withheld by the game. Thus, that kind of level requires a different type of memorization as well as no room for slippage in rhythm.

Again, there is an audience for which that kind of level and game are perfectly suited, but I am not interested in sinking hours into single levels that last only 30-40 seconds. And that is why I have no suggestions on how to change the levels. The game as it exists is perfectly fine for the targeted audience.

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. Haven't reached those levels yet, so I might be sharing the frustration too when I get there.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Most likely. The final two levels are completely invisible and the obstacles are only visible for a much shorter length of time than previously.

Got perfect on the second-to-last level, yet to finish the finale. :(

5. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hey everyone, one of the devs here.

sapphire_neo, I completely understand what you're saying. We had a few internal debates at Kumobius about Acceptance and especially Transcendence. Specifically about the invisibility.

I understand you aren't asking for us to change anything about the game. However, I'm going to discuss the invisibility issue a little bit and an idea we've had on how to mitigate the frustration you've described because we want the game to be the best it can be.

You're right that the invisibility eventually asks the player to keep the rhythm entirely in their head with no chance to recalibrate. We have come up with an idea on how this difficulty could be eased though, and I'd love to hear feedback on the idea before we add it to the game.

Currently in the final stages of the game the waves become invisible as they pass the vertical half way point on the screen. This is very brutal.

The idea is: what if your blood splatters faded slower/less compared to the invisibility transition of the blocks? For example, a block might become completely invisible at half way down the screen, but if there are splatter marks on that block those splatters will still be visible for another 25% of the way down the screen. Or potentially, the splatter mark could not fade at all.

This would mean that these waves stay extremely difficult as they are, but the more times you fail and try again the greater the chance you'll succeed and pass the wave.

I'm genuinely interested in hearing whether people think this is a good addition or not. I don't think it'll completely "ruin" the brutality of the final stages, as a good player could still attempt to win on their first tries.

We really try to make our games fun but when you're so deep in the development of something you can't see the forest from the trees -- especially when it comes to game difficulty.

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    WOW, just beat Acceptance VI, I am blasting with joy over here, good that nobody sees me now, Ha Ha. It took me about 250 or 300 tries but I did it, cool game. I personally would not change anything on your game, but the paint splatter on invincible blocks would be a nice touch, but it's up to you guys.

7. Bronxsta

I think the paint splatters should definitely remain visible. I mean, that's been the main mechanic that teaches the player throughout the game. To remove that, along with the ability to see blocks, does seem unfair. I had been under the impression that the paint splatters remained, but now that I know this, that seems extremely unfair, even in the context of a tough game like this

So yeah, please let paint splatters remain visible.

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    What I believe he is saying is that the paint splatters will remain visible as it is. But right now, the paints platter disappears when the invisible block disappears. So you can't see the block or splatter. However, in a future update, it could be that the block still disappears normally, but the splatter remains on the screen for an extra length of time. You can't see the block, but you'll see the paint splatter moving down. And that would help people with the really difficult parts.

I think that would be a great idea to help folks out. Could maybe make it an option, and/or have different leaderboards?

While I have found the invisible blocks to be tough, I haven't found them to be frustratingly so. In an earlier comment I called them pure evil. But I also think they are pure genius. :)

I still think Acceptance VI is the hardest level of all (not counting Transcendence II).

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm glad to hear that you're interested in making things more accessible to players with less skill/patience, and the solution sounds like it could work without making the game easier for score chasers. It would cheapen the Acceptance and Transcendence achievements though. I'm not going to say whether you actually need to do this or not, but it's very nice to hear that you do have keeping the game fun for players as a goal in mind.

10. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would be for having splatter remain visible or tween to transparent slower. Or tie the tween rate to the amount of player deaths. That would be a neat touch.

That being said, I personally found the Acceptance stage a ferocious challenge, and appreciated it as is. But I wouldn't mind the paint trick.

Thanks for your game and continued support.

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I was so close to beating Transcendance ii )':

12. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Congrats with your SILVER AWARD from POCKET-GAMER.

13. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, finally passed Transcendence II!! In the end it wasn't too bad, but maybe that's because I've played the game so much now. :) I noticed that the patterns for Transcendence I and II changed every time I started anew. So maybe I got an "easier" pattern to play.

I don't fully understand the scoring myself, but it appears that your score decreases each finesse level you pass. I've completed all of the levels for a total finesse score of 705 which put me at 10th place on the leaderboard. No idea how to improve on that. I don't believe getting a perfect decreases it any further.

Kumobius, congrats on a fantastic game! I haven't played a game this much in a long time -- and I should be doing my own development instead. :) Though I'm sad to see that the game hasn't gotten a whole lot of recognition and/or featuring by Apple.

14. You lucky dude...

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Finesse is the total amount of moves you've done to complete a level. Getting a perfect DOES decrease it.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This is a stupidly brilliant game, and I hate to admit that I might actually like it more than...Bean's Quest. I know, blasphemy! Actually took an exception to my "Only buy Android games for a while" rule...and now I need this thing on my phone too!

17. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    OK, that is what I thought might be the case, but I swear I checked my score before getting a perfect, and I didn't see it change. I'll try it out again.

18. Bronxsta

And a 4.5 from Gamezebo

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It might have changed by as little as 1, which is harder to notice. I didn't realize straight away either.

20. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, that was probably the case. I just got 4 more perfects, and it decreased my score by 4 to 701. Thanks for pointing that out.