Universal Duet Game (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Why are these games so addicting man

2. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

You are very welcome. Thank you for leaving a review.

This is one of the devs here guys! Thanks for all the positive feedback. Connector you seem to be in love with the game, cheers!

Excellent question! It's one of the major "replay value" elements of the game. Every stage can be completed in an optimal/minimum number of touches (our bean's quest fans will find this familiar...)

This indicator only appears if you replay a stage, a green triangle will float in top left with a number. Every time you touch the screen the number counts down. If you go into negative you lost your chance at perfection and the triangle goes red.

Try completing the first few stages with this in mind and you'll understand. This part of the game gets brutal quickly though, so I recommend completing the campaign at least once before attempting it.

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Cool, definitely adds replay value. And thanks for making such an awesome game. First Denial was kicking my ass and now I'm working my way through Bargaining. It's really something how each stage takes such a simple mechanic in a new direction.

And I love that there's an actual campaign and it's just not an endless mode. All the praise is well deserved

4. Hey welcome, you made a great game, give yourselves a pat on the back. Know it is tough for good Indie games to get love nowadays, but it's gems like this that are refreshing in the ios market.

Congrats!

5. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Just wait until acceptance. Pure evil!

6. And Transcendence II is a mixture of every evil villain to have ever existed

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I was really enjoying this, right up until the Acceptance levels. I managed to get through them but now I doubt I'll ever play the campaign again. I do enjoy the Endless mode, so that might get me to play the game every now and then but those last few levels have left a very bitter taste.

8. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm not sure I'm looking forward to Transcendence after these last couple of comments. I thought Acceptance VI was the end of me, but I finally passed it. On VIII at the moment.

9. Those levels...boy do I hate them

Transcendence 1 was actually pretty easy for me...somehow

10. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I just finished Acceptance. Man, those were rough. Tried Transcendence I, and the start of it doesn't seem too bad, but I can't get the right timing down. Way too late for me! I think I will dream of rotating dots all night. :)

Great game! I don't know how much more time I'll put into it, but it has been damn fun!

11. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    What I really like about this game is the SCORE-HEALTH mechanic on the endless mode, you have 3 hearts, but your not dead with 3 hits, because your heart meter refills the further you go in endless mode, you now can take up to 10 hits or more if your good at it, never seen this in an IOS game, I think it's new. I also want to congrats the DEV. with this game.

12. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Ok.
    I generally like these kind of games, but...
    I did not like Super Hexagon. I found it to be very frustrating, and more laborious than enjoyable.

Here's my question: watching the gameplay video in the OP, is that a good representation of the difficulty of the game?

13. Bronxsta

#73 Bronxsta, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    While Duet is in the same spectrum of games as SH, it's very different. SH was very twitchy and about pushing your reactions to the limit

On the other hand, Duet is (so far) slow paced and more puzzle like. Levels aren't randomized so you're able to learn the patterns and actually feel a sense of progression. The game has a nice difficulty curve and each stage throws something new your way.

And I'd say the trailer is good representation of the game has to offer. Keep in mind that since the levels aren't random, you can learn from your mistakes (which are also visually represented by paint splotches) and improve

14. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think you will find Duet much more enjoyable than super hexagon. I do not like superhexagon ( because I find it frustrating and to difficult) duet on the other hand is a very enjoyable experience for me.. It has a nice learning curve , and you can make progress just before it becomes frustrating.

15. Bronxsta

Made it to Guilt. There's something so satisfying about this game, even more than Boson, SH, Impossible Road. How fluidly your spheres move, the graceful dance-like evasion between and around obstacles, the little narrative blurbs that hint at what's ahead, the contrast between your colorful failures and the white obstacles...it all just makes Duet feel even more special than those other games

One of the best IOS purchases I've ever made

16. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #76 Lazer Kat, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    Installing Now.
    Impressions to come.

Initial impressions after ~ 10 minutes with the game:

- I just made it past "Denial"
    - learning curve my a**. This game gets tough quick, but its a good tough.
    - it's a much better game, or so it seems so far, than all of the others it's being compared to

After ~ 30 minutes with the game

- It's very difficult already, but it isn't frustrating like SH was for me. This makes me want to try one more time, and as others have noted, the paint splatters and level system allow you to learn from your mistakes.
    - Super Hexagon made me want to throw my iPad out of a moving vehicle, where this makes me want to lock myself in a room with it and geek out for hours.

Thanks guys, loving it so far. Will update Impressions after a few hours with it.

- in a strange way it reminds me of playing Super Mario Bros as a child. It's the type game to where you always know what you need to do to get to the end, but actually doing it is the problem. You'll constantly find yourself replaying the same level over and over, each time getting just one little step further, until you finally get to the "flagpole".

17. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm glad you mentioned the words "dance-like," it feels that way to me too.

18. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Yeah. Especially since I find myself moving to the beat, which actually seems to help in most situations.

19. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    A slo-mo easy mode, please? :eek:
    to give me and thousands of other players and our three dollars a chance of finishing the game any way we can - the slow way :D

20. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am not getting Acceptance VI, well I let the game rest for a week and try next sunday again or else I am becoming FLIPPER.