Universal Duet Game (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Oct 10, 2013.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    That's what makes it so great :)

Finished the first set and died a few times but so far I love it. Controls are fluid and you keep wanting one last try. Love the paint splat marks as it allows you to see where you are going wrong. The narration snippets add a nice touch too. Can't wait to see what the further levels bring.

2. I'm on the fourth set now, and what is nice is that the levels change so much in strategy and backgrounds. Starts to make one think too after awhile to figure out the best ways to get through a level.

Very highly recommended!

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Why? Not in 3D, or on a sinking ship, or terribly written? Explain yourself, James Cameron!!

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

From Kumobius, the developers behind Time Surfer and Bean's Quest, comes Duet. It's a simple name that mirrors its minimalist aesthetic and challenging co-dependent gameplay.

Across nine stages (each separated into a number of waves) as well as an endless mode, you control a pair of spheres, one blue, one red, forever linked. Holding the sides of the screen rotates the duo clockwise or counter-clockwise around the circumference of their circle, allowing you to dodge the increasingly difficult waves of obstacles. Duet is not as twitchy as a game like Super Hexagon and feels more like a fast paced puzzle game as you learn the correct pattern to avoid each obstacle.

Duet's minimal style works extremely well. The contrast between your spheres and the environment means you're always aware of your position and each failure leaves colored splat where you hit. Not only does this is visually cool, it's a reminder of how and where you made a mistake, helping you improve. The game even has a slight Thomas Was Alone vibe, thanks to the lines of dialogue that appears on the screen that provide Duet with a slight narrative thread

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #25 nightc1, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    Gameplay reminds me a lot of Pivvot... except lower end graphics (as noted), gameplay and music/audio-effects. Since I own Pivvot and finished most of it, I don't think I'll bother with this one right yet. But it looks like a good game if you want more of this kind of gameplay, are new to it, or just found Pivvot a bit too intense.

6. This is MUCH better than Pivvot. Maybe better than Super Hexagon.

The screenshots don't do it justice cause the backgrounds are dynamic.

Very pretty on my retina ipad 3.

7. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    He'll be back. This game is fantastic. Reminds me of Infinite - which was pretty damn fluid too.

8. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    If you enjoyed Pivvot, I recommend getting Duet too. I have enjoyed this just as much if not more.

9. Bronxsta

+1

Surprised me at how I prefer this over Pivvot. I think the more puzzle-like tone and little narrative snippets add a lot of character.

10. This is way better than Pivvot. Much more creative, addictive, and fun.

Edit: played pivvot for the first time with wifi on, there are ads?

11. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #31 nightc1, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    I watched Sanuku's video. I've seen the little geometric background patterns move and change. What makes this better than Pivvot?

EDIT:

That makes sense. I think I'm still going to pass though simply because Pivvot was more than enough for me in this subgenre of puzzle games. Maybe I'll pick it up later... but it just looks like it would be a lot less intense than Pivvot.

12. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I agree.

Even though they are similar there are enough differences to keep me interested in both games.

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    WOW, this game is thrilling, it's just as thrilling as BOBBING.

14. Exact opposite. It is much more thrilling cause you have to think like a puzzle game.

Get it at some point, you will like it.

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    How can it be more thrilling when everything comes from the same direction? I'm not saying Pivvot was the best game ever, but it really kept me on the edge of my seat trying to remember the patterns of upcoming pieces while also not knowing which side of the line they would be in or how I'd have to adapt to make it through. How far did you get in Pivvot? Did you unlock all the modes?

Whatever the case, I probably will like Duet Game. Just not really in the mood for this kind of game so soon after playing Pivvot.

16. Bronxsta

Oh cool, didn't realize you could play this landscape and portrait.

17. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #37 saosijs, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    I saw Sanuku's video and I was so playing along with him, immediately understanding what you need to do. I think I was twisting my head in the correct directions just watching it. Such simple and elegant game concept and implementation, I had to play it myself! And boy ... do I suck at it :rolleyes: My reflexes are just wrong! My inner clock is counter. Maybe an update with an option to invert left and right could be my savior? Am I simply too square to think like a circle?

Anyways ... the game is brilliant. It's just me who isn't at playing it :D And oh, few games have music that I like and that I feel support the game and for an extended time, but this is definitely one of these few games.

[edit] and my iPad got 2 mm thinner where my thumbs go by just playing the first ten phases or so :D

18. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I went through all of the stages of Pivvot. I would agree Duet feels more thrilling in the sense I more often experienced something unexpected. It is even more unexpected when I somehow survive the unexpected. You look back and think, how did I just do that? It is due to the elegant way that the patterns build upon each other. It is a great feeling.

When you are ready to try another game like this, try this one. :)

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It's all fun and games until someone throws a whole wave of invisible blocks at you...

20. Does the paint still stick?