Universal Duet Game (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#321 Anotherkellydown, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    I somehow totally missed Carter's article spotlighting your time challenge yesterday, Andy. I did watch the video on your channel before that and was reminded how great Duet really is. Gonna dig this up, blow off the dust, and see if I can finish up some more of the main game. As for the time challenge (Ha!), don't see myself ever beating 10 minutes. What an achievement!

2. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    It's like watching an automaton play through the game. I was equally fascinated and appalled at my lack of ability to play the speed run anywhere close to that. What got me the most is seeing so few paint splats. What?!?

3. awprince

awprince Member

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    #323 awprince, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Have to admit that Duet has a "Matrix" like appeal to many of us. There are so many different components to the game, including the maze-based Story, Epilogue and Encore modes, daily and nightly challenges, and the incredibly stressful Story, Epilogue and Encore Endless modes - which are truly Endless by the way (was told that you'd have to play 48 million years to get to the end).

If you dig a bit deeper into Duet you'll also find the perfection aspect of Story, Epilogue and Encore. Most users do not understand that it's not really simply a matter of passing each maze, Kumobius is challenging you to perfect them. How? Try opening Story and looking for any green tabs in the right corner of any single level. If you have one, then you perfected that run. If you haven't perfected them, you'll see nothing. Perfection is based on the number that shows at the beginning of the run. For instance, on Ignorance V of Story, it'll show a 5 when you begin. You have 5 moves (or less) to earn perfection.

That's just one of the deeper elements of Duet.

The leaderboards are certainly a favorite of mine. Andy and I have messaged via Twitter about that a bit, and I do happen to hold all three Endless mode world records, including the 2.1 Million score in Story. That was a pretty epic run, taking over 52 hours to notch (calculated with the help of Kumobius). It's a record that I doubt will ever fall considering that 100k has yet to be surpassed.

Here's a video of that work; http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpTP602IjY

Nevertheless, it's really great to see Andy generate some more interest in Duet. The speed runs are a ton of fun, and really fun to watch on video.

4. Anotherkellydown

#324 Anotherkellydown, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    I came really close to beating the 10 minute speed run challenge today. I've only attempted it twice but there's quite a difference in the two times. I think I can do this!

Attached Files:

5. Anotherkellydown

This was my other attempt from a few days ago!

Attached Files:

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oh yeah, I've been playing this again! Forgot which account I had it under, so I bought it again and got straight into the speedrun. 9:37 atm, totally coming for you, Andy! :p

There's only a couple of levels that screw me up - one at the end of Anger (ironically enough), one in Guilt and one in Hope. For some reason when I get to them, my brain just goes LKRDOGMJRTMLWE and I rotate in the wrong direction. Happens every time. Other than those three, I think I could pull off an endless run. As long as the Anger doesn't get to me. :cool:

@Anotherkellydown That's quite an improvement there, well done!

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #327 Echoseven, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  8. Anotherkellydown

#328 Anotherkellydown, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Nice job, Echoseven! Today I finished the next time challenge after story (can't remember what it's called), not even going to mention the time =)

Time to have another go at story mode!

I'm also playing the daily and nightly challenges. Going for the 100 in a row achievement. Yikes! 6 dailies and 7 nightly challenges so far.

9. awprince

awprince Member

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    The Speed Runs remind me of Speed Skating with the way the clock works.

Story Speed Run: 7:14:56 (one mistake)
    Epilogue Speed Run: 6:02:05 (one mistake)
    Encore Speed Run: 3:18:85 (perfect)

I just got the Encore one perfected yesterday, and while waiting for the fireworks, I was able to push the Encore Endless record up past 155K. AWP

10. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    2,000,000 plus on endless? Really?

11. awprince

awprince Member

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    Indeed. I consider it my top gaming achievement----even above my Doodle Jump all time record of 24 Million----due to the length of time surviving (52+ hours), plus the amount of decisions a player has to make every half second. Again, here's the video I put together recording every 100k or so.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpTP602IjY

My top score prior to that 2.1 Mill run was 473,303, so my goal was really 1 Mill. And right after I reached 1 Mill, I nearly died. I'll attach a pic of that. Duet really forces you to play under so much duress in the way you lose lives, as when you get under one heart you know that just one more mistake and it's over. Games that are all about total perfection, like Super Hex, don't make a player deal with that kind of pressure.

Attached Files:

12. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Wait, so you just pause the game and leave it like that in the background the whole time?

13. awprince

awprince Member

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    #333 awprince, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Well, you won't get anywhere if you leave the game paused "the whole time"; you have to advance. But if I want an in game photo, I definitely pause after a sequence has ended. It's at the top right.

My marathon gaming style for Duet is based on 10k to 20k per session, and then I pause and refocus. If you are hinting that a player can pause Duet in game, millisecond by milisecond to advance, it would be impossible. Everything moves way to quickly. The 52+ hours of play in my record game took me close to 2 months to play.

14. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    No I mean, between each session. Like, you play for 2 hours, then you pause it and let the game run on background for I dunno, a few days, then you open it and resume the game? I'm surprised the game doesn't reset itself to refresh ram.

15. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Your head and shoulders better than anybody else.. Duet has a heck of a lot of players.. Fishy man but if your legit than more power to you..

16. awprince

awprince Member

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    I worried about reset a lot when the game came out, because it did reset a few times. But that was really when I played on my iPhone. When I started marathon playing Duet's Endless Mode, I used my iTouch. So yes, the game never reset on me.

About 3 weeks ago, Kumobius changed the configuration of Duet during an update. Now, it never forgets where you were in an Endless mode. So let's say you are at 8,000 in Epilogue, and then the device - your phone for instance - crashes, the next time you open the app it'll remember you were 8,000. Auto-memory.

It's definitely a great feature.

JCho133 likes this.
  17. awprince

awprince Member

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    #337 awprince, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Well, I don't like any fishy feelings. LOL. I'm legit. Thanks for the compliment. I think the real key on the original endless mode is perfecting the invisibility sequence. You must be able to navigate those repetitively, and also perfect the spinners after a reverse short-throw. Once you can pass those consistently, you can score extremely high on the game.

Hacking is something that clearly does happen, and frankly, it's something I deal with a lot. Duet and Doodlejump are often hacked, which means my top score is essentially just passed over. But there's two reasons why I like those games;

1. Lima Sky has always done an amazing job of resetting the boards and eliminating their hackers. It might take a couple weeks, but Igor stays on top of it routinely. I noticed earlier today someone hacked the game, but that's happened 300 times over the past 4 years. Kumobius has shown the same support for Duet. IMHO few companies take care of their games like that.

2. Beyond a company taking care of their games, I'm also looking for a game that plays in a marathon style, has a strong level of difficulty, is visibly powerful and fun to play, and whether it's myself starting a game or anyone else starting the game, it's fair. That's the best way to compete. It's not like football where a dude who is 6'8, 330 lbs and can naturally move like a ballerina has a distinct advantage on the gridiron. If your 5-8, 150 or whatever, you don't have a shot in hell at that job. So it's nice when a game throws all that out and simply tests out your ability to last the longest.

For the purposes of proof, Here's an article by my favorite gaming writer about my first iOS gaming record;

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/from-doodle-chump-to-doodle-king-how-one-man-shattered-a-gaming-world-record/

JCho133 likes this.
  18. zzymyn

zzymyn Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Programmer
    Melbourne, AU
    Can you believe that Duet is nearly 10 years old?!

To celebrate, we're working on a new game mode called 'Soliloquy' and we're looking for anyone interested in play testing it before we launch it later this year.

These are the questions we're trying to answer with this test:
    • Are the new chapters fun?
    • While the gameplay of the new chapters is different from the original, does it still feel like "Duet"?
    • How is the difficulty curve? Are there any difficulty spikes? Are there any levels that are too easy?
    • How long does it take to beat the new chapters?
    • If you had paid for these new chapters, do you think you would have been happy with your purchase?
    Important notes before participating in the test:
    • We will be using TestFlight and the game will run on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.
    • We're mainly focussed on the gameplay for this test; the story is still placeholder and will change in the final release.
    • You don't need to have played Duet before, but if so please play the main story mode first before trying the Soliloquy chapters.
    • Progress will be saved between the beta version and the final version.
    If this sounds interesting to anyone, you can sign up using this form: https://forms.gle/78Qoaw1YwjQywJHC8

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi, not meaning to hijack the thread or your search for beta testers, but I've been wondering for years what happened to the Bean's Quest games? I've reached out to all the people I've had contact with at Kumobius over the years and never heard anything.

20. zzymyn

zzymyn Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Programmer
    Melbourne, AU
    Hey Jared, regarding Bean's Quest and Bean Dreams, there were a few factors involved. A major part of the decision to discontinue support for them is that BQ, being our first game, was built on an older version of our engine (and BD was derived from BQ) and some parts of the older engine needed a fair bit of work to stay up to date but the ongoing sales of those games couldn't justify that work.

I sometimes think about seeing if I can fix them up and get them compiling and running again, or even combining them together into some sort of "All Stars"-style game. Perhaps one day!