iPad Duckhunt Taken off the Store

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeiledGames, Jan 30, 2009.

1. VeiledGames

VeiledGames Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Minneapolis, MN
    It looks like LawlMart Duckhunt port has been taken off the App Store. Some may not view this as a positive, but I think this is a real right step by Apple.

IGN asked this about the game, "Who is minding the store?" and I'm glad to see this question was finally addressed. Just, funny that it took getting into the top 15 apps before Apple took action.

As long as LawlMart could continue to make bank off of Nintendo's trademark, the integrity of developer's copyright remained in question for us. If someone as big as Nintendo couldn't even get this game off the store, what would stop someone from releasing iFieldRunners for 99 cents, with the same graphics, and a hacked together interface? But, looks like Apple is minding the store after-all, I'll be it a little late to catch up

2. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    while I beleive that this is a good move, I thought Duck HUnt was a very good game

3. VeiledGames

VeiledGames Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Someone could make the best damn Super Mario world port, but that doesn't make iMario Mobile Pro any more right or legal

4. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    A step in the right direction.

Glad I picked it up when it was first released. ^ ^

5. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I think you misunderstood me. I do not support these practices this at all. It's almost as bad as cracking apps

6. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

Omg get a life.. Sorry for being harsh but its the dev's wrongdoing, not ours

7. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY
    Not sure why the hostility... Did you read what the post was about?

8. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

#9 Mahaa93, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    Is it wrong to buy a game for the sake of nostalgia? We, the gamers who actually BUY apps, are not doing anything wrong, even if it buying a game off the app store that has been approved without sufficient permission. It's all the dev's blame, not ours. I really could care less where the money goes. WE didn't do anything wrong. So he has no reason, unless its a personal dilemma, to believe it is wrong to buy the game............................................ This does not mean I support devs who create these cheap knockoffs of real companies.

9. MetaNick

MetaNick Well-Known Member

I find it ironic that the "targetted" Google ad for this thread is for a website that specializes in Flash knock-offs of Nintendo games. :p

But yes, I've been hoping and praying that someone would pull the game. It may have been that Apple was just waiting for Nintendo to say something. After all, it's not actually Apple's responsibility to verify or enforce copyrights on games. If the company being violated (Nintendo in this case) doesn't say anything, Apple shouldn't have to pull it. So maybe Nintendo simply hadn't sent Apple a notice to pull the game. *shrug*

10. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Also glad this got pulled off. However, I don't think Apple just noticed it and game to their senses. Much more likely is that the actual developer got a Cease and Desist from the original copyright holder threatening them with a major lawsuit if they don't pull it off.

This has happened a few times before. Remember iBoggle and iYahtzee? Also got pulled off when they reached the top 100 and, I'm assuming, the copyright owners noticed. Then there's the interesting case of iChuck, the Chuck Norris joke generator. When that hit the top 100, the dev actually got contacted with a C&D from Chuck's people. He talks about it here. I think Apple is also starting to see a pattern, and they later rejected an app making fun of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

So basically, I think that Apple is minding the store, just not really for copyright infringements. They protect their own copyright, since they'll reject anything that uses their trademarks or images, but I think they assume that it's up to the copyright holders to protect *their* IP in turn.

11. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    What a fun and faithful port. Of course I am not surprised it was removed from the store. I'm just glad I didn't miss this one.

12. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    If it makes you feel better I will get the cracked version of this app so that I am screwing over the developer that is screwing over Nintendo. That will even out the Karma train.

13. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    It's about time. Can't wait to see those hacks of developers hand over all their revenue to Nintendo plus costs and damages. Knowingly infringing a copyright is serious business.

Theft is theft!

Thx,
    HHG

14. mr_mini

mr_mini Member

Jan 23, 2009
    #15 mr_mini, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    I have been reading all these posts and I'm a little surprised at the hypocrisy here. Most people seem to have no issues downloading and playing the game, but then go and beat the drum about copyright infringement !

What's more, is that I can bet, that given the choice, they would download Duck Hunt all over again. It is these sales that is thriving the game, so I wonder how can people vocally oppose the idea, and practically supports it ??

Secondly, I fail to see why everyone is bent upon "teaching dev the lesson" ?? I can guarantee that the dev probably worked a gazillion hours to make that port. He did not steal any codes, and no one gave him a premade section of the code. I agree that the original idea was from Nintendo, which probably worked with 10-20 developers and produced what this single dev did on a much restricted platform, I fail to see why that means any dishonest work ? Was the original code written in Obj-C ? No. Did he steal the code ? No. Did he steal the idea? Yes.

Who is to say, that all those people developing Chess, Checkers, Match 3, style games are not stealing someone's copyright !

15. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    a copyright on chess?? match 3 and checkers???? :rolleyes:

16. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Or IMO, when are the creators of Scorched Earth going to get their cut of that iShoot money?

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I told you so...

I knew this would get pulled the minute it came out, Glad I got my copy, although I am a little dissapointed, I was hoping for an update with sound...:(

18. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    I think that there was an update with sound.

19. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    He stole the art, music n sfx from the game. He stole the art from the box. He initially was stupid enough to even put (c) Nintendo on it when it first appeared.

His theft gave his product an unfair advantage against everyone who was following the law.

I'm waiting for home run derby to change the product name. Yes folks... That's owned by MLB. Just like we own TouchSpors and will defend it's use.

Thx!
    HHG