iPad DS Effects

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lw1234, Oct 4, 2008.

1. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Oh my god, this is the worst developer known to man. I have never, EVER seen more shoddy shovelware than what this developer is pushing

Infiltrator, Dragon Fury, Some awful fighting game, Virtual (every kind of animal ever).

It pisses me off how much crap makes it into the app store. It's like spam. Most of this stuff is set at .99 to 2.99, it takes no effort and the developer can make a quick buck off some unsuspecting buyer. No investment, no updates ever, and onto the next game.

I've never bought one of the games, but I've seen them in action, and they are just terrible

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
  3. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Yep DS Effects is just clogging the App Store Review process with their shitty games. They're the worst offender in the appstore next to Shekhar Yadav.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This brings up a good point: I wish the AppStore allowed you to "filter" the content. So I could put DS Effects into the blocked list and then never see anything by them ever again. Of course they'll never do that, but perhaps some of the sites such as this one, AppShopper, etc, could add that feature.

5. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I actually tried some of those "games" on the Web Apps page. The controls are terrible and all their little animals are worse than the old tamogotchee(?) pets.

6. kadjisan

kadjisan Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    *shutters* These games are just terrible. Apple should raise there standards and actually play the games/apps before releasing them on the App Store. It would be interesting to have a rule where your app must be approved by the testers and rate a minimum of 2.5 out of 5 before its released.

Then again, there is a reason why this site exists. :D

7. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Chalk up two more DS Effects crapware games in the App Store: Olympic Sports and Virtual Chick. There must be 30 of these games on here. These are seriously the ugliest games I've ever seen. Ugh.

They must be stopped.

8. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    As much as I hate those games, putting the fate of a valid app that didn't break any rules on the hands of an appstore tester will be just as bad because reviews are subjective.

9. kadjisan

kadjisan Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Plural. More than one tester.

It can be rated based on the following:

Playability: How buggy or polished the gameplay is.
    Graphics: Quality of Graphics
    Audio: Quality of Audio
    and other stuff.

By making the ratings based on multiple testers, things will become less subjective. Like reading a bunch of reviews of a game from various magazines and sites. Once an average is found.

10. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    the bugginess is the most important of all of those... although i agree that apps that look this ugly do not make me want to buy

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    While I agree with everyone in regards to the quality of these apps, Apple will NEVER remove them.

The apps don't break any rules... And who knows? Maybe one of those stupid little Virtual _____ apps pleases someone's 5 year old out there.

Plus, Apple still makes a little money off of it, not to mention the initial money it makes from the developer when they bought the SDK.

So basically, I think Apple would be overstepping some sort of boundary by initiating some sort of quality control for them... It'll just be up to us to look out for crap like this and just hope they give up making these apps (or CRAPPS)

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    While I agree that Apple shouldn't make judgements when the apps are legitimate, in this case I think the developer is going on the principle that no matter how bad the app is, some small percentage of people are going to buy them, perhaps even accidentally. In that situation the only way to make money is to make lots and lots and lots of applications, and that is exactly what they are doing. It's a bit like spam email. I think Apple should put the hammer down on these folks, because they are making the store worse and people are ending up buying applications that were never intended to work properly or be any good. Apple reserves the right to remove any app for any reason. They've used that poorly in the past. Here's a case where they could do something good with it.

13. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Back when there was no SDK, and only web games were available DS effects had all of these games up on their site to play for free. Other than Thundercloud games (which are far superior) they were really the only web games that attempted to be video games at all. And they were free, so how could you complain. Now that they're all on the App Store, the web versions are gone. I really thought that once this company made the move to native titles that we'd see some improvement. The games on the store are exactly the same as their web titles. They just cost $ now. I can see that they maybe thought that their success with web games meant that they would be accepted in the store. But they made no adjustment for the superior standards of native apps. Now even if they do make better games down the road, nobody will ever buy them. I hope.

And yes, my 4 year old was quite displeased to see all of his virtual pets disappear, so I had to buy him the d@#n panda.

Anybody heard anything about Thundercloud making any of their titles native? They wouldn't have to do much to improve them- Ninja Ropes, Gravity Swarm (I think it was called) are titles already well worth $1-3. I'd love to be able to play them off-line.

14. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Well at least DS Effects junk works... How long has Mobile Chat been for sale and completely unfunctional? That's pretty ridiculous.