iPad Dropship and Dr.Awesome $0.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skathir, Dec 15, 2008.

1. skathir

skathir Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Just noticed that ngmoco is having a special promotion to celebrate Rolando's imminent release.
    And Topple is free.

2. Deadlock

Deadlock Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Good find. Will have to pick them I up I suppose now.

3. alextangweihao

alextangweihao Active Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Student
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #3 alextangweihao, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
    Cool

4. risc1

risc1 Active Member

Nov 17, 2008
    This sucks! I bought the games as soon as they came out to support ng:moco and this is what happens. Thanks alot!

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    You're kidding right? all of ngmoco's games are extremely well done and worth more than they are asking for.

A sale is just extra fan service.

6. Deadlock

Dec 2, 2008
    It's only a $1.

7. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Yes its only a dollar or whatever currency you shop in .... but the fact is that waiting less than a week saves you 50%

Early buyers of these games are getting punished almost ... i have now close to 120 apps in my itunes ... it starts to add up when a £2 or £4 app comes down to £1 or 59p

I think its almost undermining my wish to buy these "hot" apps on day 1.

8. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    are you serious?! If you bought these games to "support" the developer then you shouldn't mind paying the normal price for them. Come on, it's not like we're talking a lot of money here!

9. Deadlock

Dec 2, 2008
    Then wait to buy games when and if they go on sale. No one makes you buy games when they are first released.

10. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Is dr.awesome worth it? Is it replayable?

11. risc1

risc1 Active Member

Nov 17, 2008
    yes, i am serious. but you're missing the point, aren't you? what i'm saying is, early purchasers such as myself end up getting the losing end of the deal all of a sudden. i don't care about the dollar amount, that's irrelevant to me - i'm talking the principle here.

i agree that the games are well made and in fact, i would have been willing to pay even more for them had they been priced differently. the point is that, people that buy the games when they come out at normal prices are now suddenly getting the short end of the stick with sudden price drops.

the effect is going to be that no one will buy games as soon as they come out since they're waiting it out. long-term, devs are going to be "forced" to price drop since that's what everyone expects and only a handful of people will by from the onset.

like i said, i don't care about the dollar amount, it just bug me that those that really do want to support the devs suddenly end up with the lesser deal. i spend 50 to 75 dollars a week on average for apps and game and i spend more on weeks where lots of good games are released. but i'm not going to buy right away anymore, there's no point any longer as far as i'm concerned.

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    #12 VeganTnT, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
    +1

If you want lower prices then wait like everyone else. Use AppSniper. Or show a little restraint

Telling devs you are being punished because they LOWER their prices is ludicrous

This isn't the same thing as physical media. With physical media a dev has to add boxing, shipping etc to the cost of the development. Sometimes they lower prices in order to recoup some of that cost.

In the case of apps the dev can set a price and leave it like that forever. Having people question them for lowering their prices is just incentive for them to keep their prices permanent. They are already making LESS MONEY per sale of their app, then you want to give them grief for it?

FYI: I have over 400+ apps. In the end you learn something... The AppStore fluctuates constantly, if you aren't used to prices dropping to increase sales then you probably shouldn't be buying anything

13. synagence

Dec 4, 2008
    I understand the point, and i do fully accept that, like most things, titles will fall in price over time .... but there is a trend starting to gather momentum which sees games getting reduced in price by a large % within a very short space of time....

If these discounts were 4 or 5 weeks post-release thats one thing ... but come on, drop-ship has been out 6 days!

14. risc1

risc1 Active Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Yep, agree with you totally!

15. risc1

risc1 Active Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I never did say that they should never lower their prices but to do so just days after makes initial buyers feel suckered and it also ends up giving "bonuses" to people that weren't willing to support on the get-go instead of the ones who were in full support.

"If you want lower prices then wait like everyone else"
    You're clearly one of the ones that wait. And well, that's your option and I respect that. Except that, you yourself says that "everyone else is waiting" and that's precisely the reason why prices drop a mere couple of days after release.

People that want to buy the good games at standard price to help boost the devs and the overall iPhone gaming network, are now feeling tired of doing that and then just getting the short end of the stick just a couple of days later.

You're right on one thing though - I will now be "like everyone else" and will wait for price drops.

16. Deadlock

Dec 2, 2008

Just picked it up and playing it now.. Only played like ten minutes so far and it seems fun but couldn't tell you about the replay value.

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Now you're just twisting words. When ANYTHING new is released there are people who buy it outright and people who wait. It's a fact of life. When I say everyone it should be apparent that I'm not talking about 100% of the free world. You said you are going to wait. So that means you are grouped in with all the other waiters. Therefore you wait like everyone else, you wait with the waiters.

If you don't like supporting devs and feel slighted then stop whining and show the devs how you feel with your WALLET. Oh wait, You holding back and waiting for a price drop... FORCES devs to do a price drop to make sales!

And to clarify, no, I don't wait. I like many of the other regulars here spend my hard earned money buying games the minute I see them released so I can review it and maybe share some insight with another poster who needs to make every purchase count.

If you are saying you don't enjoy a game... well then I can see a point. You're really wishing you could recoup a little of the money you spent on a bad purchase... but even then it comes down to you and I. We fork over the money and sometimes we get burned by bad games. It happens.

If you buy a game and truly enjoy it... then what does the price matter?

The bottom line is that you are enjoying something. To say "Boy, I'm really enjoying Dropship... I spend 3 hours a day on it... but if only I had spent one less dollar on it..." is a silly argument to make.

18. risc1

risc1 Active Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Still not getting the point, are you? I don't care if Dropship was a dollar or 3 or 5...what bothers me is that the prices of games go down just days after release thus making it disadvantageous for those that bought the games out right.

19. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Have these been in place where you live? I'm in aus and they aren't on sale yet. How long will this sale last also

20. synagence

Dec 4, 2008
    And its a self-perpetuating problem .... the more they heavily discount shortly after release the more we'll hang on until they do .....

Again, for me the difference between 59p and £1.19 is neither here nor there ... what if NFS or SimCity come out at $9.99/£4.99 and then after a couple of days they have a "special" for $2.99/£1.99

When does the amount become significant..... i just don't like feeling gouged.

I personally accept that after even 2 or 3 weeks in the AppStore that the price could drop by a good chunk ... but i'm highlighting a trend which seems to be getting more popular and can actually only hurt the dev's

Any game over about £2.99 i will now be giving serious consideration to before getting on day 1