Universal Drive on Moscow - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks!!!
    I have yet to get the game (at work now)...I'll surely get it later and accept!!!

Hi EMOS!!!
    Looking forward to play with you too!!!
    (Meanwhile please destroy Cudgel of Xanathor in BotB :p)

But...but....have you already jumped in the multiplayer?
    I wanted to get my teeth on the campaign (I understood it has a longer than BotB solo campaign now, but maybe I'm wrong) first!!!!
    Well....I'll go play blind....we will see :)

Can't wait!!!!

2. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    that's a bit mean! ;)

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well deserved.

;)

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    From what happened with Bulge when it went Universal and the ever decreasing circle of space on my device.

5. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    I guess I will let Brad answer this question. What is the device that you use to run the game btw?

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey, what in this gorram world stops you from playing offline and online at the same time? (Truth is, I have yet to play off-line)

If you find me "offensive" (sorry pun intended), feel free to send me a game and let me do the d-fense...

SP, long time no see. Care for a game? Feel free to create one and send it in. I am very "war-like" these days...

7. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    #47 Emos, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Well I can say in our current BotB game scary got just a tad over aggressive and I was able to encircle Piper's elite spearhead and two other panzer divisions in Wanze and reduced them all into scrap metal. I felt like Hannibel at Cannae! :D Great game though he really had me on the ropes until the trap was sprung.

I hope to dive into DoM this evening (work and all that) and start playing you other jokers ;) Im still open for BotB too, I took a bit of a hiatus but I'm rediscovering the joy of the game again.

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    So...my quick and dirty impressions after playing 1 hour (the initial recommended scenario).

GET IT.

More elaborate.
    I'm honest...I was fearing DoM could lose the freshness, the speed and the elegance of Battle of the Bulge (which I still love and I will forever love) providing a 'larger scope' but if you felt like me...put your fears to the rest.
    It is still 'fast', intense, manageable, accessible...and yeah...GORGEOUS experience with some small (and not so small) modifications and added things that keep the game still fresh.
    On the contrary...seems to me that there is MUCH more movement around...tons of cut off opportunities to jump in, plus the tide seems tu turn every impulse or so.
    Technically...it is a Shenandoah product...so we are looking at the top excellence once again.
    The map, the details, the history tidbits, the real footage movies, the ABSOLUTELY STUNNING SOUND experience and the unparalleled UI are all there.
    Regarding the UI, all the iPhone BotB version improvements are here too (I wish BotB iPad will get them too someday).
    Overall it's amazing, and I can only imagine the full campaign excitement.

ONE BIG PROBLEM AND REQUEST.

Dear Shenandoah....please hurry up with the Universal version....

I must take my turns even at work.

I *MUST*.

(Regarding the iPhone version...HUGE thanks to the devs...I never thought possible to play Battle of the Bulge other than the iPad but they managed to do the impossibile...the iPhone version is SUBLIME and got me back to the game after, like Emos said, a long pause).
    BotB (and I assume DoW) is the PERFECT async game (fast, accessible, you can see everything at a glance, you can have easily multiple games going on, etc...) and the iPhone is the PERFECT async device.

That said, again, I *MUST* play DoW on iPhone too.
    I *M U S T*.

9. BradTSS

BradTSS Active Member

Jul 2, 2013
    It will increase, but certainly not double. We are working to reuse as many of the same assets as possible.

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #50 iPadisGreat, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    I have the retina iPad Mini and wish I had gone with the iAir. The screen is too small for me to type accurately with two hands and it still feels too heavy for me.

I think the iPad Air would be a good choice if you do a lot of two handed typing (like on a keyboard) like me. Otherwise, the rMini is cheaper for the same thing.

I am happy with my 5C as I only use it for Facebook, Candy Crush Saga, IM, E-mails, calendar and to-do list. Your mileage may vary if you use your cell phone for other stuff.

That is a very different report from what Mene said about iOS 7 and his iPad 2. Which is more accurate?

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Same for me.

To be honest, I have never been such a fan of these kind of games, but Bulge changed everything.

Their engine is fantastic....I can only imagine what they could do with other scenarios (I LOVE the scenario approach).

Naval warfare?
    U-Boats near London?
    V2?
    Pearl Harbour?

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I recently bought an iPad Air and I'm in LOVE with the device.
    It's a great step up from previous models, especially for the form factor and lightness.

I can safely say playing Drive on Moscow is GREAT on it :p

13. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    What a beautiful polished game again.Well worth the asking price!I was a little confused about the map orientation first (with"east"and not"north"on top of the screen)but it makes sense as it is and doesn't take long to get used to.

14. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Yeah, feel free to add me. I have BotB, but I never really played it since it got lost in the GTA:VC/Baldur's Gate shuffle last year. This holiday season doesn't seem as crazy so I should have more time to play DoM.

So don't expect me to any good. I'm more used to grand strategy games like Paradox's Victoria 2, Europa Universalis IV, and Crusader Kings 2 which deal with combat on a much larger scale than this. So we'll see how this one goes...

15. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    I still wish they would do the WWI Battle of the Marne, but I think Shenandoah has already said they won't. I do get why, their game mechanics rely on a battle involving offensive and counter-offensives and plenty of movement.

Strangely enough, the one game I've played that's kinda like this on the PC involved the Seven Years' War in Europe (concurrent with the French and Indian War here in the US) called Rise of Prussia. True it had more mechanics involving supply and command, but it was still an interesting conflict to war game that might work here.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Off-topic: I am still having 4 online BoB games and all of them are good so that I am really having fun (of figuring out really hard on how to beat every single gorram one of them)

17. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Love the game, so much more maneuvering and the full chat makes it a much more social game. Feel free to add me, Bloodmeridian99 on GC.

And as for ios 7, I have it on ipad 3, and I am not sure it improved the responsiveness from the previous ios but it definitely hasn't made it slower. Just my 2 cents.

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Good news, with Bulge increasing by more than double I'm a bit cautious, will that see a revisit to do the same and lessen the impact from going Universal?

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Last night (for the utter enjoyment of my wfe :p) I completed the first two short scenarios against Zukhov and started some multiplayer games.

UTTER FANTASTIC.

Different enough from Bulge to keep me playing in the Ardenness nonetheless, but absolutely fantastic.
    Scenarios are fast and furious, different between each other enough to be fresh.
    I love that, no matter what, you always seems to breakthrough Moscow and then you are drove back a bit next impulse.
    The scattered and diverse VP spots are a fantastic addition...give you so many different paths to victory (both defending and attacking) and the vastness of the frozen plains gives you plenty of movements to try to plan a strategy and have it completed somewhat in a relative short timespan (something that was a bit more limited in Bulge, which poses other fantastic as well challenges).

I confess I really got lost in the frozen plains near Moscow last night...all those sounds, the blowing wind, the firearms, the cavalry...and then....the grand final music...4 hours passed by without noticing.

Cant wait to start the full blown campaign.

Another fantastic release, congrats to the devs.

20. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    #60 vogelmann, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    I just won my first full campaign game against Zhukov. I was able the capture Moscow during the frost phase with my panzer spearhead. Just epic! But unfortunately the AI made some strange mistakes, so the victory was not quite as great as it could have been. Anyways, it was fun.

Have you seen the replay function, where you can watch every turn of the whole game? So awesome! Fantastic game!