Drifter by Celsius Game Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CGSColin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. swimmingcub

swimmingcub Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    How is the ios version of this game coming along?

2. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    This looks soo good.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I guess not too well... :(

4. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    why do you say that

5. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I posted this nearly a year ago:

And if you check the thread and news updates since the very beginning, you'll see the Steam version is still in beta, that version is priority and it's been a few years since we first heard about Drifter.

6. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

there's a post from the developer on 08-08-2014, 12:45 AM.. go back a page.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, the game runs well on a 5s without many optimizations and the iOS version is kept up to date with the Steam version, but that doesn't mean that the release is anywhere soon. Having followed this game since the very first news more than three years ago, and reading that it was expected for late 2012, then for late 2013 and after the release date was just unannounced, you'll understand that my motivation towards seeing this game released is close to zero. Why not release now and update it?

8. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I guess we have differing opinions about what the phrase "coming along" means then.

It's still in development with steady progress being made. I'd say that's by and by the definition of "coming along"...

Your wording somewhat implies the project has been cancelled.

Why not release now and update it? They want to release on iOS as version 1.0. Not version 0.6.0. If it's not ready it's not ready.

9. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Hey!

I'm still alive and we're definitely still working on the game.

Not to be a broken record but I do feel awful about the fact that the game has taken far longer than I had hoped to complete but rest assured I have no intention on giving up on it and we are definitely getting closer to a 1.0 release.

The reason I've stopped talking about timelines is mostly because it's very hard trying to figure out when something as big as Drifter will be done, especially never having done anything quite like it before. Every release date is basically nothing more than an educated guess.

Drifter means a lot to me, it's basically my dream game project for lack of a better term, and it's something I want to get right. Perhaps in retrospect it was a bit too ambitious a project to have undertaken given how long I figured it would take to complete, but I'm still going to finish the game, difficulties be damned.

That said, once we release the next big Early Access update on PC in the next few weeks I'm going to take a good look at what needs to be done to get to where I'm happy calling the game 1.0 and finally released on iOS and hopefully I might be a bit more comfortable talking about timelines again.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @cplr: I know that it's ready when it's ready. It's just that 4 years (and what's still remaining) is a lot of time in iOS deelopment. Throughout these years and since the project began, I've had an iPhone 4, a 4S which is nearing its final months and an iPad 3. By the time the game gets released, I wonder what device I'll have and if I have an Apple device or I have to go onto something cheaper.

@CGSColin: I know you're working on it and it's a huge project and your dream game. It looked so when it was first announced. I really hope it goes smooth towards a 1.0 release. I'll continue watching this space and believe me, there's no other game which I'm waiting for the most than this one. It's my dream game too (play-wise).

11. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Take your time. I want a game that's the way the designer wanted it to be, not a rushed product to be updated in perpetuitiy. Patience really is a virtue in game design

12. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Well I prefer to wait more to have a great game than getting something totally unfinished now which will kill the joy, so take your time and release it when you feel it's polished enough, I am sure a lot of people will love it, good luck!

13. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    I dunno. I've been waiting for this on IOS for so long and I'm still so excited by its pending release that I'm starting to err from "bah! a few more days/weeks/months won't hurt! Let this incredible project come out as intended" to more towards "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH just release it bugs and all so I can dive in and explore the galaxy - crashes be damned!"

Just sayin'.

:)

14. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Oh ya. This game exists. Sooo 2011....

15. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Yeah I hear ya. We're definitely getting closer to a point where I could convince myself to do something like this, but not quite yet.

It totally exists and is playable right now even. Just not on iOS yet :(

16. MasterEx

MasterEx Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Hope to see it on iOS soon the waiting game gets nerve wrecking at some point but u want to a bring the best experience possible to iOS so i get that so keep the good work up and well just try to give a somewhat time frame for is it if u can

17. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    You guys should really use the links the devs leave behind sometimes. Check out the website and steam account. It's still in beta phase for pc/Mac, so until that's ironed out, don't expect a release on iOS. That being said, what he's trying to accomplish with a small dev team is pretty impressive and it is a real game, if it's successful enough will see a port eventually.

18. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Assuming that we're actually getting closer to, rather than farther away from, finishing up the core game (and subsequently the long-awaited iOS release that the legends speak of) I figure I should start posting more frequently here about what we're working on.

Currently we're working on releasing version 0.6.0 of Drifter to Early Access on PC and along with that we're introducing a bunch of new ships and the first batch of space station interiors.

Here are the ships:

Aspis - Mining Ship

[​IMG]

The Aspis is a ship designed specifically for high output mining operations. The ship is built to mount a number of mining lasers and it has a special mining computer that is designed to augment its mining lasers to minimize waste and maximize mining yields. Due to it’s mining-oriented design it is not equipped for combat or long range cargo hauling.

Boreas - Heavy Cargo Hauler

[​IMG]

The Boreas is a ship designed to haul a lot of cargo, but unlike the Percheron it can actually hold its own whether it needs to fight or flee from trouble. It has powerful engines that allow it to move quickly while in-system and enough armor and shielding that it can take a fairly decent pounding.

Hermes - Fast Cargo Runner

[​IMG]

The Hermes is an incredibly popular third-party modification of the Boreas. Generally popular with the sort of people who need to move certain types of cargo quickly, with no questions asked. While it only has half the cargo capacity of the Boreas it more than makes up for it with its high speed and enhanced handling over the Boreas it was built from.

Cerberus - Twin Engine Courier

[​IMG]

The Cerberus is designed primarily as a high-speed courier transport. It doesn’t have the largest hold but it is designed to keep what precious cargo it can carry safe and secure. It has excellent speed, handling and acceleration and despite its relatively light armor it has fairly robust sheilds and enough hard points to turn it into a fearsome combat ship.

Orthrus - Single Engine Courier

[​IMG]

The Orthrus is basically a budget-conscious version of the Cerberus. It’s not quite as good but it is “good enough” for Drifters who need what the Cerberus offers but can’t afford one. It is also unsurprisingly popular with the larger courier agencies and governments for lower priority jobs.

---

And here is a Work In Progress render of the Pilot Quarters:

[​IMG]
    (Click for a slightly larger version)

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, those all look fantastic!

Thanks for the status update Colin

20. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Agreed, these look really good. I've got my eyes on the Hermes, it's just more fun to smuggle.