Drifter by Celsius Game Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CGSColin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    awesome video. awesome gameplay. awesome music. awesome news. GOTY for me.

2. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    looks awesome so far, can't wait! :)

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Now that Rogue Star has appeared in the App Store, I can wait for Drifter.

4. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    Nah. I looked to Rogue Star to fill the anticipatory gap left by Drifter but it just isn't pushing my buttons. I'm still waiting for Drifter.

5. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Hey again!

I just wanted to let you know that we've never forgotten about iOS and Drifter is still making its way towards the finish line. In fact, we've just started a little thing we're calling "The Year of Drifter". Basically, we feel like the end, while still a ways off, is within sight so we're going to try to push really hard for the rest of the year to get the game done and celebrate the development along the way. I still can't say for sure when it'll be done but we're closing in!

If you want to read more about what's going on you can check out the announcement on the Steam community over here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/259450/announcements/detail/83663820327280870

Also, I realize this is an iOS gaming site but if folks want to get in on the PC/Mac/Linux Early Access thing we're having a little sale until tomorrow: http://store.steampowered.com/app/259450

6. dalglir

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    This is wonderful news. Please keep updating this thread :)

7. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    More updates! We just launched 0.6.2 last weekend and are continuing work towards 0.7.0 and still aiming to get to 1.0 or as close as we can by the end of the year.

Also we're working on a new development plan where we release smaller updates on a more regular schedule while still working on the bigger stuff on a slightly longer update frequency. I'm hoping it helps keep up the momentum as we slog through the stuff that needs doing by the end.

Anyway, if you wanted to read more about the update, you can check the post out over here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/259450/announcements/detail/83669525089577134

8. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    So hoping this game gets a nice polish and hits iOS, even in its current form on early access, seems like a great setup!

9. dalglir

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    Not a lot left of 'the year of Drifter'. I enjoy the cat photos on the CGS Twitter feed as much as the next person but an iOS release this side of Christmas would be phenomenal. Optimistic but not hopeful.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Too optimistic IMO. You remind me of myself 2 years ago... :p

11. dalglir

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    I don't dare ask what happened two years ago!

Miracles happen. It is Christmas, after all (well, almost) However, you may take some comfort in noting that my optimism is not inexhaustible: I've now more or less given up on the last successfully funded Kickstarter that I backed.

::harrumph::

12. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    For what it's worth (which may not be much depending on how you feel at this point!) the Year of Drifter was an exercise to try and give me something to aim towards and to give me momentum because otherwise it would have led to further and even longer delays. I wasn't confident we were going to get it done in that timeframe but I knew that we'd be close.

The core game is solid and there's just a few systems missing that I really want to have in the game before I call it 1.0, and then there's polishing everything up before we're done. We've already been doing mid-stream polishing of what's already in the game, and things are coming along, but the end is near for sure.

Not to make excuses but Drifter has been a very large undertaking and it's been hard to maintain momentum over such a long development time and I do apologize for how long it has taken. All I can say is what I've been saying all along: I fully intend to finish Drifter :)

13. dalglir

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    For what it's worth, I fully intend to drop money on Drifter the moment it appears in the AppStore ;)

Drifter certainly looks like a tremendous undertaking, especially for such a very small dev team. Heck, it took me days to write a simple, working Pebble App and that was less than 200 lines of code! I can't imagine how much code has gone into Drifter. I appreciate the due diligence being given to Drifter and the expectation check. Doesn't help my sense of anticipation though ;)

14. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I appreciate the understanding!

Seeing as you asked, sort of, (I swear I'm not trying to show off!) Drifter broke 100,000 lines of code in the last couple of months :)

15. dalglir

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    I have to say, given how complex the various systems, models, etc look, 100,000 lines of code sounds reasonably lean and tidy. Wouldn't like to troubleshoot that volume though.

Have you considered using Mimic (https://github.com/reinderien/mimic/blob/master/README.md) on 'slow' days. Y'know: just for a bit of fun :D

16. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    haha holy crap that's hilariously evil

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    My main concern with Drifter is the minimum device/iOS specs by the time it's launched. When it was announced (or a few months later, can't remember well), I was sure it'd work on my devices (4S and iPad 3). Now, my devices are still those, but they are obsolete, along with iOS 7.1.2, which is obsolete too. Seeing how the iOS environment changes, how iOS 8 introduced cool features for devs to put in games, etc., I'm not sure at all about it working on my devices when it's launched.

18. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Good news! I'm still attempting to target the 4S and iPad 2 level hardware and as low an iOS version as I can manage :)

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Sounds great, thanks! :)

20. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Could be good, waiting on its release!