iPhone Dribbles - Jounce's spiritual successor

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MWMitman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. MWMitman

MWMitman Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Like everyone else, I got the "hurry up if you want to be a release game" email a few days ago, and somehow, ended up with a bit of free time this past weekend. End result? I've started on an iPad specific overhaul of my previous game, Jounce. Hopefully (with a bit of luck) I'll have it ready to submit within the next couple days.

One of the main failings with Jounce I think, was appealing to people browsing the app store at a glance. I liked the look, and it fit the game once you played a bit, but it just didn't grab your eye quickly enough. So I'm completely redoing all the art in a much brighter, and hopefully more attractive, style.

The gameplay will be mostly the same as Jounce with some additions. For those that didn't play Jounce, balls fell from above, and you placed bouncers to, well, bounce them down to the goal, with their score value being set by the number of times you managed to bounce them around without colliding with the walls before they reached the goal. It seemed to sit kinda between puzzle game and music app.

The two main gameplay additions are:
    • Dribbles will become more explosive the more they bounce around, so you'll be able to blow chunks out of the walls and clear a path if you want to sacrifice some dribbles.
    • Three ways to place bouncers: the original tap and drag bouncer, circular bouncers, and line bouncers drawn between two fingers.

Enough rambling, picture time :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Looks nice. How much will it be?

3. MWMitman

Aug 20, 2009
    I've not settled on a definite price yet, but I'm leaning towards either $1.99 or possibly $2.99.

4. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Are you considering releasing this on the iPod touch/iPhone as well? That would be amazing!

5. MWMitman

Aug 20, 2009
    First release will be iPad only, since I'm trying to get it done by the 27th deadline. After that, I'll probably look into doing a version for iPhone as well, especially if it sells well on iPad.

6. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Great because I loved Jounce and this one looks even better. I really like the bright art style.

7. MWMitman

Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks, thats the type of response I'm hoping to get with it :)

For the background, I'm going to try something perhaps a bit subtle. I made a night version of it yesterday, and I'm going to try fading between the two based upon the player's system clock.

[​IMG]

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Cool, it's like an iPad sized version of Jounce mixed with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Makes me wish I had an iPad. :(

9. MWMitman

Aug 20, 2009
    Other than a brief nap last night, I've not slept in 3-4 days now due to working on this nonstop (literally), but it appears things are all finally ready to submit. Hopefully I've not missed anything too glaring in my sleep deprived state.

I'd planned on sleeping to celebrate, but it appears I've come out of the other side of being tired, feel wide awake once more...

10. MWMitman

Aug 20, 2009
    So, I had missed one thing, didn't have the icon setup quite right. But we got that fixed, improved some other stuff in the meantime, and Dribbles is now approved :)

11. Eastbound

Eastbound Well-Known Member

I love the art style! I just wish I had been part of the first wave to pre-order iPad!

12. MWMitman

Aug 20, 2009
  13. MWMitman

Aug 20, 2009