Universal Dresden Files Co-op Card Game (by Hidden Achievement LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Jan 7, 2018.

1. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    You play all three players. I've only tried solitaire in this and the game has a severe balance problem. It is completely unwinnable on "easy." Seriously, I just reached 0-40 for my record. I don't know why I'm still trying, but I really like the books/show...

2. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia

Here is short tutorial

3. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Here are 4 images of my win statistics: https://imgur.com/a/4A28t
    I always played on easy.
    Every second/third game was won.

4. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    How!?!

5. Hidden Achievement

Hidden Achievement New Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Game Developer
    Austin, Texas
    You should have access to all 5 base characters (Harry Dresden, Karrin Murphy, Michael Carpenter, Susan Rodriguez, and Billy & Georgia) without any expansions - the same as the tabletop game and the version on Steam.

6. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I Got A TIE!!!

Yes! I finally managed to get a tie 2-2 on "easy." Ok, I know a tie is still a loss in this stupid game, but hey, I still know I got a tie. Maybe one day, after about a hundred games, and a with huge amount of luck, I might actually WIN one!

7. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I played at least 10 games on the Steam version and lost every time (Easy mode). Picked up the mobile version and won three of four games, beating three different books. Even won one without need of the Showdown. The game definitely takes solid planning and setting up each characters cards/Stunts to greatest effect.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #28 LordGek, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    That's it. I think more than anything else, this is a very tight resource management game. Especially when playing solo, once your initial 3 character hands are dealt, other than a tiny bit of randomness from a few die rolls and even fewer card draws, you can totally plot out your whole game plan from the first character's turn.

Also worth noting is there is no way you'll solve all the cases and kill all of the baddies in a given scenario, so at the very least try to prioritize which few cases and monsters you think you can safely clear.

9. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I do that, but once you reach the Showdown, it's all luck from there. In the one game where I got a tie, I managed to get to the showdown with one case solved, two monsters left, and eight fate. I had two cases that only needed two more clues each to clear, so I spent four fates and cleared one, the other four fates, but didn't clear the second. Not sure what else I could have done. That marked the third time ever that I cleared anything in the Showdown. If you could start the game with about 5-10 more Fate, it would be doable. Unfortunately, they didn't test the balance of the game enough. Any game like this on "easy" should be winnable about 50% of the time. Then, if you want more challenge, they could have a "difficult" level matching the current "easy" level. This is the same problem that plagued Xenoshyft.

10. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Wel, I'm sad to see this game go, but I see no point in continuing to play it until the developers do a little more testing for balance. The game is unwinnable in its current form. It is really a shame since there is so much potential there, but just a little testing would have reveleled the insufficient Fate problem. I'd even pay for an IAP for "Winnable Game" at this point, but otherwise, it's getting deleted. Sad.

11. StratAll

StratAll Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I managed a win in the Steam version, but the other games (about 10-15) ended in a loss or a draw (which is a loss, I know).

This issue could be easily resolved by adding a 'campaign' of sorts to the game where you get to play all the books in a row and where a fixed (or one of a set of fixed) gameboard and player hand is presented. Bonus points if they present it in an 'Easy, Medium, Hard' setup.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sorry, but I have issues with your arrogance.

Yes, this is a tough game, to be sure, but it is a direct port of a physical card game hundreds have loved.

It isn't that the game is "broken", it's that YOU are having a tough time with it.

13. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Look in the App Store reviews. Any game that is Unwinnable on “easy” is unacceptable. Some basic testing would show that the balance is atrocious. It could be simply reemidied, and for a physical game, that’s user fixable (just set the game with 17 Fate, for example). In a digital game, only the developer can fix that.

If you enjoy an impossible game, then that option is already there. The “normal” and “wizard” settings are already there. All I’m asking for is a winnable “easy” level. Until then, I’ve deleted the game, but I am sad to see a game with such potential ruined.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, fair enough.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #35 LordGek, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    UPDATE: Nevermind, all is good now!

This latest update adds a lot of interesting stuff, but until a hotfix drops, I get stuck at any "Tap to Continue" prompt.

16. GoneFishin

GoneFishin Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    “Tap to continue” fix is now available for download in the App Store.