dream:scape - made with UnrealEngine [Releasing on 9/June]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewolf16, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby Murray

Ruby Murray Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    New York
    Like the look of this game. Has a somewhat Shadow of Destiny PS2 feel to it which is no bad thing. I really enjoyed that game and am looking forward to this.

2. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It sounds like projection, PS.

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Maybe you float around? It is a dream after all.

4. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    If the game lives up to expectations and the hype surrounding it, then I think it will easily be worth £1.79, let alone the introductory price of just 59p. I'm definitely getting this one.

5. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
  6. natejeevas

natejeevas Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Student
    Not USA
    wow. :0
    That's quite a lot of soccer fields.

7. jgynwa11

jgynwa11 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Full-time iPhone Gamer
    30 acres? Awesome. Getting this game even though there's no combat. Looks like a mystery game that I may like.

8. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    From @TouchAholics twitter:

@Belteshazzare I am the only press with a preview version at this moment.

It is ~307MB. RE: @joeljayjulian: How big is the file size?

It's a 'dreamscape' game - you explore an environment whilst unlocking memories along the way. A story unfolds. RE: @PerfectCircle82

[​IMG]

For those asking, 'Dream:scape' will release whenever Apple approves it. RE: @Songbirdeeee

It isn't point-and-click. The controls and UI are the same as in 'Epic Citadel'. RE: @Songbirdeeee @au87

:cool:

9. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    Traditionally, I found the Unreal engine to run circles around comparable contemporaries, back in the day. I had an old Win98 rig that stuttered and hiccuped for most 3D games, but ran Unreal like butter, while looking every bit as good, (or better) graphically.

I think Aralon was WAY over-hyped. It looks no better than this, and ran pretty humbly on an iPad 1stGen. I think this looks better.

10. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    It is quite possible for Crescent Moon Games to switch from the Unity engine to the Unreal Engine for Aralon. Which would be awesome. What would make it awesomer is if they released an Aralon Collectors editon that had revamped graphics and that ran on the Unreal engine.

11. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Aralon was WAY over hyped?

You can't be serious..... It's legit, one of the best games on the App Store. One of the best.

Extremely long, great RPG elements, one of the best graphics, and excellent controls.

What don't you like about it?

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    lol - you guys. come on. I'm just impressed this dude made this all by himself. Can't wait to play it.

13. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Hey you can do it!

14. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    A) I think it's a stuttering mess in towns (64GB iPad 1 w/ 15 free GB and a fresh boot)
    B) I think the combat was dull and the enemy AI, stupid.
    C) I think the 1st person mode is a disgrace, and the 3rd person mode a rigid laugh.

I can name a dozen better titles.

15. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    If the developer is reading this thread - any idea when the game is going to be approved and launch? Looking forward to this hugely.

And was Alan Wake any inspiration for the game - and is it right that only one person made this? The artwork looks gorgeous from the trailer...

16. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Off-topic I think? Let's stick with the threads subject shall we?

And anyway you're wrong IMHO ;)

17. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    It is off-topic, but I was asked a question.

Also, how can I be "wrong" about stuttering performance? This is an iPad. Not a custom configuration....

18. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Think as you wish.

I disagree whole-heartedly with your assertions...however, if you want any game to run flawlessly - upgrade to iPad 2 like I did. Sold my gen 1 (launch day unit, loved it dearly), the Sunday prior to March 2 keynote and made back most of the upgrade costs. (hint: Buybackworld offered far more than Gazelle, like 76$ more - no, I'm not a company shill either)

I don't think Aralon stuttered, at all. Unity engine provided some irritating rendering (landscape pop in), and that was about it.

The original iPad rendered 25% more pixels than iPhone 4, with half the memory. Hence, Infinity Blade looking and running like doo-doo in comparison. I even had a spat with Epic's Mark Rein about why the iPad version looked so doo-doo.

Anyhow, this rant got way too winded for my liking. DreamScape looks good and am excited to see it arrive soon.

19. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    Then you must've gotten the limited edition Eddie Bauer iPad or something, Jack, because when I tried to swing the camera around 90 degrees, it was like playing Myst. Mostly in towns.

Wonder why such disparate performance results between your device and mine? I ran Epic Citadel w/o a hiccup.

I plan to snag an iPad 2 in June.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    On my iPhone 4 I used to get stutters in town -- till the devs upgraded the engine to the next version of Unity. Now there are no stutters. As to the other issues, they're all a matter of opinion (for example, the enemy AI is just about as stupid as it was in Oblivion). But that's the problem with the term "overhyped": it assumes that objective evaluation is possible and that those who enjoyed the game and praised it are somehow on the wrong side of it. That is, on course, nonsense. When people use the term overhyped (or overrated) they're trying to sound like professional critics, who use such terms to define themselves in opposition to their peers. What us common folk mean when we use those terms is "I didn't like it as much as others did." Which is a perfectly reasonable position.

Back to the matter at hand, as someone who knows Aralon just a little less well than the developers, I'm comfortable saying that dream:scape looks better (as one would hope, since it's the newer game -- it's called progress). I'm also intrigued by the developer's description of the gameplay, even I'm not sure I quite undestand it. Regardless, I'm really glad to see the platform pushing boundaries, etc.