Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    3 gold per fight is about 100 gold over the course of the game. Given Pickpocket costs 5 gold, that's an amazing return. Granted, you have to make sure you cast it every fight, but that's generally doable. If you only make it through the first floor with it, it's about 20 gold, so +15 which is still quite good. Also, it can't lose the "exile" clause since it's not so hard to build a deck and find a monster who can't hurt you and just get arbitrarily large amounts of gold.

Philosophically though, a world in which pickpocket is really strong isn't a fun one. It means that the dominant plan is to always make sure you hit it, which often means stalling out fights. Some people like that gameplay because it's strategic, but for others it'll just frustrate them. (Also, if that idea appeals to you, give the Necromancer a shot). Right now, pickpocket's an option (a couple monsters worth of gold per floor), but not so dominant as to force you to pick it up. Also, if pickpocket becomes too much better than that (say 5 gold), it starts to really mess with gold balance and warps the game too much around it. I've played in a world with a very strong pickpocket and I don't really want to go back :)

A real option is to make it +2 gold and draw a card, but then the gold cost needs to go up and it stops being nearly as good at its particular niche. So I'm pretty happy with it where it is now - if I'm in the mood for it, I'll grab it, but I don't feel bad just leaving it either.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #162 LordGek, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    While I hear what you're saying here, and make no claims to know what Peter is thinking, I see a big issue the second you add any remuneration to forgetting cards.

I don't think the developer wants to encourage card farming. As soon as you add any sort of value to grabbing unwanted cards just to sell back later, you've kind of defeated the purpose of the deck tuning. Getting rid of now useless cards is an honor, not a privilege.

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man I want this but the art scares me seriously....

4. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    It scared me too. But take the plunge. I'm still not done with the thief class yet, and there's more than 10 classes to go!

Regarding pickpocket, I thought 3 gold was fine but eventually I stopped picking it up because it wasn't worth it because you eventually want to get rid of it later on, which means that it's great early game. How about 4 gold and it cannot be forgotten?

Regarding forgetting stuff, like someone said, it's an honor not a given. Because it's so hard to forget cards, it makes it all the more valuable, and not otherwise. Tbh, it doesnt make any sense to get any sort of renumeration for such a powerful action.

A thief with a really tight deck, is really strong, when constantly hitting out 15 or so cards every turn... all the more possible by forgetting.

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That's your own cross to bear, man.

The best way I can think of putting it is imagine creating a fine tuned Dominion deck out of what you pick up from chests, perks from leveling, and or what you choose yourself from shops scattered about each level's maze. Each of the game's 13 classes plays totally uniquely and has many exclusive cards to their class and all of the game's 70 plus opponents (54 base dudes with decks dynamically adjusted to fit their level, and 18 scary boss baddies, so you'll never encounter the same group twice) all have very unique gimmicks/play styles that your ONE deck will need to be able to handle (whirlwinds are immune to all physical damage, so a breeze for the wizard but a major pain in the ass for the warrior's various straight physical attacks). Defeat the level's boss and you can proceed to the next level, but don't expect to get that far in your first dozens of runs. :)

6. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    It does sound awesome.

7. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Good points one and all and I shall look at Pickpocket in a new light. Thanks for the comments.

Question:- When does the Necromancer character unlock? Sounds intriguing!

8. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    The Necromancer character unlocks after you have prayed at least once at each of the 6 different altars.

9. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Found another (pretty obvious) use for forgetting cards. I prayed at an altar (forgot which god), and got a boon, but also some Curse cards, which can be forgotten. Should we get gold for forgetting those as well? :p :D

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    It not only sounds awesome, but it is awesome.

This is one of the more rare rogue-likes that come around and manage to secure a permanent slot in my device. It's just that re-playable, and it's just that good.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah. And speaking of which, congrats on the review, Peter!

12. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Dang you guys are going to make me buy this!

13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Join the dark side! We have stick figures! :D

14. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Rofl!

15. elswitzer

elswitzer Member

Apr 9, 2009
    One request I would like to make, even if it was just an option, would be to double tap on an enemy/store/whatever to interact with it instead of having to hit the button on the other side of the screen. I'll say it again here because I don't have enough people in my life that would appreciate this game; but if you like roguelikes at all, you NEED to pick this up. Thanks for the amazing game, and I look forward to seeing to how it evolves over time.

16. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    :D

Thanks! The double-click for monsters probably won't happen (since dying because you did it accidentally would be really sad). For other things I could see doing it, though it's too late for the next update.

17. smiley_u

smiley_u Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2013
    This game, by far, is the best game I've played on iOS this year (sorry Peter, across platforms you were up against Dark Souls 2 :) ).

It has so much depth, such replay value, and requires such strategical gameplay I'm quite baffled by it honestly.

Go out, tell your friends, that we have a game of the year candidate here. Good job and now please give us widescreen support and better buttons :)

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So how far are others in the game at this point?

I have 6 classes unlocked and have made many runs where I was CLOSE to killing the second level bosses. :p

19. Cairn

Cairn Member

May 20, 2014
    I've mostly done warrior runs (maybe 70 runs-though not all serious). Gotten to the end maybe 6 or 7 times? Sometimes that's quickly disaster, but sometimes I get a good whack in :D.

20. tamykatakki

tamykatakki Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Made it to the 3rd floor once as a samurai! Woohoo! Didn't even manage to find the boss for that floor though :( mind you it's probably around my 70th run that I made it there

Usiually I manage to get to at least the 2nd floor. Plus so far I've unlocked samurai and monk.