Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I'd also like this, for abilities as well; mainly because I've got all these upgrade points to spend and I have no idea what any of the unlockable abilities actually do.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    True. Would be nice if we could SEE the card we've just unlocked or are considering unlocking.

3. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I have a constant bug (I think). Every time I click on the chest after a victory, the contents of the chest show for about 2 tenths of a second and then the screen automatically closes. Too quick for me to read! Thanks

4. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It only lasts a couple of seconds, so it can seem very short. Have been on the fence for a long time about just making it click-dismissed (so clicking anywhere makes it go away, but it doesn't time out). Thoughts?

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    The speed seems fine to me, certainly a lot more than a fraction of a second. You don't really have to read every word, anyway, since it's always the same. Just look at the numbers for gold (or treasure chest) and XP.

6. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    Unlocking from achievements? Yes, that would be nice. I simply assume that the more expensive cards are better.

I've played 40+ games so far and have yet to get past the second level. Anyone else progressing this slowly, or am I just really bad at this?

Regardless of progress, I am really loving the game. I'm amazed that a student created a game of this much depth and this well thought out by himself. Kudos!

7. thesteamboat

thesteamboat Member

Mar 2, 2014
    I've started a wiki at http://dream-quest.wikia.com. At the moment it's poorly organized and formatted, and has barely any content, so I'd appreciate any help I can g et. I'll be slowly filling out details on cards and monsters and such, but feel free to add anything on strategies or tips or whatever. Also if anyone knows how to set up nice templates for monsters/cards or whatever, that would be much appreciated.

8. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    #128 LegendaryFerret, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Daily build is out to testers, so I can actually respond to some of the fun things.

@limmyfox: Crazy old man is useful =) I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact chain of events before...Also, nice thief deck

@wiki: Thanks steamboat for setting that up. I'll do what I can to help, but I'm pretty busy with updates right now. A wiki would be pretty awesome though.

@better information about unlocks: I talked to some people about this last week and didn't come to any great conclusions. I wouldn't mind adding some clarity here, but it won't be for the next patch. I like having some amount of exploration where you just kind of pick things that sound like you'd like them, but it may not be worth it. A sweet wiki might solve this problem though.

@Randall: Thanks!

Otherwise, it seems like there are a lot of people towards the end of floor 2. For people beyond that, what strategies have been working for you? Or for people there, what kind of strategies have you been trying?

9. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for response. I think I definitely have a bug then. Even though I am expecting it when pressing the chest icon, it disappears too quickly to read. It never shows for a full second. I am using a 5. I'll delete and install again.

10. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I kinda not mind not knowing, it adds to the surprise and disappointment. Moreover, there are a few talents which I thought was a horrible waste of time which I ended up taking because it fitted my deck or I needed to survive. Also, enabling a card doesn't mean that you'll see it soon anyway, so if something great happens to pop up that somehow works great for you, then good. Otherwise, I don't mind not knowing what each card or talent do before I enable it using points. I tend to use the points for revival though... .

Regarding strategies, I've been using the thief almost exclusively for now. It really depends on what you're given but eventually you're going to need to think on how you're going to survive the later levels because healing is a problem for thieves, so you need to either have a healing skill or a dodging skill sooner or later... .

11. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    FWIW: I've played about 20 games so far and haven't got past the second level yet either.

Seconded! This is an extraordinary game. It is truly amazing that it has been conceived by a single developer and that this is his first published game. I'd be very curious to hear how long he spent developing it.

12. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    #132 limmyfox, May 21, 2014
    I've played too many times as a thief now. Oh wait, there are like how many other characters left to play? ^_^ Tremendous replayability... .

Btw, just had an awesome small kicking combo deck with thief... .

13. mike32

mike32 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2011
    I don't know how many plays I have done but I'm still stick to the second level ;)

Some suggestions:
    ------------------
    What about a "View Stats" option which display the number of games played, the total time spend playing, the number of successull play, the number of deads, ...:
    > for all characters (summary) and
    > characters by characters (thief, mage, warrior, ...)

For the cards and talents we can earn through achievements, I wouldn't mind knowing beforehand the description and picture of the card/talent. That could have a motivating effect. Once the achievement is earned and displayed, the possibility to display the card/talent description would be great too.

14. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    @mike32: actually there is a way to see how many times one has died... (at least up to the first 100 deaths) and that is by checking the first red number in the appropriate 'skull' achievement. :)

15. mike32

mike32 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Thx funambulist ;)

I'm almost at 20 plays.

16. Uchti

Uchti Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    #136 Uchti, May 21, 2014
    Okay, I followed a lot of threats and games here but never really cared enough to participate in any discussion to create my own account...until now ;)

Your game is awesome!!! Definitely the best game I played in months!! And I could slap me for almost not buying it cause of the "special" artwork it has. ;) thank you for this great game! And please add more content especially classes if possible! Just finished the 3rd boss in my 59th play through!!! Now I have to play more and test the paladin, haha damn!

Oh and the final boss starts his count down too early, I saw the congratulations sign with explanations in the center while the time was already ticking too the right! Shouldn't it at least wait till the fight actually starts?

Tactic wise: I won with a samurai deck! Focused on mana and spells like the reoccurring 10 piercing dmg spell and the crazy 2 times 30dmg fire spell!

17. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    I didn't realise any countdown, what was the countdown for? I only saw the congratulation message and I just walked towards him and attacked him and then the fight started.

How's the paladin like? I'm still not bored with the thief yet, there're so many combinations of decks to try with him... . I'll prolly work on the monk once I'm done with the thief... .

18. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    45 plays and also still to get past second floor boss.
    But I keep coming back for more!!
    Loving the thief the most so far.

19. Uchti

Uchti Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    I mean the turn countdown. About 20secs per turn and it was ticking to the right while I was reading the fight introduction. After I initiated the fight. I couldn't finish reading it cause I didn't want to miss a turn so I was completely confused when it said "feed me" and before I could figure it out I missed my turn haha. That fight went horrible!

I am just trying the paladin, I like her ability, auto upgrade an attack card every 2 fights.
    My favorites are definitely samurai for his mana to dmg ability and the auto heal and the wizard with all the powerful endgame spells. Didn't get too far with a thief up till now. But I just figured out from a previous post, that equipment slot doesn't mean I can have 2 instead of 1 items equipt, it means I start with 1 from the beginning of the fight, right? That changes the usefulness, haha.

20. mike32

mike32 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2011
    #140 mike32, May 21, 2014
    Here is how it works:
    > At the beginning, you got 0 permanent equipment slot. The "+1 Equipment", increase it by 1. So you got 0+1 permanent equipment slot. If you got another "+1 Equipment", it will increase to 2, ...
    > In combat, you automatically get the permanently equipped items at the beginning of the combat. But you can always have an unlimited (to my knowledge) amount of equipments by playing equipment cards in your hand.

I hope this helps ;)