Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, mostly text and button sizes:) we're not interacting with a mouse, but with a fat finger :)

2. uhdrill

uhdrill Active Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Regarding the UI in iPhone 5, I assume the update will seem a million times better but for the record, I've had zero issues with it. The only time I noticed any frustration was trying to view an enemy's special ability, but I blame myself as much as the UI as I may not have been tapping it directly.

3. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Just wanted to chime in here and opine my 2 euro-cents:

This is a good game. A very good game in fact.

I'm really enjoying this. Thanks.

4. elswitzer

elswitzer Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I've been able to play on my i5 fine enough but the text size does hurt my eyes so I've been sticking to the iPad for now. That said, I can't wait to see the intended look coming in the update.

Like others have said, the graphics have grown on me to the point where an update to them would probably seem as a downgrade. Even though they are rough, they have a certain charm and are specific enough to be easily identifiable.

Overall, this is an amazing game with surprising depth and unmatched replayability. Even though I haven't beaten the third floor yet I look forward to any and all updates, especially new cards/classes/achievements. Anyone that is a fan of roguelikes needs to pick this up, if nothing else just to support this dev and allow him to spend more time polishing this gem.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Fun videos! Even though I already though I knew how to play, I have yet to clear the second level and think some of your demonstrated techniques will get me much further.

I also think your videos, especially as you've broken them up by floor, really shows how the game at first, especially with the very home made graphics, almost comes off as incredibly simplistic (play all of your cards and hope you can finish them off before they hit back) but if you were to just skip ahead to Part 3 you'll see that the game ends up getting pretty deep requiring not only careful play but thoughtful on the fly deck design to get that far in the first place.

6. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    #106 Xaintrix, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    I'm pleasantly surprised how good this game is. Some UI issues on the 5S, but overall a fun experience. Thank TA for another sale. The community interest and developer accessibility helped me get over my skepticism of the visuals.

Edit: oh gosh, the iPad UI was used on the 5 series phones? No wonder! It seemed fine on my iPad.

7. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Meant to respond to some of these earlier today, but got caught up working on the UI stuff.

Yep, that's exactly right.

Recycle is a weird card. First off, it's cheap and replaces itself (though costs an action), so there's low cost to adding it to your deck. Nortikdos mentioned one good use - if you're going through your whole deck regularly, it's basically a take-an-extra-turn card. In that case, it's one of the strongest cards in the game since a free turn is awesome, especially at that price. But most decks don't go through their whole deck in a turn.

The other use is when you can draw it at the end of your deck cycle. Say you have no cards in your deck, a reasonable hand, and recycle. If you play your good cards, then recycle, the good cards will get shuffled into your new deck while your bad cards are still sitting in your hand which will make you much stronger for the next couple of turns. It's kind of a small benefit, but it's a pretty cheap card.

I tend to pick up recycle if I go through ~50% or more of my deck each turn and am not terribly action-limited. Mostly it's a mediocre role-player with the potential to be extremely good in the right deck (*cough* monk *cough*).

8. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    I still feel pretty lost when it comes to upgrades. I know I don't have half the achievements unlocked yet, but I'm still not quite sure where the best bang for the buck is on the various classes. It's been fun banging away. Got my Thief deep into floor 3 before face checking into something I couldn't handle.

9. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Can you tell me if it stays that way forever? Do I always have to go through a boring first (and maybe second) floor to get to the real meat? Or does the first level play also fundamentally change when you acquire more passive upgrades? Because it would be quite the waste of time if the actual game, when you actually have to make interesting decisions just starts on level 2 or 3.

Many roguelikes have this problem though. The early-game is mind-numbingly trivial and you basically just click through until the actual game begins.

10. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    The clever thing here is that the easy level1 is very necessary in order for you to setup your deck. Killing monsters might be easy, but the decisions on what you bring forward to level2 and then 3 are tough. You could also say that the easy monsters there, are there to help you finetune your deck. Also, once you can consistently get past level2, then please post here again on your thoughts. XD.

11. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    #111 limmyfox, May 20, 2014
    Btw, is the crazy old man useful? XD

EDIT: NOooooo, I just saw the phylactery!!!

12. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Is there any chance of a wiki page being created or a master list of all possible cards? Monster cards and playable cards?

Rob

13. Brandonheat

Brandonheat New Member

May 20, 2014
  14. Cairn

Cairn Member

May 20, 2014
    Warrior Runs

So I've been playing almost exclusively warrior (almost 100 runs now) except for a few runs that help me unlock a handful of passives (though you certainly don't need them). I thought I would post some impressions as to why I think this class is awesome, and some helpful things I've found to get to floor 3.

Anyway, when you first start out as a warrior, you don't have a ton in your starting deck. Just a sword and some attack cards. The sword is really important for you, since it makes your attack cards much much better (but watch out for physical resist guys-your awesome plan can backfire if they are either immune or take 1/2 damage from physical, since the sword triggers don't proc). :)

I usually end up taking health as my starting talent, since warriors in particular have a hard time healing. Usually this isn't a huge problem until floor 2 (when you want to try and find some kind of healing mechanism), but it's important to kind of head off any problems there right away. Plus there are some cards that do damage based on current health, so if you manage to get a pretty good amount of health, you can base your end-game strategy around those cards.

Equipment slots are really great, and you generally want to have your sword equipped even if you get other equipment later. There are some exceptions to this, but basically any equipment card is your best friend.

After equipment, you generally want one or two elemental damage spells, like flame slash or corrosive slash. This helps you finish off floor 1 and start floor 2. It may be tempting to get a ton of elemental damage spells, but shortly after you hit floor 2 these spells, even at their highest level, just don't do enough damage to be worth the slot when you have more than 2 or 3. Try to move towards piercing damage, slashes or other attack cards that draw, and you really really want cards like sunder or expose. Other good options are the high level attack cards that have you exile another card as part of their cost, which lets you effectively delete cards from your deck.

Sometimes action cards are also a good way to go for warrior depending on what you see on a given run. This can really help you draw your deck.

When I get the furthest into the dungeon, I tend to have a somewhat tight deck 10-15 cards, all useful, and can draw almost the entire deck each turn.

15. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    I just had this crazy combo of a big damage deck, altar to heal from damage, altar to draw additional cards and a lv3 bonus of drawing 3 additional cards when health below 14.

And I got stopped by a physical immune creature who was sitting at a chokepoint. -___-

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #116 Ayjona, May 20, 2014
    That sheds quite a lot of light over different perceptions of the interface. Hopefully my feedback makes a bit more sense in light of this ;) And I certainly finally understand the idea behind the current 5C/5S UI (i.e., there is none, and you never intended the interface that way ;) ).

Wonderful!

17. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    #117 limmyfox, May 20, 2014
    I think I broke the memory or something, drawing too many cards and 3rd time it shut down. ^_^ I'll post pictures later...

Edit 1: 2nd time kicked out of final boss. Unsure if I could finish the fight... .

18. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    Congrats on winning! Let me know what you can about the memory issue and I'll see what I can do. I'm guessing you're on an iPhone4?

Just drawing cards shouldn't generally do it. If you have a lot of stuff going on in the background on an old-ish device then it's possible closing some of that will help. As a stop-gap, you can concede in combat to at least get the achievements you deserve.

Otherwise, pictures will help; it could be that there's something specific going on that I can fix.

19. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm on a 4s. Maybe my phone was too hot, I'll let it cool off a bit. I kept trying and trying though, and the most damage I've taken off him was 100 before it shut down. ^_^ Links below are photos of my deck and build.

Spoilers:
    http://imgur.com/f4unHfd
    http://imgur.com/yLzLhW9

20. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    Having a tough time reproducing this bug (also on a 4S). Will send you a PM. I'll see what I can do about reducing the memory footprint some regardless.

On a more important(?) note - that deck is awesome. I hadn't processed it when I scanned it, but it's more obvious having played it a couple of times. That's a really cool (and highly synergistic) thief deck. Nicely done!