Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    You are not really expected to win only whittle him down to 750. He has random abilities, in theory you can read the level descriptions and figure what he will do to you and plan accordingly. The timed thing is one of the worst attacks depending on your deck.
    Congrats on getting this far on velociraptor!

2. lawdcu

lawdcu New Member

Aug 28, 2015
    One Shot Grizzly

I've been playing the game in the following manner for a while now and if you're a veteran of the Velociraptor setting, you might find it fun:

1. Create a new profile. The default is Grizzly Bear difficulty - keep that difficulty.
    2. Start a new game with a random character class.
    3. Go as far as you can.
    4. Count your achievements at the end - this is your score.
    5. Delete that profile, create a new one, repeat.

A score of 7-9 usually means you made it to level two. Yesterday I managed to beat the level three boss with a thief that got pretty much every lucky break available. That was 16 achievements. So it's not impossible, but it is very, very challenging to win the game, and usually you end up on level two somewhere. Double-digit achievements should be praised with great praise.

3. autofire

autofire Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Can see you've absolutely hammered this game! ^

Still probably the best solo game on iOS, can't help coming back to it when other jawdroppers have gone stale.

I repeatedly dream of a lavish sequel with Hearthstone production values. Come on Peter, you and your new mates could rattle that off for us, surely? :D

4. DadOregon

DadOregon New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    BEST game ever ... and heartbreaking glitch

I have not enjoyed a game this much in probably 20 years or more. And last night, it broke my heart. Made it to LOD playing assassin, and got him down to 362/1000 when LOD demanded gift of 3 cards, and I had only 2 in my hand. Froze the game. Couldn't give three. Couldn't even Quit the game. Score and everything wiped out. Had to reboot iPad. Heartbroken. I'd happily work with the developer to fix this glitch in what I otherwise view as an amazing game.

Attached Files:

5. youtube_JasonWivart

youtube_JasonWivart Active Member

May 1, 2016

The developer works for hearth stone now and does not update this game anymore. Sorry for you glitch and congrats on your run

6. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Maybe you can send him an email to see if there's any solution? I can't guarantee anything, but so far as I know, he's a nice person.

7. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

#687 Patashu, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Got a really good Assassin run yesterday, was finally able to get the Rich achievement, and if I hadn't gone for it I probably would have beaten the Lord of the Dream. Screenshots and story here:

https://twitter.com/Patashu0/status/768737869666017280

Also, some unusual bugs I've noticed:

1) If Reenact copies Pickpocket, there's a few second pause as it heads to the graveyard from a very off-screen location.

2) If Desperate Strike copies Sidestep, it vanishes from play but still has the usual effect otherwise. Not exactly sure what is going on here.

3) There's a glitch where you can tap on a card just before or after putting it into play that causes weird animations, but it's hard to reproduce.

4) If you Mimic a Disoriented action card, nothing seems to happen.

And some general terminology things:

1) 'when you play/each X you play' (for example Greatbowm Sword and Fire Shape) is ambiguous between triggering before the card's effect resolves and triggering after the card's effect resolves, and also if it works if the card is countered or not, and also if it works if the card exiles itself while resolving or not. Another good exmaple is Spwll Swell vs Counterspell.

2) It's not always obvious what order start of turn/end of turn effects happen in. For example Protean vs Boots of Speed/Efreet passive, or Darting Daggers vs Circle end of turn effect, or when prayers activate.

3) It's not always obvious what order multiple status effects apply in. For example regeneration vs poison, physical resistance vs weakened/chilled/damage doubling effects, etc. EDIT: Though the latter has a list here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3250917&postcount=379 It seems pretty intuitive actually.

4) It's sometimes ambiguous how long a 'turn' is. For example, the Armor card seems to not 'regenerate' its damage prevention until your next turn starts, rather than regenerating it each turn. Also, related, Cloak of Invisibility only 'regenerates' when your opponent takes a turn, contracting the card text.

8. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016

The dev has a twitter account so you can contact with him directly on twitter.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Am I missing something obvious? I've paid good money (Achievement Points) to have killed all 18 bosses but the Professor class is still locked. Have the latest iOS updates broken the game?

10. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    IIRC, continuing with points will disable you from unlocking contents from that run. I think there's a warning about this when it asks you for continuing, and also when you finally finish that run, it says so at the scoring screen.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No continues used, just bought several of the "Boss X Defeated" achievements.

Problem solved. Even though, achievement-wise, I'd defeated all 18 bosses, it wasn't until I died pathetically in my next random run that SUDDENLY the game informed me the Professor class was now unlocked. :rolleyes:

12. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Pity that we probably won't see any update to fix that in the near future :rolleyes:

13. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    But what a great game ... :cool:

14. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Indeed... Probably the worthiest 3 bucks I've ever spent in AppStore...

15. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    FYI, there's a new game on Steam that was inspired by Dream Quest. It is called Monster Slayers and is one of the most fun experiences I've played in years. I know Lord Gek has it as well. He might be able to compare the two games. I can't, as I was never able to look past the visuals on this one.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While Monster Slayers adds a couple of new mechanics to the foundation already laid by Dream Quest, I don't know, it feels very unfinished and unbalanced.

Biggest case in point, how Monster Slayers handles equipment. There are shops in Monster Slayers where you can buy cards (instantly added to your deck) and equipment (stuff like weapons and armor) that YOU CAN'T EQUIP UNTIL STARTING A NEW MAP. So if you think you'll be able to use that new axe you just bought vs. the big boss monster at the end of the level, nope, but if you manage to survive this map, you might be able to equip it before you start your next adventure. It then feels, to rectify this, the game is nice enough to ensure you can keep all of the equipment (none of the cards) you acquired on your current run in the community pool for future characters.

:confused:

17. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    I played the heck out of Dream Quest- unlocked everything, loved it and would redownload if it ever updated.

Have played Monster Slayers quite a bit since I saw it mentioned here- beat the harbinger with cleric and barbarian.

The game is very similar to dream quest. If you loved dream quest and want more I would recommend it. This works both ways, people who enjoy monster slayers should definitely check out Dream Quest. I consider Dream Quest to be the better game.

Monster Slayers is not as polished as dream quest, but the developer is actively fixing bugs and balancing and talking about adding more content.

18. GiacomoLaw

GiacomoLaw Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Student
    UK
    Really like the look this, but it hasn't been updated for two years so I'm worried the Dec is not active anymore

19. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Just a quick note, the game is 64-bit and shows up on the iOS 11 app store.

20. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Looks like it was updated today to work on iOS 11? I think I'll need to buy it for sure now! It has been on my list forever but I was afraid to get it knowing the developer is now working for a larger company and not sure if this would be updated!!!

Thanks for the update!!!