Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Man, that's a very good method! I kinda liked the hourglass, but I've never thought of using 2 before since my deck is usually small!

Edit: my posts seems to always start a new page XD

2. mgdpublic

mgdpublic Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Can someone help me out with syncing? I'm trying to get it from my Ipad to Iphone. I can upload it but the download doesn't find my user name. In ICloud, under documents and data there is no option to turn it on for Dream Quest. What am i doing wrong?

3. nlesgold

nlesgold Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 22, 2011
    RN
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #543 nlesgold, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    I'm playing a Monk game that's going pretty well (I'm ready to face the floor 2 boss), but something is bugging me. I got offered a choice of Skewer or Dice on level up to level 7, and picked Skewer since I hadn't been using a lot of actions on my turn. However, it looks like Skewer's ability to increase the amount of physical damage you deal is negated by the monk's ability which makes all damage piercing; my level 2 Holy Strike was only dealing 4 damage, not 5, and it also didn't improve Jab or Slice. If Monks can't benefit from Skewer apart from increasing their actions-played count, maybe that shouldn't be in their level up pool.

ETA: Also I got Expose in a floor 3 treasure chest. It's one thing to have cards show up that aren't good; I feel like it's another to have ones that are straight up dead cards due to a possibly-obscure game mechanic.

4. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    Confirmed acquiring Zombie Bite. Easiest means is to copy a spiders web ability then force discard on level 1 zombie. Then wait for his deck to cycle through and nab it.

5. nlesgold

nlesgold Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 22, 2011
    RN
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mixed results on that monk run - I beat the Lich on floor 3 (thanks to being immortal enough to survive his big heal/damage spell), but did less than 100 damage to the dream lord. I had a weirdly effective deck that felt pretty terrible - I was mostly relying on Psychic Blast and a Holy Strike 3 for most of the game for damage, and using a combination of dodge via Avoidance, Invisibility talent on floor 3, and limited healing to stay alive until I could kill my opponents. Monks are so bad. One goof I made was mushroom quest copying my Psychic Blast instead of the Curse of Doom I got right before the end - two of those would've made much shorter work of the Lich, if nothing else.

Also, Piercing Strike is another cruel card to offer a Monk whose damage is already piercing. Monks are so bad. Still, not a bad run for a game that started off with considering going for the Pure achievement. Considering I had 420 gold at the end of the game I might've been able to do it if the last floor had had a chapel.

6. HumbleSloth

HumbleSloth Active Member

Apr 30, 2014
    I was able to beat the Monk in only ~10 games, but I think I got lucky, because trying him out again the thing I notice is his early damage is so bad. He has a high rate of first floor failure for me.

7. mgdpublic

mgdpublic Member

Nov 20, 2010
    feature request: The option to not take either bonus when leveling up. There have been quite a few times I wanted neither option (both cards that didn't work for my deck).

8. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    So the review is finally out... It did get 4 stars which is probably fair, but the review focuses on shortcomings that I don't see ...

Well, hopefully it will give the game a bit more well-deserved attention.

9. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Glad to see it got a review on here great game.

10. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    Really glad it got a review it deserved, finally. But after reading, the review sounded very reluctantly written... .

11. elswitzer

elswitzer Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yeah, at least it got four stars I guess, but that review was pretty lazy. Way too much focus on the graphics and not nearly enough on the beautiful balance and design of the game systems. Are the graphics 'AAA' quality? Not really, but they are extremely functional, which IMO is way more important in this type of game. I've never had trouble differentiating cards/enemies so I'm not sure what the big deal is, especially for a roguelike. It does upset me that a game this well thought out won't get the full attention it deserves but I just remind myself that the dev really made it for himself, and we are lucky that he shared it with us. Really I just wish there was a way to get this guy more money because he obviously has some real talent in game design.

12. styles

styles Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Yes, this game is a gem. Me, my wife and boy are all hooked.. this is not something that happens often.

He would probably get wealthy by releasing modern graphics art as that would also get common public's attention :D

13. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Great game, I actually like the graphics

14. Skryia

Skryia Member

Jan 4, 2014
    The review was more than fair. Hopefully the developer can find an artist to partner with and make the game look as good as it plays. The fact it can do reasonably well in spite of the terrible graphics is a tribute to how well designed the gameplay is.

15. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Boy the necromancer is really a sucker. Lots of base mana is just not enough if you have to hold out for a few turns and run out of mana. I took sorcerous as level 2 talent just to have mana surge - will there be any mana cards on the third floor? (I have not yet been there and have never seen mana on floor two). Or am I supposed to use prayers - but without defense it is not so easy....

Can't get my head around this character, almost all cards that you are offered suck- action cards with 1 base action???

But probably good to have a challenging character at the end.

16. danron1376

danron1376 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    finally got the professor class and he's extremely fun to play. i find that he's really dependent on what monsters there are. i sometimes get stuck against the slime cube boss. i would steal a few of his SLURP cards, but the battle becomes one where we SLURP all of our attack cards and we wind up with only SLURPs and the game ends in a draw lol

17. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    I haven't had time to go back and read through all of the recent posts, but was curious to know if there are known issues with syncing. I'm trying to bring progress over from my iPad to my iPhone but haven't been able to get my uploaded save to appear yet.

18. styles

styles Member

Nov 24, 2012
  19. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I've been having the same issue for what it's worth.

20. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    Try the professor class with flee as your talent! Just discovered this very cheating combo! :D