Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I've never gotten the card packs before except once for the monk to get the priest deck. Ended up with 4 prayer of wrath XD and 2 piety in a very small deck.

Cruel worked for me a couple of times when my deck was mainly physical which was fine by me, as each card would've dealt at least 4 damage, and more with the weakened status, and a lot of rallies.

I'm doing necro now, and can't seem to find a way to win with him... Grr...

On a side note, I've yet to see the damn kraken zzz... and I think I've done many hundreds of plays...

2. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    Back to passing on both options:

My main argument is that if both cards are worse than what's already in my deck, it makes my deck worse to add either — and it doesn't feel great to be punished for leveling up. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen, especially if you're running a very lean or very focused deck. My best runs happen when I'm really choosy with what I pick up — passing on plenty of good cards in treasure chests because I know they will slow down my deck.

The confusion of new players is a good counter-argument, but I'd point out that you can decline the cards from treasure chests and even discard the cards within. It's okay if they don't understand, they're not going to use it. Have you played Dominion? Chapel lets you remove cards from your deck and it's one of the best cards in the whole game because of it — competitive players and the game designer agree. Beginners don't understand it and often wonder why it's even there. As they get more experienced with the game, they learn how important the efficiency of their deck is. Suddenly, it clicks and they try Chapel, using it to trash the worst cards in their deck. Not drawing a Copper or an Estate means you're drawing something better instead.

Making card deletion easier/cheaper would be one of the quickest ways to dramatically lower the difficulty of the game. I don't want that — I like the current balance of skill and luck. Sometimes I have to deal with a bigass conglomeration of a deck because I haven't seen any monasteries or Hiditi's, and that's fun.

If you'd like examples of options I would rather decline, I'll start writing them down. The game has plenty of situations where it forces you do the best you can in a situation, but leveling just seems like something that shouldn't drag you down. I don't want to feel like I'm picking the lesser of two evils. I guess another way around this would be to never make both offers a card. I'd choose a mana boost in a deck without spells before a card that hurts my deck — it may not help me, but it won't hurt me either.

3. mojojojo82

mojojojo82 Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Love this game - but... am up against the Lord, but as soon as the fight gets a few moves in my 4S crashes. Is this a known issue? Anyone aware of an update coming soon?

Would pack up and press restart, but it took soooo many attempts to get here, and I've got a rocking loadset (imho)!

4. RollingSkull

RollingSkull Active Member

Jun 19, 2010
    The upcoming patch will hopefully fix the dreamer/general long fight crash.

I would actually be opposed to a "Neither" option on level up as really, cobbling something together out of the limited choices you have IS the game. In fight strategy is rather limited at best.

Having to choose between an excellent card and deletion is just as much a nail biter as choosing the least bad of two cards you don't want. It's less satisfying, true, but I think it adds more than it takes away.

Also, it took me loads of games to see the ice queen and full out my professor cheevo. Hang in there. Just a tip for the hydra if you meet up: without fire or poison your odds of winning are very very low.

I've actually cleared the game with every class. Necro is the only one I haven't got the 850 on (though come to think of it I think I bought it for thief). That said, Necro's cheevo card is terrible and after seeing garbage like Troll Blood Charm crowd out my beloved Periapt I'm not all that sure I want Necro's card anyway. I still try for kicks and to try to figure out if the author of this game sees something I don't or if he is truly mad.

5. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    #465 limmyfox, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Mojojo, sadly the best fix for now would be to try to bring down the boss life to below 850 and then click on the top left button to concede the match in order for you to get the achievement.

I would 'kinda' agree with you with having forced to pick a card for reasons you've just said.
    Also, I meant the kracken, haven't met it yet. :D Any tips for that? Have no idea what it does till I meet it... .

6. RollingSkull

Jun 19, 2010
    #466 RollingSkull, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Edit: doh, you meant the kraken.

I think it hampers the cards you play like every asshole water jerk. Otherwise, I don't remember anything specific.

7. RollingSkull

Jun 19, 2010
    Question, often after the dreamer asks to pick my poison or for a gift, it will immediately end my turn, even when the dreamer should not be taking a double turn. (And he wouldn't. Gifts/picks only happen on the player's turn.). Is that fixed in 1.06?

8. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    just a thing I made, I can just imagine the monsters sitting there playing back, also I thought it looked like the thumbnail

Attached Files:

9. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    @RollingSkull: Need more information - I haven't heard of that one before, so it's probably not fixed in 1.06. Are you sure it's not timed? Since if the timer expires, it'll make you finish doing whatever you're doing and then end your turn. Do you know what his attributes were (you can click on his portrait to find out)?

@Dymonic: That's awesome! Thanks!

10. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

#470 slothwerks, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Woo! Just got my first dungeon clear with Paladin vs. Titan. Went with an equipment heavy deck with 2x Scimitar, Vampire Sword, Deck of Wonders and Boots of Speed. Combined that with Wrath of God for some pretty epic offense. Pulled some sweet cards from Deck of Wonders during the Titan fight, including one where I got to draw a card for each attack card in play (I ended up drawing 10 cards with that).

It was pretty sweet though; was pulling two extra attack cards, each time I used one (eg: my 4 damage attack cards were getting played 3 times each, with the dual scimitar!) My closest call was against a Level 10 Sphinx (I'd never beat the Sphinx before) while I was Level 9. Deck of Wonders was super critical, because it helped diversify my hand. The Titan was relatively easy by comparison, since I was playing 10-20 cards per turn. I also had Immortal in case things got bad, but didn't need it.

Really stoked to finally conquer it! Looking forward to trying to repeat it with another class. Haven't found one I like quite as much as Paladin, though. Might go back to warrior/samurai, since those were my previous favorites up until paladin (which I purchased).

Can't get over how brilliant & deep this game is :)

11. RollingSkull

Jun 19, 2010
    I checked his attributes. It would not be a double turn if he asked me for gift/choice anyway.

I am definitely not running out of time either.

It has ONLY happened in the choice/gift modes. My guess is the game often immediately asks if I want to end my turn after starting a new turn; apparently I must hit the end turn button too hard last turn or something (I don't get why it does that.) so it carries over to the next turn. But there may be a window between the choice and the next turn start where it does not think I have cards in my hand so if it is resolving an end turn in that instant it might just end it.

12. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    #472 snarvid, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Necro success requires either frost or poison to get off 1st level. I'll often restart the first level if it's the purple background underground one since if I go poison and face the vamp it's game over. On that note - I think that's too strong an ability for a level 1 boss.

In other news, I killed the dreamer. Maybe even legit.

I was running an assassin deck with Archmage, Jasra's Emerald, and Blight. I restarted the game until I got a gift Dreamer and chose Fiery to feed him temp fireballs. My plan was to Blight him until his gifting demands hit three, Vanish, Heal, then re-engage. Which I did, but his gift number stayed at three and it was a question whether the poison would finish him before he pounded me out.

Then the game crashed. :(
    Then I restarted the game where it has saved after I Vanished. His gift number was reset to 1 and I smacked him down. :)

Clearly, one of those was not working as intended. So it's either a legit win that revealed a bug or a workaround for the Dreamer soon to be patched.

Still... I'm a Master Thief!

13. RollingSkull

Jun 19, 2010
    Mana Shield + Archmage Assassin is the closest I got to killing Dreamer but I couldn't do it with all the crashing.

Card rot is reset if you Assassin vanish from dreamer so it might almost be a more viable way to do it.

14. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Character customization would be wonderful after this next update.

15. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    #475 Amenbrother, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Update is out! Cloud saving what? Awesome!

EDIT: I cant get the cloud sync to work. When I go to download a profile from another device nothing shows up.

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Have you uploaded first from the other device? Do you have iCloud enabled, and Dream Quest enabled in iCloud > Documents and Data (or whatever it's called)?

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Yes to both questions.

18. nlesgold

nlesgold Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 22, 2011
    RN
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #478 nlesgold, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    So, I just updated and then resumed a saved game I was playing with a thief on floor 1. When I got to floor 2, there were no art assets or colors for the squares on the map. Everything that I'd discovered just went from pure black to pure white, and battles took place with a pure white background. I hadn't paid attention to the text box listing what terrain the floor had, but monsters included goblins, harpy, and a vampire boss.

ETA - third floor forest is displaying normally. Also I just got to the third floor with a thief for the first time. Woo! (backstab/dice deck)

19. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yeah, game saves might be pretty weird between versions. I should do a better job of at least testing and understanding what's going to happen.

But, as people mentioned, 1.06 is out!

Significant changes:

Dramatically reduced memory usage, drastically reducing related crashes on low end devices or in long fights.
    Added iCloud support
    Added additional stat tracking (view achievements you've already completed to see additional information)
    A number of changes to priests and other more defensive classes to give them additional offensive diversity.
    A slew of bug fixes and small balance changes.

Small Changes:
    Jeremiad now permits resurrection but no longer respects poison, penance, and burning (they count as damage on the target rather than dealt by you)
    Polymorph can now transform bosses
    Penance no longer scales, instead dealing 2 damage each turn.
    The cost of the Deck of Wonder has been increased to 65
    Elemental Fortitude now provides resistance instead of immunity
    Three new cards have been added, most likely appearing for defensive classes - Force of Will, Pure Thoughts, and Eye for an Eye
    The level up ability Piety has been renamed to Cleanse to reduce ambiguity with the card Piety
    Kinetic Charge and Curse of Weakness now additionally draw a card
    Defensive classes on the second floor now have overall stronger choices of cards for their level ups
    On iPad, the choices for prayers are significantly larger

Please resubmit your reviews!

20. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Still waiting anxiously for the update so that I can try priest again! Looks like it's not available yet, but I'll add a review as soon as I can!