Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. DieMyDarling

DieMyDarling Member

Jul 18, 2012
    After almost 200 plays I still have only beaten it once, with the paladin. Yargh.

2. HumbleSloth

HumbleSloth Active Member

Apr 30, 2014
    #382 HumbleSloth, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    I think maybe the poison applied to a hand of glory damaged me because of dance? (Like the dance starts at the start of the hand's turn, not my own?)

I'm not certain what I saw there. Can anyone confirm or deny?

3. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm not getting this in 1.06, but I don't have a convenient dev build of 1.05 around. So if it was around, it'll be fixed in the next update!

4. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Look at the amount of icons over your monk! :D

Wow Eriatarka, thumbs up for such generosity for such a great game. I'm actually still curious as to why Toucharcarde still has yet to review it. How do we get them to do so?

5. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    My favorite class is Samurai right now and I just had my first battle with the boss of the third floor the Phoenix. I got really confused as to why he turned into a egg and he killed me the next time he came back.
    Now I know why after reading the bestiary

6. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Oh thanks for the reply!

Once I thought damage reduction 3 + force field will be an perfect shield (not for piercing though), now it turns out to be not due to this order.

Double Frost shape is not so easy to test, for the fact that white dragon has water immune, which will prevent the damage to be bounced back and forth. A clone may help, but it would be harder to achieve that certain situation.

I saw some people complain about the arts, but I personally think they aren't that bad. They are recognizable to say the least, and I can often tell what a card does without having to check its details. And now I feel it'll be weird to fight without these cute stick men XD

Anyway, thanks again for the answers! Hope TA will have a decent review soon!

7. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    Yeah, double reflect is a pain to test naturally. I just cheated both players some frost armor and played an attack 1 to see what happened since I honestly wasn't sure.

Resilience + damage reduction actually wasn't always this way. At some point Treants had a way to generate stacking damage reduction, so I changed the resilience ordering so that they were at least a little killable. Then I realized that having Treants block both low damage and high damage attacks was a terrible idea, so I changed how they worked, but kept resilience the same.

8. elan

elan New Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Unable to unlock Dreamiest Team achievement

I'm unable to unlock the Dreamiest Team achievement. The achievement says I need Assassin, Paladin, Ranger, Samurai. I have unlocked Paladin, Ranger, and Samurai, and I purchased the Dream Team achievement which unlocked the assassin.

9. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm pretty sure you need to win as each of those classes, not just have them unlocked.

10. thesteamboat

thesteamboat Member

Mar 2, 2014
    In other words, congratulations on winning with monk and necromancer. :)

11. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's good to see this thread still hanging on as one of the hot games on TA; here's hoping a good proper review comes your way, Pete!

Also, still haven't beaten the game with any character. Yet. There's still this month, though.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That's right, TA has yet to review Dream Quest. Peculiar, considering the active thread, fan support, and highly positive Pocket Tactics review.

13. sabbato753

sabbato753 New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    It is weird that the game hasn't been reported on yet.

I, for one, am LOVING it. But I can't get past the second floor boss. Really, just about level 7 seems to be a break point for me with every character (have only unlocked samurai as a bonus so far). I'd love some tips if anyone has them (that don't require me to go through 37 pages!).

The original Microprose MTG (shandalar) was one of my favorite games of all time, so I've really been loving this. I normally don't buy a lot (especially more than $0.99) but after reading a few of the dev's replies here, I figured it money well spent. The ruthless difficulty has been fun, and I am a huge fan of the randomness involved. It has just been really hard for me to get past that second floor! (hence my figuring I missed something)

14. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    Have you read the PT strategy guide for the four base classes? Tips from the games Dev are never bad...

http://www.pockettactics.com/features/winning-ugly-still-winning-peter-whalens-guide-dream-quest/

15. kroner

kroner Member

May 25, 2014
    #395 kroner, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    I think through the beginning of floor 2 you can sort of get by on having some collection of relatively strong cards mixed into your deck. You trade blows with your opponents but they do little enough damage that you can sustain yourself on level ups and the healing on the map.

Then at around level 7 or so the enemies get mean enough that this is no longer enough. This is when you start to need some overarching theme to your deck, or else individual monsters (especially the floor 2 boss) will just kill you. The goal is to leverage synergies among the cards and make something stronger than the sum of its parts. For example some decks will use high damage spells to kill monsters in one or two turns, or draw many defensive cards every turn and out-sustain the incoming damage, or use particularly powerful equipment that works with the other cards in the deck to deal extra damage or draw extra cards.

What path you take obviously depends heavily on both your class and the cards you've been offered. The guide that snarvid just linked offers some ideas for deck themes, and you should also experiment to find styles that work for you. One piece of advice I can give is to start planning early on. If the floor 1 foundation of the deck is bad it often doesn't kill you until later on.

It's definitely a learning process. I was stuck with wizard at floor 2 for a while and it took me some time to figure out what a good wizard deck is supposed to look like.

16. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    @sabbato: Glad you're enjoying it! There's a bunch of strategy advice hidden in this thread (as well as the PT article), though it'll take some digging since the thread's gotten pretty big.

Re reviews: Would be great to get some more reviews. Someone linked me a recent French review earlier and I got a contact from another site this morning, but I'm mostly just happy we're still generating buzz. Also, I don't think I've said this enough, but you guys (all the Dream Quest fans) have been fantastic. I'm really grateful for all the feedback (both positive and negative) and for the general enthusiasm in this thread and elsewhere. So thank you all - this whole thing has been an awesome experience and it's largely due to all of you.

17. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Hi Peter!I wonder is there any bio things of Jasra or Jeremiad?

18. Heartcage

Heartcage New Member

Jun 10, 2014
    #398 Heartcage, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Thought it's too hard to complete final boss of dream quest ....
    But this mission completed !! I can't believe ,but it felt so good .
    I think Dragon's devour ability played one of keys to beat down last boss :)
    Also choosing right skills to make combos: drawing cards , multiple double damage ......
    If let me choose my favorite skill , I'll say : Wall of swords .
    It make lots of armor keep my alive many times even in very low life points !
    With dragon's tail , there nothing really hurt.

This is definitely a fun game with depth , I do enjoy it.
    Anyway , share my lucky with you all !

Attached Files:

19. kroner

kroner Member

May 25, 2014
  20. HumbleSloth

HumbleSloth Active Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Here is my input on the timer. I don't like it, and I think the reason is because there might be other things going on that take time away from playing your hand. E.g. Genie curses (I have seen the timer+curse combo) or decrees (I have not seen this combo, but I imagine the timer does not wait for you to hit okay on the decree before starting). The timer on ussuri doesn't bother me, and maybe that is because I can look at my hand during the opponent's turn and get ready. If that process is disrupted by another complicating factor it is too overwhelming.