Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    #361 Bullwinkle, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    An apparent bug: the Fire Elemental doesn't seem to take double damage from Frost Slash. EDIT: no, never mind, it's not a bug. The Monk turns all damage to piercing so I assume that's why it wasn't doubling the damage; it's not water anymore.

Also, I don't know if you caught it, LegendaryFerret, but another poster mentioned earlier that the Samurai's Fiery unlock disappeared after winning twice, similar to the problem with the Thief. It might be worthwhile to check all the flag conditions, if you haven't already.

2. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think I ran into a bug where I some how leveled twice; I think it has to do with the Lemonade shop where you can purchase XP. I think (but am not sure) that if you buy enough XP to level, that there is some case where you might level twice.

I'm fairly certain I level from 6->7 and 7->8 like this. I was Level 6, and nearly Level 7, so I bought 10XP to level up. I got the 'choose your reward' dialog for leveling to 7, and then immediately after, got the dialog for leveling to 8.

Yet to beat the game yet, but loving it to death so far. So much depth here with the deck building.

3. RollingSkull

RollingSkull Active Member

Jun 19, 2010
    #363 RollingSkull, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    Beat the game with Warrior and Thief but only 850'd the Warrior and not the Thief. Priest and Wizard are just pains in the ass. Too many things go wrong with the Wizard and the Priest can't be slower than the enemy's slow decks, nor tankier than their quick decks, nor quicker than their slow or quick decks. (Granted, luck is the biggest factor, but still...) Maddeningly, frustratingly addictive though.

4. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks - I've got both those bugs fixed in the next build.

5. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Got to thé final boss with warrior and wizard. Now on to the thief (not much success though - with warrior and wizard I had a very aggressive strategy but I don't see how I can deal 60+ damage with the thief - I guess I have to look for defensive measures to survive, my wizard had no defenses at all).

Great game!

6. Wehrwolf

Wehrwolf Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Coup de Grace is a good card for most thief builds.

7. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    A lot of the thief weapons help too, like the daggers etc.

8. RollingSkull

RollingSkull Active Member

Jun 19, 2010
    I just rocked the Wizard, scoring almost 500 damage in one turn though it took several tries. Shame I didn't have two turns of that but I'm just writing off that kill the boss cheevo as flat out impossible without insane luck.

Sick of getting card rot and double turn final boss.

The thief run that scored me the win was rocking a circle combo with loads of actions and whatever poison I could muster.

I will never drag the priest across the finish line. His options are all terrible and the enemy priests all have superior decks.

9. DieMyDarling

DieMyDarling Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I was just super close with the priest. Mana Swell+Mahamat is pretty ridiculous, and I was regularly drawing my entire deck into my hand every turn.

10. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Is mana swell the one that casts the next magic card twice? My priest that won the game had haste and 2 action cards that drew more cards out and that helped brought out nearly my entire hand every turn. Oh wait, just remembered that I posted my priest build a few pages back, the one which singlehandedly killed a hydra without any fire/earth magic... . ^_^

I'm having major troubles with the necromancer though... .

11. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    #371 snarvid, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    I believe I would have beaten the boss already with the necro if the game hadn't crashed. I've got nothing that would work against a timer boss, though, the necro requires long turns. Life Tap + Absorb Vis + Wall of Swords is amazing for the necro - with this combo, Absorb Vis reads as "draw 8 cards, THEN pay 20 mana, inflict 40 damage, and get 40 shields." When the boss fight crashes out on time I usually have over 300 points of shields while the boss has around 200 life. It's cause he's a stinky cheater and knows he's losing...

I think poison is also a viable strategy if integrated with Absorb Vis, since if you have a bunch of poison cards and can draw your whole deck then the doubling factor of Blight is pretty punchy. But I'm glad I'm running dual decks of wonder against Gifty Boss.

I think, reading this forum, I've learned 2 things:
    1. I don't understand how Equipment slots work.
    2. Peter is possessed by the ghost of Gary Gygax who is attempting to make an addictive IoS version of Tomb of Horrors.

Also - is there a way to look at all your unlocked cards? Sometimes I forget what cards are called and just think of them as cold 1 cold 2 cold 3, etc.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    #372 Bullwinkle, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Equipment slots allow you to start with equipment cards already in play, rather than having to draw them during the battle. If you have more equipment cards than slots, you can choose which ones start in play by looking at your deck in the dungeon (the book under your character portrait). You'll see the equipment currently assigned to the slots with bolded 'E's. Tapping on those will put equipment in/take them out of the slots.

I'm going to try your necromancer build, since I haven't had any luck with him otherwise. I can't figure out the monk or assassin, either.

13. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Nice game!:)

Some questions:
    I wonder is there a list of the order of resolving the damage modification effects? Don't know if I used the correct word, I mean the effects like "elemental resistant/immune", "physical reduction X", "resilience", "frost shield", "x more damage from each physical source" etc. This may not be always so important, but I just want to know more about it.

Besides, what would happen when both sides have frost shield(no water immune at the same time)?

Bug maybe:
    This one happened quite a while ago that I've lost most details..
    Sometimes it seems that I cannot activate the temporary attack cards duplicated by Scimitar, that means I cannot check its details by tapping, nor can I drag it into play. But by "play all", they can still be played.
    This happened after 1.05 update, but just a few times.

I'm not quite confidence in my English and hope I didn't confuse you:eek:

14. Wehrwolf

Wehrwolf Member

Jun 3, 2014
    While I don't know the answer to your questions, you have nothing to worry about regarding your English. :)

15. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Oh thank you, very nice of you Wehrwolf :)

16. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Finally managed to win last night using a ridiculous monk build that could draw its full deck every turn and had elemental shield + vapour form to be immune to all physical+elemental damage! along with various other sources of damage reduction and healing, and so was essentially invincible. My deck at the end: http://s28.postimg.org/i20glwqcd/photo.png

Weirdly though, I never found any good offensive cards so I had to kill everything using prayer of wrath and the basic poison action card. This meant that the fight against the pheonix at the end of floor 3 took about 20 minutes

Died to the end game boss though, who had the 'give me cards' thing

Also beat it with the warrior earlier today, with a less silly deck

17. HumbleSloth

HumbleSloth Active Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Ha, good one!

18. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    #378 Eriatarka, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    By the way, if anyone is still reading this thread who hasnt bought the game yet and is undecided about it, then message me your email address and I'll buy you it as a gift (will buy it for the first 5 people to PM me). This is one of the best games Ive played all year on any platform at any price point, and deserves as large an audience as possible.

19. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Re order of damage:
    Looking at the damage functions, this is the order (these names are my internal ones; hopefully they're understandable):
    Damage Multipliers
    Flat Damage (cruel, etc)
    Negative Flat Damage (frost)
    Elemental Immunity
    Elemental Resist
    Elemental Weakness
    Damage Reduction
    Forcefield (resilience)
    Reflect
    Armor
    Ward
    Mana Shield
    Vampirism

Re double frost shield: Just tested this - the damage bounces back and forth until one of the shields is cleared (and both characters shake a lot).

Re scimitars: I think this is fixed in the current build though it's hard to tell since it doesn't happen often. It was an artifact of a poor design decision a very long time ago that I cleaned up when I redid some of the memory stuff.

@Eriatarka: Nice deck! Also, that's an incredibly generous offer.

20. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Maybe bribe Eli with the money instead so that it gets a review here. I understand it did not get the apple design awards but it definitely should get more reviews - Peter, you have done something truly great here, I can't bring myself to play anything else.