Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. RollingSkull

RollingSkull Active Member

Jun 19, 2010
    To say dying frequently is a key concept in a roguelike is like saying rolling dice is the key concept of a board game. It misses the point.

I love Dream Quest a lot but I think the charge of some of the deaths being arbitrary is absolutely fair, especially given how vital the initial meta grind unlocks are to progress.

This simply is not Nethack or DCSS where you could beat both those games consecutively with clever play and all the outs you have.

But still, it is a testament to the simple mechanical joy of it, the delight of pruning a built deck and loading up on tasty new cards and all the other simple pleasures within that it is STILL fun to play despite that design.

2. DieMyDarling

DieMyDarling Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I've only beaten it once so far, with the Paladin. It's damn hard.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That auto card upgrading and healing skills sure come in handy.

4. pansori

pansori Member

May 24, 2014
    I have cleared the dungeon using all classes. I feel the advanced classes are easier than the basic ones, as they are generally more flexible in design.

I die more from ambushes than from regular combats now. Once you get familiar with enemy decks, you can to a extent expect what they are going to play in the next turn and plan accordingly, which greatly helps you to survive.

Have not unlocked the sublime achievement yet but feel the Monk class might be the key. I just won a game using Monk with only 5 cards in my deck. The number can certainly be further reduced.

5. nortikdos

nortikdos Member

May 15, 2014
    I've beaten it with all classes. I've gotten all achievements but the 300 gold one, 50 base mana one, and 4 of the reduce final boss to 850 ones. For the sublime one, the monk is obviously the one to do it with. Took about 10-15 runs to get the correct monastery spawn. Definitely need the preparation talent unlocked too.

My win rate on Floor 1 is probably around 90-95%. I don't know how to say this without being condescending: there are clearly a lot of things you are not realizing in the game that could help you win much, much more often. Here is some unsolicited advice.

When you get to floor 3 a couple of times, you realize some early game cards that you picked up are now bad -- especially on thief where you can sometimes be so combo-centric. So it is tempting to, on future runs, try to make a much tighter deck from the very beginning and only include the cards you liked from that Floor 3 run. This kind of mentality is both seductive and flawed.

In surfing, there is sort of a mantra that, if you want to get better at surfing, don't wait for that one big wave. Increase your 'wave count.' Often, after catching one awesome wave, you only paddle for ones that you think will be equally as awesome. Hence, you paddle for very few waves, and the few you do paddle for don't usually pan out. Meanwhile, someone else is paddling for every wave that they are in position for, and this not only makes them become a better surfer overall, but they usually are the ones that get on more big waves.

Here, I think the same applies. If you want to get farther in DQ, learn what cards and strategies are good to beat floor 1, and get consistent at beating floor 1. This allows you more practice on Floor 2 which is really the key to the game anyway. The Floor 2 boss is, in my opinion, the hardest, and the decisions you make on Floor 2 pretty much decide whether or not you will beat Floor 3. So don't focus on tuning your deck with Floor 3 in mind; first make sure you can beat Floor 1 almost every time; that's what will get you to where you can eventually beat Floor 3 -- and it will end up giving you more achievement points/run anyway. Who knows, maybe you'll even unlock the professor class by beating each of the 18 bosses.

Lastly, don't tunnel in on one strategy. I know that I used to go all in on the thief "circle circle circle jab jab jab sidestep dice" wombo combo since this was the first one that went all the way for me. This made my win rate very low because you often just don't get the right cards. Once I tried and learned other strategies that could also win, my win rate got much higher. Some examples of the diversity of thief strategies off the top of my head:

1) Wombo combo with dice.
    2) Strike + lots of actions.
    3) Jeremiad's bracer + dodge / shield / defense.
    4) Poison.
    5) Greatbow + alacrity / circle / jab / sunder and weakening effects.
    6) Jeremiad's Kris a.k.a. Half and half -- lots of strong attack cards mixed with the standard thief action cards where you cycle through your actions first, then your attack 1s all hit like a truck because of this kris.
    7) Darting Daggers and sidestep.

Often my deck evolves into some combination of these, but early on, I take the hand that is dealt to me rather than choosing a strategy beforehand. This allows you to take into account who you are up against which is incredibly important in shaping your deck.

6. ShaggyPKA

ShaggyPKA Active Member

May 16, 2013
    Hi Peter, really addicting game. Thanks for putting so much time into it. I'm having a blast. However, I noticed that the screen is still not optimized for the iphone 5 after the update. It looks like there's black screen on either side of the game. Can you add an update so that Dream Quest takes up the whole iphone 5 screen? It would help the eyes a bit. Other than that, awesome work. This is by far one of the best games I've played in a while.

7. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    It is not enough. I was in an epic final battle with the last boss and the game crashed twice, once with him around 600, one as low as 200. Anger!

That said, I really like the game. Even with the final boss stealing my whole damn deck now. Better than when he had time limits, though.

8. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could anyone having memory issues let me know where and what device? I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

9. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    4s. I'm having a very brilliant priest deck and I couldn't get past the hydra. Apparantly he couldn't handle a pure penance deck... . Game always crash after penance damage reaches 100+.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How the blank do you pull that off?

11. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    I am having so much fun with this game. The amount of content is amazing. I really think the dev got the balance right 9 times out of 10. Getting insight into the design philosophy just cements it. If you make another a game, I'm so buying it.

12. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pew pew, I'm kinda proud of this deck... . Mana swell is a great card for situational plays and the study-second wind is a fav combo of mine from the thief days... . The only thing now... is that I'm refusing to delete this game... XD I want to see how it fares against the big boss, and if I'm lucky I might be able to actually defeat him with this deck! I could* buy hemorrage just for the hydra, but I don't need it... . :/

13. mike32

mike32 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2011
    #313 mike32, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    I've got very frequent crashes since updating to 1.05. I'm using an iPod Touch 4.

The crashes were far less frequent with the previous update. Now I've got more than 5 crashes per run which is a little too much because you have to restart the game since the last save each time.

Those crashes happened when hitting the fight button or during a fight mostly.

14. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    #314 snarvid, Jun 1, 2014
    4s. Most recent game update is the only crashes I've had, and now I've crashed 4x against the final boss of the game, i think always during his turn. Have never been able to beat him or get him below 200 without a crash. I'm running dual decks of wonder and disorient, though, so it's really hard to know exactly what card interaction is the trigger. Other than that - I'm a necromancer and here's the deck.

Oh, and I'm drawing my whole deck every turn so I don't know if there's addition strain generated from that or from some card the boss plays that wants to look at my library and I don't have one. I also use Life Tap a lot on an empty library for Absorb Vis, maybe that's a problem. Or perhaps gifting him temporary cards from the Decks made him mad?

Attached Files:

15. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Welp bought Bh legacy and I thought i could substitute heroin for crack. Three days later and I'm already bored with it and here I am again playing this addicting , punishing yet satisfying game. Legacy is by no means a bad ( it is really really good ) game but it just dosent have what this has(maybe it's the stick figures who knows)

Anyway I'm really really hoping we get more classes and cards and what not. How about it Peter ?

16. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

Nov 22, 2011
    So I guess I'm not the only one :D

I don't think I've played any other ios game as much as Dream Quest. It just does so much right. Fingers crossed more content updates or a part 2 comes out in the future!

17. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
  18. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    Limmy - did you buy those achievements? That shouldn't be a problem - if it thinks you finished it there, you're still getting credit, but I'll make sure I fix that text in the next update.

For people with memory issues - thanks! I think some of the changes to the iphone/ipod touch interface had memory issues I wasn't expecting. I have a couple of ideas and we'll see if they help out. I'll probably ask for a couple of you to PM me so I can add you to testflight.

19. Lsmok

Lsmok New Member

Jun 1, 2014
    #319 Lsmok, Jun 1, 2014
    Frequent Crashes

First of all, let me congratulate the designer of Dream Quest for such a wonderful game. It reminds me of the good old games where the game didn't baby sit u till the final boss but instead crushed u :). There is still a lot of room for improvement which is also great (and no i am not talking about the graphics...I used to play with one pixel and the games where still great).

But after the last update, i have been experiencing frequent (very very frequent) crashes during the fights. I am "stuck" at the final boss because the fights take very long (on my last one the boss had 100 hp grrrrrr) and suddenly the game crashes.

I am using an Ipad 2 using the latest IOS version. I have the memory completly clean and even rebooted the Ipad twice to see if it fixed anything. Unfortunatly to no avail...

Hoping for a Hot fix for this very annoying crash-bug.

Cheers.

20. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    Lsmok - can you give me any more information about the crashes? You're getting very frequent crashes somewhere other than the final boss on an iPad 2? Can you give me any context?

As a note - I'm aware right now of three memory-type issues. There's a general issue on any device that long fights with the final boss will crash. There's a second issue that memory usage on low spec devices (iphone 4-, ipod touch 4-) went up a little and is now causing crashes on normal fights. There's also something strange going on with the hydra in super long fights, but that could be related to the final boss one. If you have a different crash, now's a good time to let me know!

I have a plan for each of these things, but it's going to take a little bit of time (plus the Apple review time).