Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. Xandrak

Xandrak Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Just bought it today and it's definitely fun. Any chance cloud saves are coming? I was playing on my iPad but would love to transfer it to my phone (without having to go through a computer).

2. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    No! That would be barbaric!

It's on the short list. My guess is it makes the next update, but I don't want to promise anything.

3. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Just a little something something, can you take away the timers when it comes to the final boss? It's really difficult when your character has a ton of cards to play and EVEN if you press play all, the cards interacting with your equipment still doesn't give you time to get it all out... .

4. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    #244 funambulist, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Can anyone specify what the Bard and Dragon classes do? I'm scrambling to save enough VP to buy at least one of them before the update :) and if I must choose between the two I would like to choose wisely.

Thank you.

P.S. the Professor btw is not only fun but an excellent way to "learn your monsters"...

5. alleyfoo

alleyfoo New Member

May 27, 2014
    Got to say that this game really got me be suprise. Did not expect much but got one of the deepest strategy game this genre has to offer. Please dont be scared by the graphics. This is one of the deepest rogue experiences available. 5 stars.

6. kroner

kroner Member

May 25, 2014
  7. tamykatakki

tamykatakki Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    So I bought the master thief talent using points. How on earth do I activate it? I've reached level 3 and still am unable to pick it. Is it only for the thief class or for all classes? :confused:

8. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    It's a level 10 talent, so you can choose it then.

Bard is a jack-of-all trades. She gets cards from all the different classes as well as some very useful bonus abilities in the form of songs. You can make some completely absurd combos that way, but also some very unfocused decks.

Dragon is a rampaging behemoth of destruction. It plays very differently (and much more chaotically) than any of the base classes and I don't want to spoil exactly the ways since that's part of the fun. I find it's fun a couple of times, then gets kind of boring.

If it were me, I'd pick up Dragon. Bard is a much easier unlock (I think) and plays more similarly to the base classes. Dragon is basically unique and is certainly worth experiencing.

9. tamykatakki

tamykatakki Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Ah that would explain it! Highest level I've been is 9 on floor 3. Back to obsessively playing then till I win this thing :)

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
  11. KireiG

KireiG New Member

May 28, 2014
    Some guys just encountered “No Boss” bug

Attached Files:

12. LegendaryFerret

Dec 22, 2009
    I think I just fixed it. A little hard to tell since it's so rare, but we'll see. Should be in the next update.

Thanks!

13. wfsm

wfsm Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Programmer
    Shanghai, China
    After reading your post and the review on Pocket Tactics, I want to give this game a try. I think not many players like me in my country(China) will pay for this game.

14. KireiG

KireiG New Member

May 28, 2014
    Good job!

Cant wait to get an update lol

15. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi

although I have already beaten the third level boss once (wow was I lucky, maybe my 15th run, I hardly get to level three ever since, warrior with permanently equipped swords and poison daggers two of each and lots of slashes), I have some questions:

How do you use the Gauss hourglass ? I mean in which situation would it be beneficial?

And what about the guy that likes some cards and dislikes others - all I ever managed was get curses...

16. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    I hate hate hate the Sphinx and I've never attempted to fight her nor have I won her much (maybe 1 out of 10 tries, so I never bother trying)... . I think it's too annoying and difficult... .

17. nortikdos

nortikdos Member

May 15, 2014
    How Gauss' hourglass works: if there are no cards in play at the end of your turn, you draw cards until your hand size is twice the original size.

Example: you normally draw 4 cards/turn. You play an equipment, you play a prayer, you discard an attack 1, and you keep 1 card in hand. At the end of your turn, since the prayer and equipment are not in play (they are in their own special zones), you will draw 7 cards.

I can't remember exactly how it works if you had more than twice your original hand size in hand already... Anyone know?

How I think it is best used:

1) when you have a sword/poison dagger and you're only drawing 3 cards per turn. 3 attack cards is only 1 sword activation, but 6 attack cards is 3 activations. So I would discard my weaker / non attack cards, let hourglass go off, and have next turn that would be more powerful than 2 separate turns.

2) when you have a lot of trash in your deck -- curses, attack 1s that you couldn't get rid of, etc... this lets you 'cycle them' in a sense.

3) when you need a lot of cards in play to combo -- eg. dice, backstab, etc...

I feel ya... I used to have the mantra "Don't fight the Sphinx." However, now that I've learned how to fight her, she's actually not too bad. Fighting her really is a mini game in itself. There are some decks that should avoid her, but not as many as you think. The general strategy that I use is this:

Use her "Teach" ability to get specific card types in your hand that you don't use in your deck -- eg. if you're warrior, get her to teach you a few spells so that they are at least half your hand. Now the important part is you need to keep those in your hand. This will allow you to at least play a few cards every turn/every other turn.

Moreover, equipment, prayers, and mana cards are always allowed and don't count as any card type. You can use this to your advantage both by obviously playing these cards as well as keeping them in your hand to keep the card type count as the right number.

Once you fight her enough, you start to recognize specific cards as being insane against her -- eg. Penance, Darting Daggers, Fire Shape, ... -- and that can allow you to prioritize them a little higher. Being able to beat her is important to your overall power level since she is quite common and you are missing out on a lot of exp/gold in your runs by avoiding her.

On the other hand, there are a few very linear decks that only have 1 card type AND need to play lots of those cards each turn to be effective. But the sphinx doesn't have tons of HP or damage, so it's actually not too hard to beat her. You just really need to go into it with a plan and wisely take advantage of when she casts Teach.

18. pansori

pansori Member

May 24, 2014
    Give him the cards he likes he will give you better cards in exchange.
    If you give him something that satisfies both the like and dislike criteria, he might give you curses, so be careful.

19. kroner

kroner Member

May 25, 2014
    After your normal draw phase, it makes you draw extra cards equal to your normal hand size. So if you have a lot of cards in hand already, you don't draw anymore during your draw phase but you still get the extras.

20. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    Come to think of it, everytime I bump into her, I only draw 3 cards per turn, and that is just plain unfair. Maybe I haven't tried using much of the other classes yet, as she generally destroys the thief.