Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. thesteamboat

thesteamboat Member

Mar 2, 2014
    penance is extremely effective against Phoenix everything.

Provided you don't, y'know, die. :)

2. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I had a thief deck whereby I had 2 penance and then cycled the whole deck out every turn w dodge and stoneskin plus mana cards that helps block damage. XD It was a very small deck.

3. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    yeah I'll try that. It had this ability though where I would kill it and it would come back to life angry which meant it would outdraw me by two or three cards a turn. Did that happen to you. ?

4. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Every class is good so far although I feel I'm starting to pull towards the preist the most who I hated at the beginning. he's got some cool combos. What do you guys think?

Oh and does anyone think the game is a good balance wise or does it need to be tweaked ?

5. thesteamboat

thesteamboat Member

Mar 2, 2014
    The angry thing happens when the fight goes long. Past a certain point the monsters start drawing more and more cards. It's not Phoenix specific, but it means your fight was taking too long. Peter thoughtfully provided it so you didn't stall out and have to surrender. :D

6. Jenman

Jenman Well-Known Member

May 26, 2014
    Been playing the Professor a ton, you can get into some really interesting situations against the bosses. The last time I fought the Phoenix it was the third floor boss. I had a shock totem, a vampire sword and some other miscellaneous equipment. By the end of the fight the totem was basically two-shotting the Phoenix every time it resurrected.

Another time I stole Slurp from the Gelatinous Cube and due to it activating far more often than it should, we ate all of each other's non-reaction cards.

7. pansori

pansori Member

May 24, 2014
    Reached the same situation with the green cube. ;)

8. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    #228 LegendaryFerret, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Oh, good catch - that's really clever. The Lord of the Dream only counts a victory if he's reduced to 0 health. I just changed the description to reflect that and will update it in the next update. Sorry about that - if I could give you the achievement I would; that was nicely played.

On a card list - it's on my list of things I'd like to do. I'm not sure it'll happen for this update and I think it'd only show cards you've acquired. There are some technical reasons it's not in right now, but I think it'd be useful enough to try and figure those out.

On tracking stats beyond the achievements - sure! I can probably do that for the next update.

Current list of things that would be cool:
    Card list
    Track stats beyond achievements
    Toggle music and sound effects independently
    iCloud support
    Deck button on level up page

9. pansori

pansori Member

May 24, 2014
    In this situation Exhaustion card would be handy.

The monster with Haste Totem also draws lots of additional cards as the turn counter increases... a real disaster if you fail to kill it in the first few turns :mad:

10. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Rofl, sounds like you guys are having a ton of fun w the professor! By the way, got to the final and crashed multiple times while fighting against the final boss again. By the way, I did not understand the powers of the final boss whereby my action cards get randomly changed? What's the logic here?

Here's a link of my deck:
    http://imgur.com/mSXgwMg

I'll try to get testflight working when I get the time! @pete

11. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This game is pretty great. Lost about 20 hours into it, which is by far the most I've played any game on iOS.
    If you took this very same game, plugged in new graphics and tweaked UI, threw a '2' or a 'HD' or '+' at the end of the title and charged me $5 I would pretty much buy it on the spot.
    Just saying. ;)

12. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi,

Could someone explain what exactly happens when you resurrect using 500 points regarding score and achievements? I did it only once and I had the feeling that I still got points for the progress and unlocked achievements and classes - maybe because I beat the third level boss in that run??? It seemed there is downside to resurrecting except spending points?

13. LegendaryFerret

LegendaryFerret Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    #233 LegendaryFerret, May 26, 2014
    Hopefully the memory reduction in the new update will help. I tried your deck on an iPhone4 without any trouble, so we'll see.

One of the final boss powers (if you click on him, you can see which powers he has) is to make your cards decay when you play them. They turn into a usually similar, lower power card.

Edit:
    @Hpmor: It just means that anything you did in between the checkpoint (level up/floor descent) and your death doesn't count (because you now get to do them again). There were some weird exploits involving repeatedly doing some specific things and then surrendering and restarting to do them again that I want to avoid. The only real cost to restarting is intended to be the points you spend.

14. Grudunza

Grudunza Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    This game is fantastic, and the cheapo art became endearing pretty quickly, though I'll admit that it seems to be a better fit for iPhone than iPad. Something about the smaller size of the iPhone seems to make a more "homemade" looking game work better. Regardless, I love it.

Haven't beat a dungeon yet, but this morning I fought with Boss 3 for the first time ever, losing after killing the Phoenix once (eggs remaining, of course).

Dare I ask... is there a squirrel to eat?

15. DieMyDarling

DieMyDarling Member

Jul 18, 2012
    How are you supposed to beat the Phoenix? I've played this over 100 times and I still can't figure it out.

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed I freaking love this game, matter of fact anything I see with this devs name on it will get bought by me.

17. Cairn

Cairn Member

May 20, 2014
    #237 Cairn, May 26, 2014
    Okay, the rule for the phoenix is that if you kill the bird, that same turn he becomes an egg. However much damage you do to the egg, the phoenix comes back the following turn with full health, but the next time you see the egg form it has as much health as it did at the end of it's last egg form turn.

Two strategies are possible:
    1. Get the phoenix (bird) down to almost zero, then wait and don't do anything damaging to it until you get a really good hand. Then go ham. This works well for the high dps classes.

2. Do damage to the phoenix until he's in egg, do a little bit of damage in the egg form, and just keep doing it until he's dead. Seems to work well for classes that can heal/sustain pretty well, but have terrible burst damage.

I think there's something like these tips in the bestiary, which is how I originally figured it out. I think you can access the bestiary either from the main menu or from the menu button at the top right of the page when you're in the labyrinth.

There are a couple of youtube videos out there of Dream Quest runs, and I think at least one I saw last night had a successful phoenix fight.

18. melocoman

melocoman Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    >comes out with flappy bird clone

19. DieMyDarling

DieMyDarling Member

Jul 18, 2012
    That's a lot of good advice. Thank you!

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Except for that lol