Universal Dream of Pixels - (by Dawn of Play)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 14, 2012.

1. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I'm really enjoying this too. I loved the graphics, but didn't really get the gameplay from the description. When I played the demo the mechanism clicked. Really cool, it's like Tetris, but also completely different.
    I agree about the local highscores and am glad that that will come in an update.

2. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I almost overlooked this one, which would have been a disaster. I saw someone mumble about this game, and then I saw the word Tetris... sold. Thoroughly enjoying this game.

My one complaint, and maybe I'm alone on this, but that icon is so bland. The game looks great. The watercolor (or whatever it's called) style is really cool. But that icon of the giant green block... that's partially why originally I didn't give it a second look.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nice one! Right where it should be. :p

4. DawnOfPlay

DawnOfPlay Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    TOP #78 iPhone app, US App Store, right now! TOP #79 iPad!

[​IMG]

Ok, yeah, this is photoshoped LOL but TRUE nonetheless! :D

THANKS GUYS! THANK YOU ALL!

Man, this release party we're having right now in the office, is just taking off like crazy! :D

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Who's to say this isn't all just a dream? WAKE UP! ;)

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Could you please provide a list of the names of the songs in your game? It will make it easier to hunt them down. Thanks!

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #47 Vovin, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    ... wow.

I've never seen such thankful, cheerful and totally excited devs before!

That's really cool - so, damn, why did you give me that DAMN promo code??? :D
    I'd have payed 3 bucks for this easily, just to support you great guys. :)

8. Fractalrock

Fractalrock Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I have to respectfully disagree. I'm loving the icon. I think it has a classic look to it and I think this game is definetly going to be a classic. Staying on my device that's for sure. To the dev's, congrats on making such an amazing game

9. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    +1 I agree with you

10. Kubaton

Kubaton Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Louisiana, USA
    As mentioned earlier, I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. It's an amazing game!

11. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I love the watercolor style of the icon. I just think it's wasted on it just being a giant green cube. Eh, whatever. It really was my only criticism, and a pretty small one at that. Everything else is great:)

12. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Seriously, it slipped off completely off our TODO list until now, so thanks for reminding me to put up that Soundtrack section up on the website! :D

And so I've just been coding HTML (well, HAML, actually, but who cares!) for the past hour and compressing songs, formatting the tracks list and links and .. and .. here it is:

http://dawnofplay.com/DreamOfPixels/soundtrack.html

Cheers!

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #53 drelbs, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    There was a similar debate in the Girls Love Robots thread - the original icon was of one of the girls from the game and it was a perfect fit.

But - it didn't stand out so well in the app store - the developer went and replaced it with a 3D realistic depiction of the robot.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I can see turtlerunner's point - the icon makes me think of Minecraft, and then a fuzzy cube. Had I not been following this game beforehand, I'm not sure if I'd have identified with it as quickly.

14. mintyray

mintyray Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    This game is awesome. I've been recommending this game to everyone, but yeah, the icon looks pretty bland. I didn't bother check it out at first until I saw my friend playing.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How hard would it be to show a close up of say an "L" shape just as it is being removed from a wall above in the game's cool kaleidescope of colors?

16. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Actually, we tried as much as we could to avoid Tetris pieces on the icon.

But, we're listening to your suggestions, keep them coming!

17. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Dream of Pixels is New and Noteworthy on US App Store in iPad Games! \o/

And with amazing ratings! And I know exactly who to thank for those!!! :D

THANK YOU!

[​IMG]

18. bonesquad

bonesquad Member

Jan 15, 2012
    This really is a great puzzle game. I'm a huge tetris fan and was waiting for iOS's tetris/meteos/lumines. And you know what? It's an even better game now that I can hear the music! :D

I'm not sure if it's Songza or bad luck. I stopped playing music in Songza before I went to open DoP, and for some reason the music in DoP never started. I could hear sound effects so I didn't think anything of it. An hour later I was like, huh. :confused: I had to kill both Songza and DoP in the task bar, but I now have music!

No matter. I'll probably listen to a podcast next time I play (sorry!). I think it was mentioned, but my biggest suggestion would be to add a local top score table. So say if I missed my top score I could still go yes! I got my 4th best score ever! And not feel too bad.:cool:

19. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    It's a really good puzzle game. I especially like the puzzle section because it is relaxing and so "zen". I think this game is perfectly fit for my iphone (instead of my ipad), and belong to the same folder as Tichu, Pathpix, and Colorbind. Love it!!!

And yeah, I thought this game is minecraft-like when I see the icon, but maybe it's just me. At least I like the icon!!

20. Fuzzyaardvark

Fuzzyaardvark Active Member

Dec 24, 2011
    UK
    I agree with people that the icon is very Minecrafty. There. That is the only thing I could think to complain about, and I don't even care about that.

I very rarely post but I just had to in this case. I needed to say how much I love this game. I was up playing it until 2 am and had to force myself to stop.

Amazing game. Love it.