Universal Dream of Pixels - (by Dawn of Play)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 14, 2012.

1. DawnOfPlay

DawnOfPlay Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Climbing the charts!

Guys, you rock!

Dream of Pixels is already breaking into the TOP 200 in the US App Store! :D

Crazy!

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That's awesome. I've never been the biggest Tetris fan in the world, but the overwhelming positivity in this thread and the TA review were very, very convincing. :)

Oh, and Monkey Labour's been on my phone since launch, so yeah...big Dawn of Play fan here!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have to say i am very impressed with this one. The reverse tetris mechanics are flawlessly implemented, and so are the specials and the other mechanics. Nonetheless, this is as addictive as the grandaddy of block puzzles.

This plays perfectly on the larger screen of the ipad too, so if you have both an ipad and either a phone or a itouch, i suggest playing this on the ipad.

No non-match-3 iOS block puzzle has captured me yet until Dream of Pixels. It's too good for a game, and it looks like I have a pick for my GotW. :)

This game is highly recommended.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I told ya.

5. kalel39

kalel39 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Im glad a video of the tutorial was posted, that helped make up my mind to get this game. Games look like fun, looking forward to playing it tonight.

Thanks

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Amazing game. One of the best puzzle games out there. Easily.
    Everything just clicks perfectly into place! Love it.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Unless some big surprise comes, this will easily be my GoTW. But I sometimes feell like Gabrien in that there's sometimes a piece that I don't understand why it won't turn a certain way. Seems like I only have the issue on the L shaped pieces. Probably a game mechanic that I'm not getting, but seems like in standard versions of Tetris, they would turn in the way that sometimes is missing.

Otherwise, I can't say enough about how addicting and enjoyable this game is.

8. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Thanks! Thanks a lot!

To you and all, please, it would be of much help if you can catch any/one of those in a screenshot and post it here, and we'll do explanations - OR - we'll make a TODO note for an update! :)

Thanks!

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

Hey Guys,

This game is AMAZING! Great concept, modes, and presentation to be sure!

All that being said, I still manage to have a few very minor whines I'm hoping you can add to your Update Todo list:

1) Please allow me to turn off music separately from sound effects. The music in the game is GREAT, but I usually have podcasts, TV, or other music playing when I do games and it can really be annoying with both playing together at once (although I do gather some of the very cool atmospheric sounds probably are part of the music track, i.e. not a super clear line where the music ends and the game sound effects start.

2) This is a big personal pet peeve of mine, at the end of game screen I need to see my local top score in that mode. Having that GC link right there is nice but does me little good when playing offline. Did I just break my previous top score in this mode? Who knows?

3) While I think the white out is a very clever effect and I gather that sometimes it seems to hang there way to long probably relates to there still being some possible moves you can make behind the veil, I wish somewhere you could include a "fast forward/skip to end game screen" like button. I swear I thought the game glitched out on me the first time it ended, "Aww crap, I'm stuck on some white screen, need to quit out!".

10. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Thanks a LOT, so good to hear!

Sure will, thanks! :)

Ok, this one is easy. just open the Settings app (the home screen one) and find DreamPixels, there's a separate slider for both Music and Sound FX. Just turn the Music slider way down - and - Voila! :)

Ah, yeah, we had that on TODO, but it didn't make it into this build! Next update, for sure! :)

Ok, yeah, glitched out on me once, been stuck on the white screen for about 5 seconds (One time, and no way I can repeat that! :p), should be a second or two, and yeah, until it's completely white, you can totally continue playing! :)
    But, yeah, we'll definitely think about the skip option - good idea! Thanks!

11. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Loving the game! Seriously, it's awesome!

My only thing, as mentioned above, we need our local high scores while scrolling through the game modes and it would also be cool in game, like on the top of the screen or something..

12. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    \o/ Thanks!!

"Got it!", we says, and vote up that TODO note for the next update. :)

13. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Highly recommended!

14. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I've been waiting for this game since I saw it on Kotaku, it looked awesome then, looks even more awesome now. :)

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #35 ColeDaddy, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    Wow. This game is easily the Game of the Week. It implements such a creative twist and presents it in a deceptively meditative manner that easily captivates one's imagination and captures every free moment in a day. Bravo!

Edit: Can the soundtrack be purchased?

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yup... can't really add anything to what's already been said. I'm REALLY enjoying this one. A LOT more than I thought I would. The trailer didn't really have me totally convinced... but I've been a huge Tetris fan since I was a youngin, and with it only being a buck, I figured screw it... can't be any worse than Beatdown or Verticus... and I'm so glad I snagged it. It's a steal at 99 cents, with 5 modes (though 3 of em are the same - just with varriying difficulties - or is Nightmare Mode not??) - GC boards, achievements, universal...

This is easily in my top 3 favorite releases of the month so far. Great job guys! =oD

17. absenthanded

absenthanded Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Music in credits

This is a great game, I've enjoyed the half hour or so I've put into it so far. It's very polished.

I just found a cool little feature in the credits. When the credits for the soundtrack are scrolling by, you can touch the name of any of the tracks and they begin to play. I wish all games would do that in their credits!

Anyway, I thought that was one more nice little touch. :)

18. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

THANKS!

\o/ no. :D It can be downloaded for FREE! :D

There are links in the Credits to all of the artists, also here on the web:
    http://dawnofplay.com/DreamOfPixels/press.html#credits

Also, direct link to download New Wave Syria music is here.

Yanoosh and Leemajik have their music up on soundcloud here and here.

And Jukeen has his latest album available to download here or buy it here, if you want! :)

THANK YOU!

Guys, you rock! Thanks for all the amazingly positive comments, you're really making our year and a half of work worthwhile!!

19. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Finally downloading the game now the App Store is back up. Can't pass this one up given all of the great reviews and feedback. Plus my partner in crime, qpawn, highly recommends the game. Maybe I'll see if I can't knock him out of the #1 spot. :)

20. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    Congratulations to the developers.

You just made a MUCH BETTER version of tetris for touch screens. Its highly polished and really sexy and good looking. It even include several game modes. Seriously good job guys!