Universal Dream Machine : The Game (by GameDigits Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Deleted, world 4 has too many bugs, shame the game was great fun, but not as great as MV, MV was magical and this game is slightly less also because of the bugs.

2. Lol. Almost, but not quite. They were pretty tedious for me, though. Even the last one -- took me a half hour even though there were no deaths. #

3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Roger-NL & AppUNwrapper,

I was about to start on the game but then read notes of cautionary tales from both of you. Are these game-breaking bugs that prevent you from completing the levels?

4. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    It's only in world 4, but if you restart a level in world 4 the bug is gone, but I hate bugs so could not play further, it's a shame because the game is almost as good as Monument Valley.

I say just play the first three worlds the boss battles are great.

5. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    That's a shame, world 4 was my favorite. I didn't encounter any bugs on first playthrough but I suppose I was lucky since I ran into a few the second time I played those levels.

6. I was able to complete the game, so I guess I wouldn't call them game-breaking bugs. But it does some weird stuff, especially when you're still working out what exactly you should be doing next.

You need a lot more patience for it than for MV, since there's a fail state and the controls are more complicated. The controls can also be a bit wonky at times.

7. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    How long does it take to finish for an average person?

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #68 y2kmp3, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    My experience with this game differed markedly from that of AppUNwrapper.

I waited until now to play the game because of the difficult boss battles and numerous bugs reported in previous posts.

To the contrary, while I found the boss battles to be tricky, I did not find them excessively taxing or unfairly frustrating. For the World 2 boss, once I recognized the pattern of where the ball would land, it was pretty easy to work out a path to get to all of the pressure pads and avoid the bouncing balls with ease. For the World 3 boss, once I figured out the safe zones, it was again easy to time my moves so that I would survive no matter what color of the cubes I got. It is true that the run may be a tad slower if a player is getting a long chain of cubes of the same color. However, in the instance where this happened to me, I was able leverage this to my advantage so to still make progress on the level.

I am unsure if this is because I am playing v1.1 of the game instead of the initial v1.0 release. Given that AppUNwrapper is an amazing player, I can only assume that the developer has significantly rebalanced the game between v1.1 and v.10 so that the new version is now very playable.

This may sound strange, but I think it actually took less time to finish this game than to finish Monument Valley.

9. I haven't played since the update, but I did give the developers some feedback before the update and it's possible they improved things I complained about (I saw something about the crank controls being improved, the monkey boss -- I told them I was getting 5 in a row of the same color), as well as a bunch of bugs I encountered.

For the monkey, the only safe zones I know of are the gray areas connected to the crank. I had moments where I was just on the edge of it and still got electrocuted, so I chose not to push my luck, play it safe and wait for the right colors to come up.

I had a lot of trouble with the cranks when I played -- if I didn't make a big enough circle with my finger, they wouldn't turn in the direction I wanted. So that was a big issue for me with the level 2 boss.

And I don't know that I would be considered and "amazing" player. :p In general, I wasn't a big fan of having so many things to control at once while dealing with a fail state. I prefer more laid back, logic puzzles over fast reflex games. While it might have been less original, I think I would have preferred the tap-to-move controls that MV has over the auto-running and tap-to-pause/turn we got here.

10. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    You are speaking my language! Yeah! Hehe...

11. Oh I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I got so angry at the chapter 2 boss was because I wrongly assumed that the blue buttons each got rid of a ball. In hindsight, it makes no sense, but I don't think we saw those buttons before? So I thought my goal was to get to each button, turn off the balls, and then climb up to the head, maybe climb in his mouth? I have no idea why that would be, but that's what I thought. So when I did that and a ball came out and killed me, I nearly threw my phone against the wall. I didn't realize until then that the blue buttons were bringing the exit close to the path and that I had to climb back down to it.