Universal Dream Machine : The Game (by GameDigits Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 9, 2016.

1. David1886

David1886 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Bought and can't wait to play this game!

2. Samulaan

Samulaan Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Bali
    All car games are clones, because, well, tires and sht. Only the first car game ever deserves to have been made, all the car games that came after that are just unoriginal copy cats, mmmkay?! For real though Monument valley was really nice, this was instabuy and this genre isn't over saturated yet since the creators have to actually have brains. I don't think we will see cheap clones in this category of puzzles soon, (would like to see ketchapp try though).

3. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    For the record I was the first one to use the word "clone" in reference to this game, I just wanted to say I have played and enjoyed a good bit of it before I made my initial comment. My original point is that I would have appreciated if such great design work had been put toward a game with original artwork. Mechanics are similar and of course that's just part of how games work, they build on each other. but the artwork is just too close for me. I can still appreciate this game and regret how obviously it's taken from something else.
    Anyway I like that this conversation is being had because I think it's important that mobile games get credit for being unique IP and respected for it. My only point is that there should be a line somewhere, not just when 2048 becomes so successful they need to be sued or whatever happened with threes! Last year.

4. #44 AppUnwrapper, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Starting to really hate this game. Been trying to beat the second boss for what feels like 2 hours now.

Edit: Finally got it. Not a fan of the controls in the game. It'd be fine if you didn't have to turn on a dime. But there are so many variables, I sometimes accidentally stop him instead of turning him, etc. Very unforgiving game.

5. bhornburg

bhornburg Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Even though it borrows some aesthetics and level design from Monument Valley, the gameplay is very much it's own. It's a little clunky at first, monument valley had such a clean simple design. However, there's actually a lot more interaction from the play in this game. Also, the environments in this game actually tie into the narrative subtly but enough to make it feel like you're traveling through a world. Kudos to the art team! Very pleasing to look at :D

6. Chapter 3 is so much more my speed (so far). I could really do without the myriad deaths from chapter 2. Maybe that chapter should have been later in the game?

7. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Instabuy, with that art, beautiful. I'll probably get around to playing in 2017.

8. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Appunwrapper:
    you will never have to worry about where the balls bounce. There is a strategy to always be on the safe side of the level.
    Oops, my reply was too late.
    Anyhow, wait till you reach chapter four!!

9. Thanks -- I know about that already. I was trying to figure out if there was a pattern to the bouncing so if I couldn't move in time (I really don't like the cranks -- I spend too much time battling the controls when I need to turn on a dime), I can at least stop and let them go over my head. But couldn't find a sure way of telling where they bounce. Took me sooooo many tries to complete that level.

Edit: Oh boy. Now I'm not looking forward to Ch. 4. :p

10. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Oh no, I meant that chapter four is great! I don't think there are any dangerous elements there. I was referring to you saying chapter 3 was more your speed. My bad.

11. Oh cool. :) Still an odd choice to have such a hard section as chapter 2, then. I was close to giving up on that boss.

12. Holy mother of god. The chapter 3 boss took me NINE minutes because I kept getting 5 in a row of the same color. :/

13. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Wow, really? I thought they would've coded to prevent stuff like that happening. I never got a colour more than 3 times in a row and even that was a super rare event, only happened once in my two times playing through it.

14. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just got the second world boss, great boss level.

15. izoong

izoong Member

Mar 13, 2010
    #55 izoong, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Nice but not great

I have to say it first, I love monument valley. I mean, really really love it.

This one is nicely done. I don't want to go in a fighting about copying/inspirational...The fact is this game wouldn't come alive without MV first. And it is great DM came out. I love to get a second game with this mechanics.

In my opinion this game didn't get the "whoa" feeling of MV not only because it is a kind of a sequel, with an art design may be a little to much like the MV one, but also because it lack this little spark of magic MV have. Let say it ; poor storytelling and immersive world. Your robot is a no name character, a cute one, but generic. he meets no one but other generic counterpart. and he walk through levels, but not that much of a univers. Really great levels, well designed and fun to play. Great puzzle escherist toys. But not that much of a strange world you have to discover. DM makes me feel like a player and not an adventurer. Ok I'm a MV lover, this DM is equally enjoyable. But I miss the magic.

16. Yeah, I would have thought so, too. But I was doing so well on that run, I didn't want to start over.

Personally, I would have preferred it with MV's movement instead of as an auto-runner. Chapter 4 has interesting stuff, but I've been encountering a slew of bugs, including the robot floating in air when I rotate the crank. If it was tap-to-move instead, I think a lot of these bugs could have been avoided.

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Thought this was alright until the time element was introduced. I despise time pressure in games.

Maybe they will introduce an untimed casual mode at some point. Otherwise, I have other things to play.

18. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I agree 100%. DM is not as good as MV, but it's the best Monument Valley-like around.

19. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    The boss levels are annoying as trump.

20. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Impossible.