Universal Dream Machine : The Game (by GameDigits Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#21 Sanuku, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Looks great! Premium no IAP, apparent high production values, and only $.99?... Instabuy!

3. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Lol, Monumentum Valley. That would have been a great name for this game considering the auto running elements.

4. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    #24 stelluhreyesthis, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    I know it's widely accepted in the mobile industry butIt seems that this games main draw is that it looks Exactly like another game. Not the only one released today that the word clone could be thrown around with. I understand it's hard to get a game out there, but design something original. This game may be well made and well designed, and based on my experience playing a few levels and the comments in this thread, it is. But how much of that praise is owed to the people at ustwo? I just don't understand why this is so accepted on mobile. Either way this is a good game, so if your bored...

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Personally, I think it's harder to take risks on mobile unless you've already got a dedicated fan base. Until the pricing goes up and more developers can actually recoup costs, I'm going have a hard time finding developers at fault for this, unless they don't add anything of their own to the game... I did play the first two stages, but already I'd say that they have definitely added their own things here...

Just me though... I do get it rubbing you the wrong way though... I generally don't bite at this type of blatant copy of another games general aesthetic when it's on Steam/PC, but only because they're asking $10-$20 for the game, and I guess I hope for a little more... Involvement... From the developers; on all fronts, not just graphics.

6. badjester42

badjester42 New Member

May 15, 2014
    This is a good game. It's like a darker Monument Valley that you can die in. It starts out pretty easy but then gets harder after the first chapter. One kind of nitpick I've noticed is turning the wheels is a little bit touchy, and landscape mode is not well optimized. Other than that so far I like it, but be weary of the difficulty.

7. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I don't want to play the devil, but it's good for innovation if you clone something and make it better.

Better goes usually not hand in hand with cloning. So that's rare.

8. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I think the word clone gets thrown around too much these days. I commented near the start of this thread that several games (e.g. Skyward, Hocus, etc) have been called clones simply for aesthetics. This game actually does use similar mechanics to MV, hence my comparison to that game.
    But I don't think this game is a clone. This game stands on its own.
    You ask how much this game owes to ustwo. I don't think it's our position to say how much the creators of this game took from that. Do all platformers owe credit to the earliest platform games even if they have better level design?
    Creative concepts become widespread after a short period of time. Connected anthologies in literature were once groundbreaking (Cloud Atlas). Now they are commonplace.
    Non-Euclidean geometry is something I am glad is being utilised more these days. It will be used again and again. This game is a great implementation of it, with level design that is IMO better than MV.
    I'll see this game for what it is; a great game. Monument valley is also a great game. Neither take away from the other. Not everything has to be groundbreaking; sometimes it takes one to introduce a concept, and another to flesh it out to greater heights. There are blatant clones, there are games where clearly a lot of work has been done to expand on previously used ideas. This game is the latter, and I think similarities to existing things shouldn't take away from the value of this.

9. TouchOne

TouchOne New Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Cheap Copy

:mad::mad::mad:

10. Trentos

Trentos Active Member

May 19, 2012
    Draftsperson
    Melbourne, Australia
    A video game clone is either a video game (or series) which is very similar to or heavily inspired by a previous popular game or series. It also applies to a third-party remake of a video game console.
    Source: Wikipedia

The game doesn't have to be identical to another to be considered a clone. I think clone is definitely the most appropriate single word to use here when comparing Dream Machine: The Game to ustwo's Monument Valley. It doesn't prevent this game from being good because it's a winning formula and I think the developers owe a great amount of gratitude and thanks to ustwo. I think they should even write as much in their game description if Apple allows it. Without MV, this game may never have been created or even look and play the way it does.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yo, no offense to anyone, but could the guys calling this a clone please take the time to watch a video of the game or actually play it themselves before saying its a clone? The mechanics are VASTLY different, you can die, you're constantly moving and a billion other things that don't happen in MV. Saying Dream Machine needs to pay its respect to Monument Valley in its app description is as nonsensical as saying that Monument Valley needs to thank Escher in its app description too. Without Escher's Art, Monument Valley would not exist.

Look, I love MV more than any of you do (and was jokingly dubbed Ida's godfather by the ustwo folk), but these games can co-exist. I repeat that.

At the end of the day, if you dismiss this for being a clone, it's your loss. There's some down-right brilliant level design in this game and you'd be a fool to miss it.

12. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Looks nicely done, btw there is another one coming up called Evo Explores. *

http://stampedegames.net

* not affliated in anyway

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Looks good and interesting too.

14. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Can someone comment on the timer and how the time is related, if any, to the number of cogs you get? Is there an advantage of doing a level as fast as you can (which means you simply "redo" a puzzle over and over again just to get a faster time)?

15. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #35 TheGreatEscaper, Mar 10, 2016
    The cogs are practically unrelated to the game. They just let your robot walk an inconsequential amount faster. The one useful thing is it gives you an extra life at some point, but even doing levels slowly you'll unlock this around halfway through the game. I didn't think about doing levels fast when I played through this, it's the only element of the game which I think is kind of pointless.

Will definitely pick up Evo Explores too. Always space for another escherian game on my iPad.

16. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Wonderful game is all I have to say.

17. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Spot on!

18. I feel a little bit guilty playing this, but if ustwo won't give us more MV.... :/

I am enjoying it quite a bit, but finding the cranks don't always work so well. Sometimes I end up fighting with them to make them turn. Anyone else having this problem?

And MV spoiled me with their flawless iCloud saves. This one makes me start a new game on each device.

I also made a walkthrough video for chapter 1 if anyone needs help:

19. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #39 Pipipitchu, Mar 10, 2016
    Monument Valley's developers thank/mention/refer to Escher all the time.

I think calling this game a clone is exagerated, but saying there are a billion of different things is exagerated too. For me "similar" would be the right word.

For me this game is more like "Monument Valley with a twist", the same concept explored with some key differences. Like those strategy games similar to Clash of Clans or those tower defenses like similar to Kingdom Rush. And it doesn't necessarily mean the game is bad.

I'm glad to see a game similar to one of the best mobile games ever made! It's way better to see games similar to crappy stuff like Flappy Bird or 2048.

20. #40 AppUnwrapper, Mar 10, 2016
    This is not an easy game! Second boss is stressing me out.

Is there any rhyme or reason to where the balls land when they bounce? I'm trying to stop and get them to go over my head, but they seem to bounce anywhere and everywhere.