iPad Dream Chronicles by Playfirst

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Moggy_Lloyd, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Moggy_Lloyd

Moggy_Lloyd Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Web manager
    London
    I can't post an App Store link right now, just an Appshopper link:

http://appshopper.com/games/dream-chronicles

Dream Chronicles by Playfirst looks really well put together as most of their games are. It also looks really interesting - however, the description doesn't seem to actually say what the game is. I don't know if it's a hidden object game, an adventure / RPG, puzzle game or what it is.

Does anyone know anything about this one?

2. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    #2 CandyNJ66, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
    [​IMG] $4.99

Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This looks really quite interesting! I will keep my eye on this one.

GatorDeb.... hehe

Edit: This is from playfirst, they did Diner Dash and Chocolatier among others, so I will prob get this one after researching it more.

3. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I also had the problem finding out what this game is. :) #marketingfail

4. CloudStryder

CloudStryder Active Member

Mar 30, 2009
    hey, looks really good. a myst type game on the ipod would be great, though i know ones suppose to be coming...

now if they could post a vid or some details,
    they can have mah money ^^

5. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Looks good, who wants to TOFFT? :p

6. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    A rough google search turned up bits of info.

It seems to be a point-and-click puzzle adventure game (like Myst) with some hidden objects (gems) to find.

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Finally and adventure for the iPhone!!! (A genre perfect for the platform, but unfortunately not very common...)

Any impulse buyer who wants to share some impressions? Reviews for the PC version are quite good....I was waiting for iMyst (submitted 17 April to Apple according to Cyan) but I'm tempted....

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    This looks interesting. I'm picking this up, but I won't be able to post impressions until later tonight since I'm at work.

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks!
    Looking forward your first impressions!!! (If I do not purchase it before :) )

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    The screenshots provide some good initial impressions (like that tells you much), but I agree that the description is lacking. It looks good enough that I'll check it out.

11. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
  12. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    /subscribe

13. Moggy_Lloyd

Mar 16, 2009
    Web manager
    London
    I've just been doing a bit of searching around on the web and it seems this is a port of a popular PC game from a couple of years back.

The PC version received some very positive reviews. They describe it as a cross between a point-and-click adventure and a hidden object game. The reviews say the game was beautifully put together and very enjoyable to play, though a little on the short side. It's supposed to have a very nice fairytale / fantasy feel to it.

I'm really tempted by this now that I know some more about it, but one thing which puts me off slightly is something one of the reviewers of the PC game mentioned, that they were able to complete the game in four hours. That's not a huge amount of game time and I don't think there would be much replayability either.

14. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Moggy, if you don't sit and play games for hours on your idevice and play them in separate sittings, the replay value will be better. :)

I don't have time to finish a game in one sitting, they are all spread over a lot of time. I haven't finished one single game on my iDevice yet in having it since Feb of this year.

15. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #15 DaveMc99, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  16. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I have to say that the information in the link ruins the game. It spoils the entire experience by showing where hidden items are located. Be aware of that before you click on it.

@Dave: you really should add TA Resident Research Director to your sig. :)

17. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Yeah I like to google ;) hmm do people really not know what a walkthrough is? It tells you exactly how to finish a game.

18. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I thought it was necessary to state that a little more explicitly before some poor kid clicks on the link without understanding the consequences...dire warning huh?

As in life, don't do drugs and don't do walkthroughs (unless that's what you want...I mean the walkthrough part). :rolleyes:

19. Moggy_Lloyd

Mar 16, 2009
    Web manager
    London
    As with most of what you say Candy, these are good points :) I only play games in short sessions so this would probably last several weeks or months even if completing was only to take four hours in total.

Like you, I've never yet completed a game on my iDevice either! I don't even think I've got close to completing anything. I've been working on Puzzle Quest for quite a while and I've barely scratched the surface of that one (supposedly 40 hours of play in total).

Speaking of Puzzle Quest, I've just seen the description of Dream Chronicles mentions it as a "fans of Puzzle Quest will like this" game. This makes it even more tempting for me - very close to hitting 'nuy now' now :)

20. Moggy_Lloyd

Mar 16, 2009
    Web manager
    London
    I've just tried the free 30-minute trial from the Playfirst website. I'm very impressed. It's a very enchanting game - playing it feels like being stuck inside a Neil Gaiman book!

There's a very heavy hidden object element in the game but there is also some interesting puzzle solving to do. It's a bit like an interactive fairytale. It's certainly different and I think it could be worth exploring some more.